• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TV Show hits on 2A rights

FoGKeebler

imported post

When recently watching the 2nd season of Bones i came across something in episode 12 that made me play it again to see if what I heard was what I heard. It seams as though one of the characters makes a pro 2A statement. Ill let you decide for yourself.

To set it up for those who don't watch the show, Bones is a series about a forensic anthropologist named Bones. She in just about every episode up till episode 12 continues to asks her FBI partner for a gun to which he always tells her she don't need one. To me this clip shows 2 sides to the gun ownership debate, Booth the FBI agent who is against Bones a private citizen having firearm and Bones who takes a stand and gets a firearm on her own because she knows shes entitled to own a firearm.

This clip starts off with Angela asking bones how she deals with the fear of being attacked. The rest is self explanatory although the clip deals with the size of the gun in a suggestive manner. The statement is made at the end of the clip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33668550@N07/3135438969/

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

"...anybody sees you with that, pretty soon everybody's gonna be packing!"

"Yeah? Well, get used to it. This is America."

FTW. :celebrate

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

FoGKeebler wrote:
To set it up for those who don't watch the show, Bones is a series about a forensic anthropologist named Bones.

The ultra-corny irony keeps me from watching it.

Thumbs up to them for portraying the "anti" guy as the douchebag and giving her a good comeback.

Sheriff

imported post

Good clip! quotes: "Bigger is better!" "Size does matter!" :lol:

A city manager where I once worked felt bigger wasn't better. I carried a chrome.41 magnum 6" Smith and Wesson for many years. Well, until the city manager saw it one day supposedly. He told my sheriff it was too intimidating to the public. Since the city manager and sheriff were both new, I now often wonder who the weapon actually offended, the city manager or the sheriff.

srage10

imported post

AWDstylez wrote:
FoGKeebler wrote:
To set it up for those who don't watch the show, Bones is a series about a forensic anthropologist named Bones.

The ultra-corny irony keeps me from watching it.

Thumbs up to them for portraying the "anti" guy as the douchebag and giving her a good comeback.
Her name isn't actually Bones it's Temperance Brennan. Bones is the nickname the FBI agent gave her since that's what she works with all day long.

It's a good show, you should give it a chance.

sraacke

imported post

The novels are so much better. I like the TV show but they had to dumb it down and Hollywood it up so much it's barely a shadow of the character from the novels.

Jizzzle

imported post

i flinched involuntarily about 10 times watching her point at her costars... if i was in the room she woulda gotten slapped and the gun taken from her, not nessesarily in that order.

Gordie

imported post

It looked to me like it was a S&W .500, yeah that's a good gun for a beginner.:shock: I would like to see her actually try to use it for more than a prop.

Sheriff

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
i flinched involuntarily about 10 times watching her point at her costars... if i was in the room she woulda gotten slapped and the gun taken from her, not nessesarily in that order.

I was in Louisa County picking up an "assault rifle" ( :) ) recently. Also present was an older lady who appeared to be making her first handgun purchase ever. She repeatedly had it aimed at the store owner while examining it. He finally had to take the handgun away from her. She could not understand what it meant when the store owner kept asking her to not have it aimed at anything she wasn't prepared to shoot.

I have no idea if she finally bought a handgun or not. I grabbed up my purchase and left. God help her or anybody around her if she did.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I don't remember the name of the movie (maybe it was the same as the quote) but I'm sure you all remember the famous line:
"Stop! Or my Mon will Shoot!"
That last comment just reminded me of that....

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Gordie wrote:
It looked to me like it was a S&W .500, yeah that's a good gun for a beginner.:shock: I would like to see her actually try to use it for more than a prop.

Yea it is supposed to be a .500 mag. Somehow, in the filming it looks too small to actually be a "X" frame. I think they may be using a 629 for filming and just are calling it a .500. It is hard to tell from watching the show, but it just looks too small in her had to be a .500 mag.

Regards

Gordie

imported post

Actually they're not too bad with the light loads as long as you're ready for it. I know several people who own them and it's not much worse than a .44 mag. If you use heavy loads, OUCH! There is just no way to make it pleasant.

For someone who doesn't have shooting experience though, it could be interesting regardless of the load used. Better to have a smaller gun that you can master than a cannon that you can't control.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
I would have to vote a S&W 500 with a 4" barrel. If fired, it wouldmost likely smack her in the face like in this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM2jRrv0dCM

Well the one in my avatar is a .500 4".

The recoil is not all that big a deal. In fact I modified one of the non-vented barrel attachments from the .475 so it would fit the .500 and installed it on mine. I prefer not to have a functioning compensator on the 4". The gas vents on the standard pistol are VERY loud, and while I suppose they help a lot on the long barrel models where there is some leverage, on the four inch, they just blow hot gas in your sight picture. Also I want to be able to load and carry snake shot in this and those holes in the top of the barrel would not work well in combination with that.

Regards