Thread: Unusual occurance at my front door

Post imported post

So on the 23rd at about 1730, the front doorbell rang. Naturally the dog went nuts and went to answer the door with the 1911 half unholstered. There stood a guy in his early 20's in a ratty hoodie and baggy jeans telling me that they were doing introductory carpet cleanings in our area. As a free gift, he tried to hand me a can of Febreeze. He had no ID, no uniform, no clipboard or documentation, didn't give a name for himself or the company.

I looked out and saw two other "gentlemen" standing on the sidewalk. Both were rather mangy looking. I basically ignored his pitch while watching his movements and their positions on the street. The whole time he was pitching, he was trying to look around and past me into the house. I told him no thanks and to beat it. He was cool about it and promptly left with his two lackys but I knew I had just been cased.

I must say that my danger awareness was really high, and the wife picked up on it. Even she was nervous about the encounter. Unfortunately, I had to head to DIA to pick up my older son. I wasn't thrilled to leave her and the 2 yr old alone. So, for the first time, she carried her C9 (I must admit, it was hot!). I also put the Mossberg 590 with 8 shells of 00 in the upstairs bathroom with a phone (thats our Alamo), and told her to carry her cell as well.

Luckily we heard nothing from them since and I'm really hoping no one in the neighborhood got robbed or worse.

My question(s) is this: does this sound like a case to you or am I paranoid? And, should I alert the local PD as to what happened.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Call the PD. If nothing else they can verify the business license status of the 'salesmen.' Our business licenses prohibited many business practices including door-to-door for just these reasons.

Post imported post

they sound like kirby salesman. I know because I used to be one of those guys for a couple of months. Except we were told to dress very professionally with a shirt and tie. Just a guess. Better to be careful then grieving in the future.

Post imported post

PD call for sure. You were cased. The PD needs to know when it happened, and all details you can remember. Someone else will not be at your level of SA.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
    So on the 23rd at about 1730, the front doorbell rang. Naturally the dog went nuts and went to answer the door with the 1911 half unholstered. [snip]
    So--you let your dog carry a gun?

Frankly, I'm not sure what to think. There is a chance, although a slim one, that this guy was legit. Some people have absolutely NO sense of professionalism. I once saw a receptionist in a law firm who was dressed very inappropriately. It's also possible that they were scam artists rather than would-be robbers.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    Call the PD. If nothing else they can verify the business license status of the 'salesmen.' Our business licenses prohibited many business practices including door-to-door for just these reasons.
    I agree. Three guys, no equipment, dressed like bums. About as fishy as it can get.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

tito887 wrote:
    they sound like kirby salesman. I know because I used to be one of those guys for a couple of months. Except we were told to dress very professionally with a shirt and tie. Just a guess. Better to be careful then grieving in the future.
    lol kirby FTL

Post imported post

Funny, one guy at work said it could have been Kirby salesmen as well.

And yes, the dog carries. LMAO!!!!!!!! A family that carries together, survives together.

Thanks for the opinions. I'll definitely give the CRPD a call tomorrow.

Post imported post

The dog carries a gun? What next, a shark with a frikkin' laser beam?

I had a visit from some complete punks a few months ago trying to sell me Verizon FIOS service. They were teenagers, dressed like slobs, and smart mouthed. I sent them on their way, and Verizon's poor choice in salesmen is costing them business. Had they come after dark I would've been very suspicious.

Post imported post

I'd say you were cased. I think you definitely should have been on heightend alert. I probably would have felt the same way. Also, You should let your neighbors know about folks going around casing the neighborhood.

Post imported post

1730 is NIGHT-TIME along the Front Range. HOODIES ??? - for Pete's sake !

Definitely warrants a PD report . Ofcourse the inability of law enforcement to curtail burglaryand home invasionepidemic is responsible in part for the unfortunate shooting of an intoxicated individualwho attempted to force his way into the wrong home the other night here.

I was approached at mid-day a couple of weeks ago outside my granddaughter's home with a similar "pitch" - but the guy at least presented himself "decently". Something about carpet cleaning with some "freebie" included. The foot peddler was shadowed by a guy driving a small pickup pulling a utility trailer. My second "NO THANKS" sent him on down the sidewalk.

Trailer could have contained carpet cleaning equipment - or intended for stashing the "loot". I'm thinking - an excellent way to "case" homes for high dollar items.

Post imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
    The dog carries a gun? What next, a shark with a frikkin' laser beam?
    Well, we could only get mutant sea bass for the pool in my front yard. :P

Post imported post

Are they ill tempered?

Post imported post

I can't believe anyone still attempts to sell anything door to door, ridiculous way to sell. I would call the police in that situation, immediately. You don't want them finding some older person or child home alone. I definitely don't think you are paranoid, I see it as being prepared for the worst. THAT MAKES YOU A SMART GUY !

Be safe & thanks for the reminder, we all need to take precautions as the economy slides deeper into a hole.