• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Job Police

joshuaeberly

imported post

alright, short and sweet.
about 23:30-00:00 hours, three shots fired outside, close enough that I ended up on my knee in my kitchen, xd in hand, on the phone with the cops.
they drove by, around the block, throughout the neighborhood. didn't find anything. (roughly 3 min response time).
about 00:30-1:00 hours(26'th) 1 shot outside, followed by two more about 45 seconds later. prompting another call to the PD. about 5 minutes later, I was on my deck (side of the house) down out of sight smoking(I don't smoke in the house, kid and pregnant wife). and heard a vehicle in the alley across the street, so, I peeked, and saw another vehicle come down the cross street(dead end), turn around at my intersection, and turn into the same alley. I thought, at that point, that I heard some "loading" noises, this turned out to be true, the second vehicle backed down the alley, and I thought I saw a rifle/shotgun barrel sticking up in the passenger seat, prompting another 911 call. the vehicle backed out of my line of sight, and then I heard 6-10 rapid shots. my ass ended up on the ground, behind my truck, on the phone with the cops AGAIN. (I'm not a cop yet, I'm not a vigilante, and they were far enough away to pose no legitimate threat). while I'm on the phone with the cops, I am watching a suv and two cars attempt to get off the ice slick that is called an alley. as the cops arrived, they passed one car that had made it out of the alley, (didn't get it then, don't know if another unit did). they did get the suv, and the other car, both of which contained "illegal" handguns(where's the shotgun/rifle??? I know I saw a barrel). all in all the cops did a great job. best part is, when I talked to one of them, I attempted to identify myself (as for CC, which is pretty much mandatory in 20 degree weather, ID is legally required to be preemptive here in MI). the cop stopped me and said "I know who you are, you've got a gun right? good." and "I wish more of you guys had guns, this is america right? we'd have less problems if more of you were armed".

tell you what, I've run into some real pricks on the GRPD and WPD forces(no sarcasm). but, the nerve of this cop, daring to suggest that law-abiding citizens should carry guns. I mean, there would be blood in the streets, wild-west style shootouts, etc..... WTF is his problem??? (sarcasm evident I hope).
all in all, I'm very glad that they were in the alley and not my street, as random shooting, 30 feet from my house, would pretty much require me to intervene, and I thank God every day that I don't have to.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

xd-40 wrote:
tell you what, I've run into some real pricks on the GRPD and WPD forces(no sarcasm). but, the nerve of this cop, daring to suggest that law-abiding citizens should carry guns. I mean, there would be blood in the streets, wild-west style shootouts, etc..... WTF is his problem??? (sarcasm evident I hope).
all in all, I'm very glad that they were in the alley and not my street, as random shooting, 30 feet from my house, would pretty much require me to intervene, and I thank God every day that I don't have to.
I'm sorry, but that is out of line! We should all respect the opinion of our local LEO's; even if it means that we must act responsibly and (shudder) arm ourselves.

:celebrate

ETA: I'm in agreement with JBURGII, well done considering the situation.

JBURGII

imported post

Foremost I'm thankful for you and your familys safety. Sounds like your actions were spot on under the circumstances.. and even though you didn't have to use your weapon, you did intervene successfully using other 'weapons' at your disposal.. your noggin, phone, and communication abilities which I am sure that LE appreciate.. having worked in conjunction with some Sheriffs, CHP and local PD in California, I know that good intel from 911 calls can make or break an investigation. I have personally burned countless valuable minutes searching for locations, vehicles or LEO having been given less than accurate information passed on from citizens via dispatch.

Sure some scary activity there.. As far as LEO response, it is good to hear positive stories about them. I enjoy giving good cops plenty of credit. I really enjoy hearing of them supporting our legal right to carry.

One question: Is this a frequent occurence in your neighborhood? I ask because I would like to hear from the guys here what they think about a persons response to a similar situation if it occurs often or if its the first time in your sphere. Would frequency of violence numb someone to the point of softening your response??

(I seem to get a bit verbose after 1a.m.) :? James

adam40cal

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
xd-40 wrote:
I'm sorry, but that is out of line! We should all respect the opinion of our local LEO's; even if it means that we must act responsibly and (shudder) arm ourselves.

:celebrate

ETA: I'm in agreement with JBURGII, well done considering the situation.

I hope your kidding about ( we should all respect our local LEO"S opinion ) everyone has an opinion, but LEO"S job isn't to have an opinion its to enforce the law; even if we like their opinion :).

Not picking on ya or nothin, just saying.

Hcidem

imported post

Boy! Merry Christmas at Ground Zero to you, xd-40!

Sounds like things went fairly well, all-in-all. By the way, does "WPD" refer to Walker or Wyoming? I'm trying to picture what side of town you are on since you mentioned a side deck and alley...NW? SW? I'm curious because I work in remodeling, and like to know the activity levels of the neighborhoods in which I work.

GR doesn't have anything comparable to the monthly crime maps published for Ann Arbor. I loved having those when I lived in Washtenaw County. I would bet GR would be embarassed to openly admit they have some hot spots (although they have no problem using their portable sub-stations in the summertime).

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

adam40cal wrote:
I hope your kidding about ( we should all respect our local LEO"S opinion ) everyone has an opinion, but LEO"S job isn't to have an opinion its to enforce the law; even if we like their opinion :).

Not picking on ya or nothin, just saying.
Yes. I was kidding (in line with the original poster's sarcasm).

Doesn't the dancing banana say it all?

:cool:

joshuaeberly

imported post

this specific type of occurence?? the first. however, it's probably the 4'th or 5'th time that I have called in shots fired.(and I don't get mistaken about that, not backfires, falling boards, frozen tree trunks cracking etc..)
about a month ago I chased 3 punks off a neighbor, they were beating him with a shovel and hammer. once again, I'm thankful I didn't have to draw, but they definitely figgered out that I was armed :p

joshuaeberly

imported post

wyoming, I haven't really met any walker PD, I don't get out that way. and it's SW grand rapids, I'm in hte good block, in the heart of the ghetto. it's the "visitors" and transients that cause problems here, not the residents. usually seems to pick up a bit in the winter, probably something to do with a lack of visible arms throughout the neighborhood when it's really cold.

JBURGII

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
this specific type of occurence?? the first. however, it's probably the 4'th or 5'th time that I have called in shots fired.(and I don't get mistaken about that, not backfires, falling boards, frozen tree trunks cracking etc..)
about a month ago I chased 3 punks off a neighbor, they were beating him with a shovel and hammer. once again, I'm thankful I didn't have to draw, but they definitely figgered out that I was armed :p

You can sure tell the difference in most occasions. I was in Salem, Or (city reg banning loaded carry) so had my .45 locked in the truck at a park (we were looking at a dog to adopt) when 3 reports from a large caliber handgun occured. It was crisp and foggy causing the sound to carry making it difficult to pinpoint. G/F looked at me funny cuz I jumped to the door of the truck and unlocked the gun.. didn't load at the time while scanning surrounding area.. in a wide open space so had time.. but just goes to show you never know when and where something is going to happen.

James

adam40cal

imported post

lol yeah, I was half asleep and bored, pretty much just felt like talking lol :cool:

Guess I should have just posted this ;)

nothingtogive.gif