• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reality TV show and 2A

JBURGII

imported post

I can't remember which one, not COPS or Speeders.. but one of the dashboard camera cop show was on the other night which I do like to watch because most of them are deserving of the attention by LE.. (innocent till proven guilty)...

The particular one I am writing about was LEO response to a MWAG call on a fellow in a gas station. Apparently stopped for fuel and a soda.. the stop showed officers approach his vehicle one with handgun the other officer with his AR on target.. !! They pulled the guy out of his car while the narrator made mention of his clothing style being similar to that of known white supremecists.. It appeared he was OC and was telling officers he also had CHL and kept repeating his legal status.. "My license is current, ins is current, registration is current and my CHL is valid, they don't give permits to bad guys.. I haven't done anything.." as they slam him on the hood of the patrol car.. then as video is cut, thenarrator mentions the guywas found to be perfectly legal and was carrying his firearm in accordance with all state and fed laws.

Unfortunately in todays society folks tend to judge a book by its cover.. I used to wear long black overcoats when I was younger.. then comes along the trenchcoat mafia and there went half my wardrobe.. Then I started keeping my hair close cropped and on occasion was mistaken for an Aryan.. I have noticed since I started OC that I have tried to adjust my appearance to a bit more conservative and even kept the stubble under control.. I have worried a few times when I am in my grubby work clothes doing plumbing or such on my rentals and have my .45 that it would come across wrong.. I sure as heck still do it.. I just wonder though, as much flack as some of us get from the general public when we OC.. what about perfectly legal citizens who like to dress say goth or punk or whatever.. I can picture the panic... but what do you do?

This is just me thinking out loud... thought the episode was interesting..

James

JBURGII

imported post

Jizzzle wrote:
the only thing you can do is be yourself.

You are correct.. ".. to thine own self be true.." I have only done some minor adjustments without compromising myself in any real way. I was just commenting on the 'profiling' that occurs both among LE and the Sheeple. We are all guilty of such in at least a minor amount but when it becomes overt AND infringes on ones rights.. things that make you go hmmmmm.....

James

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I have noticed since I started OC that I have tried to adjust my appearance to a bit more conservative and even kept the stubble under control.. I have worried a few times when I am in my grubby work clothes doing plumbing or such on my rentals and have my .45 that it would come across wrong..
When I OC I also make a marked effort to look presentable. If they're gonna stare, might as well give 'em something worth lookin' at (besides the .45 on my hip :lol:).

Plus I know that I will have (hopefully beneficial) conversations with other citizens; first impressions and all that.

Hcidem

imported post

I often think about appearances in relation to OC and one's civil rights. My natural features render me usually acceptable by the general public. I feel I would have to go out of my way to appear menacing to anyone other than a gangbanger. I have not done anything particular to merit this level acceptance.

I have, at times, scoffed at folks (for example,African Americans, Hispanics, etc.)who seem to dwell on the issue of appearance and the exercise of civil rights. However, a person's appearance has a definite effect on other people's ability to accept them as a non-threat.

My favorite example is a person who resembles Jack Elam. I always loved seeing Jack Elam in any movie. He was a good actor, but his natural looks gave him a distinct advantage over more handsome men. Why don't we extend the same acceptance to men who look like Jack Elam as we do to others? Just food for thought.

Sheriff

imported post

It was on "Stories From The Highway Patrol". Extreme overreaction.

But you have to remember, it is taught in police academies nationwide that it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. They also teach the rookies, "do whatever youhave to do to insure you go home at the end of your shift!"

I blame the police academies for instilling so much fear in cops.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I try to mimic an old man with a pauch and a bad knee. Works all the time.

Uhhhhh.....wait! I AM an old man with a paunch.....and bad knee!:shock:

Guess I just try to be myself as another has said.:dude:

Sheriff

imported post

That may be the event the original poster is talking about, but it's not the one I saw on "Stories From The Highway Patrol". The clip I saw took place right at the gas pumps of a service station. It was very similar though, the "suspect" became extremely upset at having a high powered rifle aimed at him. The "suspect's" comments were trailed off as the commentator said he was released and had done nothing wrong.

Jizzzle

imported post

that's true about looking presentable. if we are trying to among other things set the example by ocing then we might as well set the example in that respect also. look respectable then you probably are respectable right?

MetalChris

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
MetalChris wrote:
Holy crap that sounds like the Dan Sayers incident!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LoXiZO6G6g
Is there a thread here about the aftermath of that video?

I sure would like to see the end results.
All charges were dismissed, but he didn't go after them for a settlement. I'm a little foggy on the details, and the story isn't up at OFCC anymore because Dan had a falling out with them.

Sheriff

imported post

MetalChris wrote:

All charges were dismissed, but he didn't go after them for a settlement.
Never should have been any charges in the first place.

The cops further overstepped their bounds when they suggestedSayers be committed for a mental evaluation. Sayers had every right in the world to be upset.

MetalChris

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
MetalChris wrote:

All charges were dismissed, but he didn't go after them for a settlement.
Never should have been any charges in the first place.

The cops further overstepped their bounds when they suggestedSayers be committed for a mental evaluation. Sayers had every right in the world to be upset.
Oh I agree completely. I wish I could remember why he didn't go after them in civil court. I know there was a reason but just can't freakin remember what it was.

Sheriff

imported post

MetalChris wrote:
Oh I agree completely. I wish I could remember why he didn't go after them in civil court. I know there was a reason but just can't freakin remember what it was.
Very interesting. Fear of retribution and retaliation possibly?

MetalChris

imported post

Could be, but I doubt it. From my experiences back at OFCC Dan isn't one to back down from anything.

JBURGII

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
Look like whoever you are. RKBA is not just for middle-aged men. (Sure, easy for me, a 46 year old to say.) Defy profiling.

I usually come across as harmless, but there had been times I dressed slightly different and in a way I might not now. But I do have a long black duster and on occasion wear surplus military garb being the redneck that I am.. looking a bit like one of Oregons fine survivalist citizens.. but the thing is also each officer might have something that gives them a 'red flag'.. where another might not notice.. so it can be a crap shoot eh!?

I figured someone on here had some info on the event I posted as a lot of those shows have clips from years gone by.. it gave me a good excuse for this line of discussion..

Hope ya'll had a great Christmas!

James

Sheriff

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
Hope ya'll had a great Christmas!

James

Well, thanks for asking. I certainly did. Even though I found another new laptop computer under the tree for me, I enjoyed opening the Magpul 30 round magazines more. Me wife hates guns, but she will still buy me gun stuff!

( I am going to assignone of the older laptops in the bathroom now, so I don't miss a minute of the fun and excitement here! :D )

And I hope you got plenty of new toys too! :celebrate