• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I legally shoot in Central FL

merriar

imported post

I am trying to find out where to come up with where I can legally target practice on private land in Central FL. I am a member of a local gun club but taking my Grandson over there each time to plunk with a 22 cal is an effort.

There must be some local laws on distances from other buildings, etc that I need to know about. I am afraid to take the word of a cop in case he/she is incorrect.

Any ideas?

Richard

Hotshot718

imported post

From a quick review of the statutes the only thing I found was this

[size="-1"]790.15 Discharging firearm in public.-- [/size]
[size="-1"](1)Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Division of Forestry.
[/size]
So I guess as long as your not shooting over a street or building it'd be fine. Rural property should be fine. I think you'd run into trouble if you live in a city and just start taking pot shots in your backyard, though. IANAL, so don't take my word in case I am not correct. As far as location, I have no idea. Where have you been taking him to shoot? Where in Central FL are you? Anyone else have any thoughts?

merriar

imported post

I am a member of the Chuluota Sportsmen's Club which is in east Orange County. I have not taken him shooting yet and was looking at other places for him to shoot. Although the range is nice and the members helpful, I am still under the constraints of waiting for the range to go cold before changing targets, etc. I think it would be good for him to go there and see the protocol and all.My buddy has 5 acres but thereare no berms and there are houses on all sides. I would be very worried if there was one high shot.

I guess to be completely safe, I should take hime to the range.

I have a zero lot line yard and I guess as long as I contained the bullet in the yard the cops would have to accept it. It does seem wierd that I could do that though.

Hotshot718

imported post

I spent a year in Colorado Springs back in 2000. There was an area out in the sticks near Garden of the Gods where people went shooting. I don't even know if it was public or private land, but I only went there once. There was no range discipline, there were various types of "targets", and I mean people were shooting glass bottles, refrigerators, washing machines, etc. I spent maybe 45 minutes shooting and then just walked away, I thought someone would get shot for sure. No range officers, everyone just kind of stopped shooting and waited for the range to get quiet before going downrange. I only went downrange once because I happened to look up and saw people handling guns on the firing line. After that, I finished my second set and just walked away.

brboyer

imported post

merriar wrote:
I am a member of the Chuluota Sportsmen's Club which is in east Orange County. I have not taken him shooting yet and was looking at other places for him to shoot. Although the range is nice and the members helpful, I am still under the constraints of waiting for the range to go cold before changing targets, etc. I think it would be good for him to go there and see the protocol and all.My buddy has 5 acres but thereare no berms and there are houses on all sides. I would be very worried if there was one high shot.

I guess to be completely safe, I should take hime to the range.

I have a zero lot line yard and I guess as long as I contained the bullet in the yard the cops would have to accept it. It does seem wierd that I could do that though.
Careful. Counties and cities may have ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms.