• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pennsylvania Sheriff Seeks Dismissal Of $1 Million Federal Lawsuit Brought By Meleanie Hain

Repeater

imported post

News Release December 26, 2008:

Attorneys for Lebanon County (PA) Sheriff Michael J. DeLeo today moved to dismiss a $1 million federal lawsuit brought by Meleanie Hain and her husband, asserting that the suit has no legal basis and should be thrown out.

Hain claims she is entitled to $1 million in damages, including “emotional distress” and loss of babysitting clients, after Sheriff DeLeo revoked her license to carry a concealed firearm following complaints from parents that Hain posed a danger to the community by openly carrying a loaded semiautomatic firearm to her 5-year-old’s soccer games. Hain’s husband is also seeking damages, claiming that the sheriff’s actions caused him to lose the “companionship, consortium, society and services” of his wife, according to the Hain’s complaint filed in the case.

Hain stated in a Dec. 12, 2008, Philadelphia Inquirer article that she openly carries a loaded semiautomatic handgun because, “I don’t really need anything extra in the way of the gun if I’m going to have to pull it out and I’m holding a baby and trying to shuttle two or three other kids.”

The Legal Action Project of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence is providing free legal assistance to Sheriff DeLeo. “It should be obvious to anyone that a civilian bringing an openly-carried, loaded semiautomatic weapon to a child’s soccer game poses a grave risk to the community,” said Daniel R. Vice, Senior Attorney at the Brady Center’s Legal Action Project.

The Brady Center supports common sense gun policies that protect children and communities from gun violence. Every day, eight children and teens are shot and killed by a firearm and 48 more are wounded. Firearms are the second-leading cause of death (after motor vehicle accidents) for young people ages 1-19 in the U.S. Persons carrying loaded guns in public have repeatedly been involved in shootings, including accidental shootings of innocent bystanders. Studies show that laws allowing the carrying of concealed firearms have not reduced crime and, if anything, have increased violent crime, including murder and robbery.

After Hain filed the lawsuit, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence offered to provide free legal assistance to Sheriff DeLeo. DeLeo is represented by David L. Schwalm and Scott D. McCarroll of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Attorneys with the Brady Center’s Legal Action Project plan to assist DeLeo’s counsel throughout the case. The motion to dismiss was filed today in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

Repeater wrote:
The Brady Center supports common sense gun policies that protect children and communities from gun violence. Every day, eight children and teens are shot and killed by a firearm and 48 more are wounded. Firearms are the second-leading cause of death (after motor vehicle accidents) for young people ages 1-19 in the U.S. Persons carrying loaded guns in public have repeatedly been involved in shootings, including accidental shootings of innocent bystanders. Studies show that laws allowing the carrying of concealed firearms have not reduced crime and, if anything, have increased violent crime, including murder and robbery.
:banghead:

I'd like two things:

1) Extensively cite such statistics from a neutral organization on the matter, just like the pro-gun folks do from the NIJ, CDC, FBI, and other government (and non-gov't) organizations that present facts to the contrary.

2) I'd like them to stop grouping law-abiding gun owners with gang-members and drug dealers under the age of 25 that they consider "children" in their statistics. If they were to remove that "anomaly" from their figures, they'd find they have about as much ground to stand on as the http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Trusting that this suit will proceed forward and that the Sheriff is severely spanked for his transgressions.

The Brady Bunch is infamous for their lies and distortions - gang bangers and criminals are included in their list of "children" and they know it and don't care.
http://www.tincher.to/deaths.htm

A good citizen taking responsibility for the safety of her children and self can hardly be a threat to the safety of others. Quite to the contrary.

Yata hey

Huck

imported post

"Every day, eight children and teens are shot and killed by a firearm and 48 more are wounded." More Brady Bunch bullcrap. no one is shot by firearms, they're shot by other people.

http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html

NOTE: Firearms Statistics Include Gang Warfare, Self Defense Shootings and Criminals Killed by Police

I'm sure that if one excludes the deaths from gang warfare, self defense, and criminals killed by police that the number of "children" that die in firearms related incidents would be very small.

But hey libs, look at the greatest cause of death for children in the USA.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/747403

Since libs are the number one users of abortion as a means of birth control, who's the real murderers of children?

I'd feel that my kids were saferin the prescence ofa honest citizen who's armed than around fetus murdering libbys.

III

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Center for Disease Control, 20 Leading Causes of Unintentional Injury Deaths, United States, 2001, All Races, Both Sexes, Ages: 1-14

Motor vehicle- 4,550, 46.2%
Drowning - 2,102, 17.4%
Fire/burn - 482, 10.6%
Suffocation - 250, 5.5%
Pedestrian, Other - 145 3.2%
Other Land Transport - 144, 3.2%
Fall - 98, 2.2%
Poisoning - 81, 1.8%
Natural/ Environment - 73, 1.6%
Firearm - 72, 1.6%
Other Transport - 68, 1.5%
Struck by or Against - 67, 1.5%
Other Spec., classifiable - 62, 1.1%

http://www.gunfacts.info/

Yata hey

ACEllis

Hutch/Wichita ~ Missing Littleton, Co :(, Kansas,
imported post

Huck wrote:
"Every day, eight children and teens are shot and killed by a firearm and 48 more are wounded." More Brady Bunch bullcrap. no one is shot by firearms, they're shot by other people.

http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html

NOTE: Firearms Statistics Include Gang Warfare, Self Defense Shootings and Criminals Killed by Police

I'm sure that if one excludes the deaths from gang warfare, self defense, and criminals killed by police that the number of "children" that die in firearms related incidents would be very small.

