• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun & Knife CC

ChinChin

imported post

During the cold winter months I tend to CC rather than OC as I’d look like a dufus with a belt and gun on the OUTSIDE of my North face. Standard fun-items on my belt concealed also include 2 spare mags, a surefire and my cell. Inside my pants pockets are OC spray, and I have a folder knife clipped to the hip pocket, exposing the top of the handle.

Now, as we all know a CCH permit doesn’t cover (pardon the pun) a knife; nor the OC spray. Code cites I’ve been able to find seem to indicate that so long as I don’t go around spraying people that it’s legal to have the spray in my pocket.

The knife on the other hand seems elusive in referencing a law cite to give me clarification one way or another. It’s a cold steel folder, tonto style blade, half serrated, half regular blade. Length of blade from tip to handle is 4 inches.

In deference to my weak google-fu; does anybody know if this is covered in any case law I’ve have yet to find. Is it considered (unlawfully) concealed if it’s clipped to my pocket, yet under a winter coat?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
During the cold winter months I tend to CC rather than OC as I’d look like a dufus with a belt and gun on the OUTSIDE of my North face. Standard fun-items on my belt concealed also include 2 spare mags, a surefire and my cell. Inside my pants pockets are OC spray, and I have a folder knife clipped to the hip pocket, exposing the top of the handle.

Now, as we all know a CCH permit doesn’t cover (pardon the pun) a knife; nor the OC spray. Code cites I’ve been able to find seem to indicate that so long as I don’t go around spraying people that it’s legal to have the spray in my pocket.

The knife on the other hand seems elusive in referencing a law cite to give me clarification one way or another. It’s a cold steel folder, tonto style blade, half serrated, half regular blade. Length of blade from tip to handle is 4 inches.

In deference to my weak google-fu; does anybody know if this is covered in any case law I’ve have yet to find. Is it considered (unlawfully) concealed if it’s clipped to my pocket, yet under a winter coat?

Dirk, Dagger, Switchblade Knife.....yadda...yadda

It sure isn't a switchblade which by defination, beeds a button. It isn't a Bowie because it has to have a clip point.

It's not a Dirk or Dagger because both require the spear point but can be single edge.

It's not a butterfly Knife because of the classic two part handle.

While I don't like Tanto points, they do not fit the definition of the forbidden blades.

Then there's :7"any Like weapon". Go guess. There was a horrible Court rueling that you can search for here...about a year ago I think. But even that dealt with one of those dime store fighters and the folding hilt seemed to have a lot of impact with the judge.

IMHO...unless it's sticking in someone, your fine.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
Since there's no preemption, can't towns and counties regulate knives? I was under the impression that this is where most of the rules are.
Because the state has already set the rules for concealed carry, I don't see how a locality could make anything more restrictive.

Sale yes maybe some small things but the Dillon rule was to prevent a patchwork of laws inconsistent with state law.

tsannicolas

imported post

peter nap wrote:
GWRedDragon wrote:
Since there's no preemption, can't towns and counties regulate knives? I was under the impression that this is where most of the rules are.
Because the state has already set the rules for concealed carry, I don't see how a locality could make anything more restrictive.

Sale yes maybe some small things but the Dillon rule was to prevent a patchwork of laws inconsistent with state law.
Hmm, maybe someone can help me with this as an aside.

i've been carrying a Benchmade 940 as well as a Kershaw Onion all around virginia. clipped to my right pocket. in california, it's legal. is that legal here? would this actually be considered a CW?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

For knife laws see:

http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/

To my knowledge the is no total state preemption on knives in Virginia - different localities do have different restrictions on blade length. This is in part why VCDL is considering pushing for some changes in the law - it is only a tool and many of us use them on our jobs.

Yata hey

Yata hey