• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Personal Defense Ammo?

SIGfreed

imported post

If you (God forbid) ever have to use deadly force you could likely find yourself in court, criminal or civil. If this happens aprosecuting attorney will look for anything you did to enhance your ability to kill someone. Including loading your own ammo.It also leaves no way for authorities no way to prove you are telling the truth about the distance (or lack there of) of the threat, because they have no certified ammo to run ballistics and powder residue test with. The most recent article I have read on this is Court Issues and Armed Citizen Self-Defense in Gun's and Ammo's Book of Personal Defense.

After reading this and other articles on legal issues involving firearms I purchased some of Hornadys TAP Personal Defense Ammo for my carry guns. Not because I am loyal to Hornady or think this round is better ballisticly than any thing on the market. But because if I ever find myselfquestioned as to why I used a particular round, my answer will be simply that I was following the manufacturer's recommendations. At a buck a round it is hopefully the most expensive 40 S&W ammo I will ever buy, but I think the possible limitation of questions in the future is worthevery penny.

What kind of ammo do the rest of you use in your carry guns?

joshuaeberly

imported post

the exact same thing I use at the range. handloads.
I cannot afford to cycle factory ammo, and, am not too worried about civil actions. there isn't anything for them to take, even if they manage to violate MI law and take me to civil court without my being convicted in criminal.

also, my guns don't like most factory rounds, but my xd loves my personal load with GDHP. and my sig loves my personal load with XTP. :p better accuracy, and better reliability, with a quality handload.

knifemaker

imported post

Most of the time I carry my .45LC with 280 grain cast semi-wadcutters at 1150fps. My primary threat here is bears. Over penatration would not be a problem where I live.

When I go to the "big city" with my 1911, I load it with Federal 230 grain Hydra-shoks.

viperar15

imported post

on this same type of topic, i think it would be best to go over pistols also.
when i was in my class, one of the things mentioned was to carry a pistol that is not modified (functionality wise... trigger job, safety modifications, etc).

things like sights, grips, etc were ok to be modified.

his reason (the lawyer guy we had in our cpl class) was that prosecutures would use those modifications for their case. such as... he really didn't mean to shoot the guy or it went off because safety devices were disabled, etc.

i haven't seen any posts about that, but that came up in our class at the same time as ammunition (in regards to using factory self defense type loads rather then your own loads).

anyway... on my own land or in the woods or farmland areas (not worried about bad guys here... more of a wild boar and coyote problem), i'll carry my own loads, but out in town, i'll carry some type of factory self defense load.

Michigander

imported post

I use my own 45 ACP reloads. 230 grain FMJ's being pushed by a healthy dose of Universal. I think it offers the best balance of power and penetration, but not so much that it would penetrate 3 or 4 walls and risk hurting a neighbor.

Should I use factory ammo in case some anti gun court gives me a hard time in the unlikely event that I have to defend myself? Maybe. But I definitely think the most important thing is to use ammo I know will work, and that's why I use my own.

poppapaz

imported post

I also carry Hornady TAPs in my xd .45 Federal hydrashok in my CZ 75c 9mm. the TAPs because they feed nicely,that teflon makes them slick. The Federals because they have a good reputation (a lot of p.d.s use them), and I found a good deal on them , cheaperthandirt.com has great prices on these.

LaVere

imported post

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
40_S&W_TAP_FPD_118.jpg

Personal Defense Demands Superior Ammunition.
[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Protecting the safety and security of your family requires ammunition that is accurate, deadly and dependable.[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Hornady ammunition is the brand of choice for tactical teams, snipers and police officers throughout the world because it performs flawlessly. Now you can have the same reliable ammunition technology for your personal defense needs.[/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Hornady’s new family of TAP™ For Personal Defense (TAP FPD™) ammo is superior tactical ammunition designed specifically for protection from deadly threats. TAP FPD™ is engineered to deliver reliable and consistent performance every single time.[/font]
[font="verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]FEATURES:[/font]
  • [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Loaded with Hornady bullets that deliver the terminal performance law enforcement and military professionals have trusted for years.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Revolutionary black, nickel-coated cases eliminate the potential for corrosion and improve feeding in all firearms.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Propellents are engineered to protect your night vision by minimizing muzzle flash.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]TAP™ For Personal Defense Buckshot Ammo produces the tightest patterns of any buckshot on the market.[/font]

tap_groupsht_sm.jpg

Sailorwatson

imported post

I have been using Remington Golden Saber for my S&W 469 9mm. I spent $14.99 for 25 of them. I was at Wally World and found some Winchester 147gr JHP personal protection rounds at $15.97 for a 50 round box. I could not resist. Has anyone had any experience with this round?

SailorWatson

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sailorwatson wrote:
I have been using Remington Golden Saber for my S&W 469 9mm. I spent $14.99 for 25 of them. I was at Wally World and found some Winchester 147gr JHP personal protection rounds at $15.97 for a 50 round box. I could not resist. Has anyone had any experience with this round?

SailorWatson

Winchester makes a great round. I'm guessing 9mm Luger, at 147gr. I love it. It leaves my gun MUCH cleaner than most other rounds, too.

Sailorwatson

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Sailorwatson wrote:

SailorWatson

Winchester makes a great round. I'm guessing 9mm Luger, at 147gr. I love it. It leaves my gun MUCH cleaner than most other rounds, too.
That is correct on the Luger.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

pixel_trans.gif

]http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=110')]
40SW%20155GD.JPG

The 155gr Gold Dot @ 1275fps from a Glock 23!

1200fps 495 ft/lbs from a 3.5"bbl.

1310fps 590 ft/lbs from a 4.5"bbl.

10mm 165gr. Golden Saber 50rds
$34.95

pixel_trans.gif

]http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=34')][/url]
10mm%20165gshp.JPG

This defensive load combines the ultimate in bullet technology
with good old fashioned SPEED!

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 165gr Remington Golden Saber Hollow Point

Ballistics : 1425fps/ 744ft./lbs. - Glock 20

40 S&W AFR

40s&w_af.jpg
Tungsten-Nytrilium Fragmentable Explosive Entry Air Freedom Round. The AFR round disintegrates when it hits hard targets such as many interior walls and airplane skins, but retains astonishing stopping power on organic targets.

Specifications:
-Caliber: .40 S&W
-Grain: 100
-Velocity: 1450 fps
-Energy: 467 ft. lbs.