Thread: How to identify yourself as a "Good Guy" to police under a bad situation?

Post imported post

What if you find yourself in a Columbine or similar situation. Police show up and see you with your gun not knowing who you are, what is the proper thing to do? How would one identify him/herself without getting shot by the police?

http://www.officer.com/interactive/2...-is-mandatory/

Comments?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Rule of thumb: IF you're not in immediate danger, your gun is holstered. IF you see the boys in blue, your gun had better be holstered quick.

Edit to add: Call 911 if you're present and armed. Let them know so they know there's a potential good guy at the scene, and not to go a-blazing at the first MWAG they see.

Post imported post

1) if possible, call 911 and describe yourself.
    2) if at all tactically possible, disarm yourself at first contact with PD.
    3) ID YOURSELF IMMEDIATELY. While I understand some of the attitudes regarding providing ID that have been presented elsewhere on this forum, I'm sure we all realize, but I'll say it anyway. there's a time and a place to refuse to ID. An active shooter situation IS NOT ONE OF THEM!!!! play it safe, and be smart.
    4) that's about it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thinking ahead is a good smart first play. Keep in mind it won't just be your adrenaline pumping at the scene, the officers will already be pumping as they are driving. Give the dispatcher a "simple" desciption, something that will stand out in the officers minds as they arrive on scene. Wether it be a color shirt or pants, something they will easily identify with and think about.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Chances are you are SOL, and will die in a hail of police bullets.

Your widow will wonder why you turned into a head case and started shooting people at random, forcing the police to kill you, because you can be sure thats what the official story will be in most jurisdictions.

Your call to 911 will be reported as part of your insidious plot.

Post imported post

ilbob wrote:
    Chances are you are SOL, and will die in a hail of police bullets.

Your widow will wonder why you turned into a head case and started shooting people at random, forcing the police to kill you, because you can be sure thats what the official story will be in most jurisdictions.

Your call to 911 will be reported as part of your insidious plot.
    I see you are from Illinois.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

A couple "rules" I will live by if in that type of situation.

1. Call 911 and identify myself.
    2. Don't spin around and pointmy gun that the responding officers.
    3. Yell "Off duty (city) police officer" while following any orders of the responding officers. (drop the gun, lay down on the ground etc...)

I'm not a police officer, but hopfully it will keep the cops from wrongly shooting ME, which at THAT moment is my #1 goal. There will be more than enough time to sort everything out later.

In a very bad situation my number one goal is to stay alive, everything else is second.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    3. Yell "Off duty (city) police officer" while following any orders of the responding officers.
    Huh? Impersonate a police officer? For sure going to get you arrested and convicted.

Post imported post

Better than getting shot, many times, over and over resulting in my death. :?

Smell what I'm stepping in?

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Better than getting shot, many times, over and over resulting in my death. :?

Smell what I'm stepping in?
    If they give you the chance to say anything (i.e. you are an off duty officer"), that means they didn't come out guns blazing. I'm not sure how it would benefit you in that situation.

Post imported post

It would simply give them pause and me a few seconds to insure I remanded hole-less.

Mike,

Being a lawyer I figured you would pick up the fact that I simply stated "Off duty (city) police officer".

I purposely made an incomplete statement. I didn't state "I AM AN off duty officer". I would think a good lawyer would argue that I didn't actually state that I am an officer. Therefor I was not "impersonating a police officer".

But IANAL so I guess I could be wrong, but alive.

Post imported post

Not bad...

Maybe just yelling 'police officer, police officer' would be better. If you survive and are asked why you were trying to impersonate an officer, you reply "I was just trying to get the officers' attention...", which is the absolute truth.

Carry on

Post imported post

I like that one too.