But hey libs, look at the greatest cause of death for children in the USA.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/747403

Since libs are the number one users of abortion as a means of birth control, who's the real murderers of children?

I'd feel that my kids were saferin the prescence ofa honest citizen who's armed than around fetus murdering libbys.

III
I don't know how you managed to such a sharp turn, going on a tangent about abortion. I don't know anyone who loudly proclaims, "YAY! ABORTIONS!" And before you start throwing about ignorant words like "libs," keep in mind no one asks your political affiliation at the front door of the clinic. Its the lower class that can't afford to raise a child (or another or that matter) that is the demographic most entering those facilities.

The world we live in is rarely Black/White, Con/Lib, Right/Wrong. There is a huge spectrum of grays and blurred lines, and sometimes pink polka dots. Try not to paint your reality with such a broad brush, and expect everyone to agree with you.

But back to the topic at hand... Mark Twain had a cheeky quote that can apply to some of the practices of the Brady folks...

"There are three kinds of falsehoods: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

AC

imported post

"An openly carried, loaded, semi-automatic weapon at a child's soccer game poses a grave risk to the community. " Does that mean "law enforcement officers" are now officially banned from child's soccer games in the middle district of Pennsylvania? If not, why?

trailblazer2003

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
"An openly carried, loaded, semi-automatic weapon at a child's soccer game poses a grave risk to the community. " Does that mean "law enforcement officers" are now officially banned from child's soccer games in the middle district of Pennsylvania? If not, why?
You left off the CIVILIAN part. It only poses a grave risk when the gun carrier is a civilian. Nevermind that her gun wasn't bothering anyone at the soccor game. It wasn't running amuck, or shooting the place up. What would make a person think that a mother standing with her kids watching a soccor game would be a threat to society? Obviously she looks criminal.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I'm suprised that no one has called BS on this little gem:

"Studies show that laws allowing the carrying of concealed firearms have not reduced crime and, if anything, have increased violent crime, including murder and robbery."

Are they f-ing serious? What stats, reports, interviews, etc are they getting this crap from?

Go get'em Melanie!!! We're pulling for ya!!!!!!!

Huck

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
I'm suprised that no one has called BS on this little gem:

"Studies show that laws allowing the carrying of concealed firearms have not reduced crime and, if anything, have increased violent crime, including murder and robbery."

Are they f-ing serious? What stats, reports, interviews, etc are they getting this crap from?

Go get'em Melanie!!! We're pulling for ya!!!!!!!

I hear you on that. If the Bradys had acually done any studies on CC they would know that that statement is a outright lie. But when have they ever told the truth?

However, the Bradys could mean that CC has increased crime in states that dont allow it, from crims going to those states where it's safer for them.

III

Thundar

imported post

From the article:

The Legal Action Project of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence is providing free legal assistance to Sheriff DeLeo. “It should be obvious to anyone that a civilian bringing an openly-carried, loaded semiautomatic weapon to a child’s soccer game poses a grave risk to the community,” said Daniel R. Vice, Senior Attorney at the Brady Center’s Legal Action Project.

The grave risk to the community does not come from parents such as Melenie Hain who step up and take responsibility for the security of their family.

The grave risk comes from political correctness groups such as the Brady Center's Legal Action Project.These gun grabbersattempt to deny justice to citizens whose basic human rights are arbitrarily seized by government over reach. They are fearful of losing in civil court so they will fight a technical legal war to prevent the case from coming to trial andconduct a public disinformation campaign in order to prejudice the jury pool.

The Sheriff should never have gotten in bed with a policy group such as the Brady Campaign. He will regret that choice.

Deanimator

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Sorry, Mr. Sheriff.....but that wasn't Shinola you stepped in. Hope you know the difference now....same difference as a law abiding citizen and a criminal.
Grandpa Simpson's problem is that with his highly incriminating statements to the media, he's been trying to LICK his shoes clean!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

trailblazer2003 wrote:
You left off the CIVILIAN part. It only poses a grave risk when the gun carrier is a civilian. Nevermind that her gun wasn't bothering anyone at the soccor game. It wasn't running amuck, or shooting the place up. What would make a person think that a mother standing with her kids watching a soccor game would be a threat to society? Obviously she looks criminal.
Last time I checked, police officers were also civilians. Which means that technically, they would be included in the ridiculous statement by the Brady Bunch.

Repeater

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
trailblazer2003 wrote:
Last time I checked, police officers were also civilians. Which means that technically, they would be included in the ridiculous statement by the Brady Bunch.
And that is what's most telling about Vice's statement. Clearly, he sees American citizens as mere 'civilians' while he sees the police as equivalent to our military.

Of course the police are civilians, too. And they are also public servants, never our masters. The problem of course, is that the Brady Campaign needs a Police State to enforce their gun control schemes.