Thread: Personal Defense Ammo?

Post imported post

If you (God forbid) ever have to use deadly force you could likely find yourself in court, criminal or civil. If this happens aprosecuting attorney will look for anything you did to enhance your ability to kill someone. Including loading your own ammo.It also leaves no way for authorities no way to prove you are telling the truth about the distance (or lack there of) of the threat, because they have no certified ammo to run ballistics and powder residue test with. The most recent article I have read on this is Court Issues and Armed Citizen Self-Defense in Gun's and Ammo's Book of Personal Defense.

After reading this and other articles on legal issues involving firearms I purchased some of Hornadys TAP Personal Defense Ammo for my carry guns. Not because I am loyal to Hornady or think this round is better ballisticly than any thing on the market. But because if I ever find myselfquestioned as to why I used a particular round, my answer will be simply that I was following the manufacturer's recommendations. At a buck a round it is hopefully the most expensive 40 S&W ammo I will ever buy, but I think the possible limitation of questions in the future is worthevery penny.

What kind of ammo do the rest of you use in your carry guns?

Post imported post

the exact same thing I use at the range. handloads.
    I cannot afford to cycle factory ammo, and, am not too worried about civil actions. there isn't anything for them to take, even if they manage to violate MI law and take me to civil court without my being convicted in criminal.

also, my guns don't like most factory rounds, but my xd loves my personal load with GDHP. and my sig loves my personal load with XTP. :-p better accuracy, and better reliability, with a quality handload.

Post imported post

Load my firearm with live rounds have carried mixed rounds same caliber for a reason to stay alive .

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Federal EFMJ

Post imported post

Corbon DPX in all calibers, it's expensive but I'm worth it

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Most of the time I carry my .45LC with 280 grain cast semi-wadcutters at 1150fps. My primary threat here is bears. Over penatration would not be a problem where I live.

When I go to the "big city" with my 1911, I load it with Federal 230 grain Hydra-shoks.

Post imported post

Winchester 230 gr SXT's in both G21SF & S&W 1911.

Post imported post

on this same type of topic, i think it would be best to go over pistols also.
    when i was in my class, one of the things mentioned was to carry a pistol that is not modified (functionality wise... trigger job, safety modifications, etc).

things like sights, grips, etc were ok to be modified.

his reason (the lawyer guy we had in our cpl class) was that prosecutures would use those modifications for their case. such as... he really didn't mean to shoot the guy or it went off because safety devices were disabled, etc.

i haven't seen any posts about that, but that came up in our class at the same time as ammunition (in regards to using factory self defense type loads rather then your own loads).

anyway... on my own land or in the woods or farmland areas (not worried about bad guys here... more of a wild boar and coyote problem), i'll carry my own loads, but out in town, i'll carry some type of factory self defense load.

Post imported post

I use my own 45 ACP reloads. 230 grain FMJ's being pushed by a healthy dose of Universal. I think it offers the best balance of power and penetration, but not so much that it would penetrate 3 or 4 walls and risk hurting a neighbor.

Should I use factory ammo in case some anti gun court gives me a hard time in the unlikely event that I have to defend myself? Maybe. But I definitely think the most important thing is to use ammo I know will work, and that's why I use my own.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I also carry Hornady TAPs in my xd .45 Federal hydrashok in my CZ 75c 9mm. the TAPs because they feed nicely,that teflon makes them slick. The Federals because they have a good reputation (a lot of p.d.s use them), and I found a good deal on them , cheaperthandirt.com has great prices on these.

Post imported post

Cor-bon DPX
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

hydra-shok in my 9mm

Post imported post

Personal Defense Demands Superior Ammunition.
    Protecting the safety and security of your family requires ammunition that is accurate, deadly and dependable.
    Hornady ammunition is the brand of choice for tactical teams, snipers and police officers throughout the world because it performs flawlessly. Now you can have the same reliable ammunition technology for your personal defense needs.
    Hornady’s new family of TAP™ For Personal Defense (TAP FPD™) ammo is superior tactical ammunition designed specifically for protection from deadly threats. TAP FPD™ is engineered to deliver reliable and consistent performance every single time.
    FEATURES:
    • Loaded with Hornady bullets that deliver the terminal performance law enforcement and military professionals have trusted for years.
    • Revolutionary black, nickel-coated cases eliminate the potential for corrosion and improve feeding in all firearms.
    • Propellents are engineered to protect your night vision by minimizing muzzle flash.
    • TAP™ For Personal Defense Buckshot Ammo produces the tightest patterns of any buckshot on the market.

The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Post imported post

I have been using Remington Golden Saber for my S&W 469 9mm. I spent $14.99 for 25 of them. I was at Wally World and found some Winchester 147gr JHP personal protection rounds at $15.97 for a 50 round box. I could not resist. Has anyone had any experience with this round?

SailorWatson

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sailorwatson wrote:
    I have been using Remington Golden Saber for my S&W 469 9mm. I spent $14.99 for 25 of them. I was at Wally World and found some Winchester 147gr JHP personal protection rounds at $15.97 for a 50 round box. I could not resist. Has anyone had any experience with this round?

SailorWatson
    Winchester makes a great round. I'm guessing 9mm Luger, at 147gr. I love it. It leaves my gun MUCH cleaner than most other rounds, too.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Sailorwatson wrote:

SailorWatson
    Winchester makes a great round. I'm guessing 9mm Luger, at 147gr. I love it. It leaves my gun MUCH cleaner than most other rounds, too.
    That is correct on the Luger.

Banned

Post imported post

]http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=110')]

The 155gr Gold Dot @ 1275fps from a Glock 23!

1200fps 495 ft/lbs from a 3.5"bbl.

1310fps 590 ft/lbs from a 4.5"bbl.

10mm 165gr. Golden Saber 50rds
    $34.95

]http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=34')][/url]
    This defensive load combines the ultimate in bullet technology
    with good old fashioned SPEED!

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 165gr Remington Golden Saber Hollow Point

Ballistics : 1425fps/ 744ft./lbs. - Glock 20

40 S&W AFR

Tungsten-Nytrilium Fragmentable Explosive Entry Air Freedom Round. The AFR round disintegrates when it hits hard targets such as many interior walls and airplane skins, but retains astonishing stopping power on organic targets.

Specifications:
    -Caliber: .40 S&W
    -Grain: 100
    -Velocity: 1450 fps
    -Energy: 467 ft. lbs.