• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man shoots 8 and himself..

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081226/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting]Man in Santa suit kills 8, self on Christmas Eve (AP) [/url]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081226/ap_on_re_us/santa_shooting

(working link)

"Pardo, 45, had no criminal record and no history of violence, according to police..."

"He was the nicest guy you could imagine. Always a pleasure to talk to, always a big smile."

I can't imagine how this could be spun in favor of gun control, but I'm sure it will happen.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I still don't see how this will be spun by the anti's, however I've already used it against the "It could never happen here/to us" people in my life.

It can happen. In your nice neighborhood. At your house. On Christmas.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Ican see all sorts of ways it could be spun. You need to remember that facts and logic have no place in such a tragedy.

2 guns recovered at the scene and 2 guns where he killed himsef? Clearly we need to limit who many guns people can own or guy. Does CA have a 1 a month law? if not one might be coming, if they already do, then maybe 2 a year.

Recently went througha divorce? Well probably should have people turn over all gunsduring a divorce process and for some timeafterfor a "cooling off" period.

Also this guy was carrying loaded guns, so clearly the concealed carry laws need to be looked at and probably "tighten" up the issuance of carry permits (even though he probably didn't have one).

Look at the quagmire that nickles started after a much less serious incident.I would not be surprised at all if the antis use this to push for all sorts of "reforms" so they can feel better.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

diesel556 wrote:
"Pardo, 45, had no criminal record and no history of violence, according to police..."

"He was the nicest guy you could imagine. Always a pleasure to talk to, always a big smile."

I can't imagine how this could be spun in favor of gun control, but I'm sure it will happen.
That is exactly how it could be spun. Here is a apparently upstanding guy, no history of anything ba, employed, active in his church, etc. If HE can't be trusted with such powerful weapons can anyone be????

See what access to handguns doesto otherwise rational people?

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

911Boss wrote:
diesel556 wrote:

That is exactly how it could be spun. Here is a apparently upstanding guy, no history of anything ba, employed, active in his church, etc. If HE can't be trusted with such powerful weapons can anyone be????

Bah. You and you're rationally illogical (is there such a thing?) spin. :p

PT111

imported post

911Boss wrote:
diesel556 wrote:

I think you hit right on something that the good folks on this board preach about consantly. That it is the BG's that shouldn't be armed and the trusted citizens of this country should and can be because only the BG's do terrible things with a gun. Whether or not this fellow had a permit it sure sounds like he wold have benn eligible for one. Sometimes even the GG's turn bad. All your sarcastic posts actually do go against the idea that anyone should be trusted with any gun until theyshootsomeone. I don't know of any reasonable laws that would have prevented this but even good people do bad things sometimes so this BS about just because someone has passed a backgorund check means they are OK is just BS.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
..but even good people do bad things sometimes so this BS about just because someone has passed a backgorund check means they are OK is just BS.
If you are saying that gun control laws (i.e. background checks) are inherently flawed, you'll find no argument here.

cynicist

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
This belongs in the California forum, not Washington.
As this is an issue that is on the front pages here, and will have a political effect here of some sort, discussing it here is legit.

When someone tries to create a law about people going through rough divorces not owning guns, or whatever they try to do here, they will cite this case.
I can foresee at some point in the future, though I don't know on what, someone will try to use this as a reason to back up a gun control law, and thus will be directly relevant here.

That being said, we could also say "If the partygoers had been carrying, that guy wouldn't have got past the first shot."

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cynicist wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
This belongs in the California forum, not Washington.
As this is an issue that is on the front pages here, and will have a political effect here of some sort, discussing it here is legit. 
Well, seeing as this made newspapers all over, I nominate you to make a dupe of this thread in every subforum. After all, discussing it anywhere would be "legit".

:quirky

PT111

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
..but even good people do bad things sometimes so this BS about just because someone has passed a backgorund check means they are OK is just BS.
If you are saying that gun control laws (i.e. background checks) are inherently flawed, you'll find no argument here.
Yes, background checks and gun control laws are flawed as are all laws. Inherently they cannot cover 100% of all cases and by that they are flawed but they are the best we have right now. My point is that just because someone has passed a background check or even a psychological exam by a professional it does not mean they can be trusted 100% and that is the point of LEO. When they walk up to a car that they have stopped for any reason they do not know you or what you are thinking. If you are walking down the street they don't know unless they ask. My wife was recently on jury duty and the person on trial didn't show up. When she was brought in she said she knew she wasn't guilty so she shouldn't have to stand trial, all of it was made up by the police. I see this same attitude on here about guns a lot. "I wasn't doing anything wrong so why should I be stopped"? It didn't say whether or not this fellow was OC or CC but if he had been OC the police would have had no reason to stop him but would catch flack if they hadn't but had seen him.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

PT111 wrote:
diesel556 wrote:
PT111 wrote:
...Inherently they cannot cover 100% of all cases and by that they are flawed but they are the best we have right now...

It didn't say whether or not this fellow was OC or CC but if he had been OC the police would have had no reason to stop him but would catch flack if they hadn't but had seen him.
1. This sounds like you are pro gun control? They (gun control laws) will always be flawed, and they will never be effective. Compliance (by criminals) is not going to just "get better" someday.

2. Who would they catch flack from? Not very many people on this forum.

ETA: Text in parentheses

ne1

imported post

The anti-gun spin has already started:
"A search of Pardo's own home in Montrose, a suburb northeast of Los Angeles, turned up racing fuel, five empty boxes for high-powered semiautomatic handguns and two high-powered shotguns."
I wonder which of my handguns are considered "high-powered"? Maybe, since they are so much more ominous, I could get more money for them at the next "buyback"?;)

Sadly, even the good guys occasionally go bad (LEOs, too), but it is extremely sad when the remaining so-called good guys have been neutered and unable to do anything about it except become another statistic.

showpro

imported post

The guy was an engineer. He made his own flamethrowing device. He could have contrived any number of ways to kill those people without handguns.

(I know I'm preaching to the choir.)