Thread: Gun & Knife CC

Post imported post

During the cold winter months I tend to CC rather than OC as I’d look like a dufus with a belt and gun on the OUTSIDE of my North face. Standard fun-items on my belt concealed also include 2 spare mags, a surefire and my cell. Inside my pants pockets are OC spray, and I have a folder knife clipped to the hip pocket, exposing the top of the handle.

Now, as we all know a CCH permit doesn’t cover (pardon the pun) a knife; nor the OC spray. Code cites I’ve been able to find seem to indicate that so long as I don’t go around spraying people that it’s legal to have the spray in my pocket.

The knife on the other hand seems elusive in referencing a law cite to give me clarification one way or another. It’s a cold steel folder, tonto style blade, half serrated, half regular blade. Length of blade from tip to handle is 4 inches.

In deference to my weak google-fu; does anybody know if this is covered in any case law I’ve have yet to find. Is it considered (unlawfully) concealed if it’s clipped to my pocket, yet under a winter coat?
    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youre serious and when youre being sarcastic. Abraham Lincoln

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

ChinChin wrote:
    During the cold winter months I tend to CC rather than OC as I’d look like a dufus with a belt and gun on the OUTSIDE of my North face. Standard fun-items on my belt concealed also include 2 spare mags, a surefire and my cell. Inside my pants pockets are OC spray, and I have a folder knife clipped to the hip pocket, exposing the top of the handle.

Now, as we all know a CCH permit doesn’t cover (pardon the pun) a knife; nor the OC spray. Code cites I’ve been able to find seem to indicate that so long as I don’t go around spraying people that it’s legal to have the spray in my pocket.

The knife on the other hand seems elusive in referencing a law cite to give me clarification one way or another. It’s a cold steel folder, tonto style blade, half serrated, half regular blade. Length of blade from tip to handle is 4 inches.

In deference to my weak google-fu; does anybody know if this is covered in any case law I’ve have yet to find. Is it considered (unlawfully) concealed if it’s clipped to my pocket, yet under a winter coat?
    Dirk, Dagger, Switchblade Knife.....yadda...yadda

It sure isn't a switchblade which by defination, beeds a button. It isn't a Bowie because it has to have a clip point.

It's not a Dirk or Dagger because both require the spear point but can be single edge.

It's not a butterfly Knife because of the classic two part handle.

While I don't like Tanto points, they do not fit the definition of the forbidden blades.

Then there's :7"any Like weapon". Go guess. There was a horrible Court rueling that you can search for here...about a year ago I think. But even that dealt with one of those dime store fighters and the folding hilt seemed to have a lot of impact with the judge.

IMHO...unless it's sticking in someone, your fine.

Post imported post

Since there's no preemption, can't towns and counties regulate knives? I was under the impression that this is where most of the rules are.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
    Since there's no preemption, can't towns and counties regulate knives? I was under the impression that this is where most of the rules are.
    Because the state has already set the rules for concealed carry, I don't see how a locality could make anything more restrictive.

Sale yes maybe some small things but the Dillon rule was to prevent a patchwork of laws inconsistent with state law.

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    GWRedDragon wrote:
    Because the state has already set the rules for concealed carry, I don't see how a locality could make anything more restrictive.

Sale yes maybe some small things but the Dillon rule was to prevent a patchwork of laws inconsistent with state law.
    Hmm, maybe someone can help me with this as an aside.

i've been carrying a Benchmade 940 as well as a Kershaw Onion all around virginia. clipped to my right pocket. in california, it's legal. is that legal here? would this actually be considered a CW?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

For knife laws see:

http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/

To my knowledge the is no total state preemption on knives in Virginia - different localities do have different restrictions on blade length. This is in part why VCDL is considering pushing for some changes in the law - it is only a tool and many of us use them on our jobs.

Yata hey

Yata hey
    Better to not open your mouth and be thought the fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.