• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to clean a REALLY dirty gun that hasn't been cleaned in a LONG time.

pkbites

imported post

I inherited a rifle, a Springfield model 15. It's in good shape except it is really DIRTY! It looks like it was fired a bunch of times and then not cleaned for 30 years. There is a hard patch of gummed residue inside the chamber and the bolt is hard to pull back because of the gummed up dirt.

I've had firearms my entire life, but I've never had to deal with something as extreme as this. It is really, really gunked up and dirty.

Should I take the barrel/receiver off the stock and just soak it in Gun Scrubber for a long time and then try to clean this goop off?

Or is there something else I should try? This is extreme gunky build up like semi-hardened chewing gum.

KnightSG7

imported post

I would break it down as much as possible, and soak it in some Break Free CLP or hoppes #9 (stuff would take anything off an old M1 carbine I cleaned for a friend).

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If the above suggestions still leave you with a sticking bolt and a wad of gunk in the barrel/chamber, I recommend you go down to your local automotive (or old-fashioned hardware) store and become aquainted with penetrating oil. "KROIL" is the most famous brand, but there are others.

Stand the gun upright and pour a small amount - maybe 1 ounce - down the barrel. Let it sit for a day or so, but have something underneath to catch anything that might drain out. A towel your SO no longer cares about is good to use. After a good long soak, try the ation and see how much it has feed up. If it works enough to completely cycle, open up the action and try a patch soaked in penetrating oil down the barrel. See if that wad of gunk comes loose.

If everything is now functioning, you are ready to do the second soaking with penetrating oil. This time you are hoping that stuff stuck to the grooves of the barrel, and to the contact points of the action will loosen up and come free.

Now go ahead and use your regular cleaning products. Remember, there is never going to be a absolutely, completely clean patch coming through, unless you want to wear yourself and the metal out.

Have fun, and stay safe.

skidmark

OBXMIKE

imported post

In normal circumstances, I'd never recommend using a stainless steel "tornado brush", but for one that's been grimed for decades, it could get the crud worked out in conjunction with the kroil soak. They are hard on a barrel, so don't over-do it.

Another trick is to chuck an over-size bronze bore brush in your drill and go to town on it with some flitz polish.

Both have worked for me. Good luck!