• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying problem

tensec340

imported post

Went to buy a little .22 rifle for target range shooting for the wife. got a denial from nics because of a 15 year old D- felony for not paying traffik tickets !!
Anybody had to clean off there record before ? Or get around this somehow?

I'm new to this gun stuff and want to be legal in everyway .
Thanks, Tim

also, I'm in Nassau county,L.I., NY

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

In general, the Federal law is that the authority which imposed the felony conviction may, if they wish, expunge/pardon/whatever it and thereby restore your firearms rights. The procedure and policy for this vary from state to state, and can run from a routine application to forget-about-it, ain't happenin'.

If you are able to do some legal self-education, I believe the information about the formal procedure for NY is out there somewhere. The reality of it can be somewhat different, so I really recommend paying a knowledgeable attorney to find out about this.

Having your non-felonious spouse make the purchase is an okay idea, but you are still a felon, and there are still restrictions on your use and access to firearms. Again, a Real Lawyer (tm) can (and probably should) advise you.

I am emphatically not a Real Lawyer (tm), and this should not be taken as legal advice. I didn't stay in one of those hotels, either, but I did have an acquaintance in a similar situation ask me about this once, and the above is what I remember researching for him.

regards,

GR

Mule Skinner

imported post

Look in the want adds for a rifle or some other private party then let your wife purchase one. This will give you an unregesterd weapon that big brother cannot trace. Another reason I do not own a regesterd weapon or carry a CW permit.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I believe there are hefty penalties for felons being in possession of a firearm so if the wife bought it herself she would have to prevent you from having access to it. And even there is a legal situation I would not want to be in. Try to get it expunged.Felonies are supposed to be for serious crimes, not traffic violations...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
I believe there are hefty penalties for felons being in possession of a firearm so if the wife bought it herself she would have to prevent you from having access to it. And even there is a legal situation I would not want to be in. Try to get it expunged.Felonies are supposed to be for serious crimes, not traffic violations...
As long as he doesn't hold the gun, he is Ok. Possession in this regard means to own, control, or handle.

Legba

imported post

There is a doctrine called "constructive possession" which amounts to a presumption of "actual" possession if a gun is anywhere a prohibited person can get to it. In practice, this isn't likely to come up unless the cops are tossing your place for some other reason and there's a gun out and they are aware of the prohibited person's status. Still, in cases like that where one party can have them and the other one not, the "legal" party is supposed to secure the weapons in such a way that he or she is the only one who can get at them.

-ljp

FightingGlock19

imported post

Mule Skinner wrote:
Look in the want adds for a rifle or some other private party then let your wife purchase one. This will give you an unregesterd weapon that big brother cannot trace. Another reason I do not own a regesterd weapon or carry a CW permit.

way to make a straw purchase, dude.

I'm sure with all of the print OC.org gets, the BATF is a regular viewer of the forums and is making notes ;)

VAopencarry

imported post

catass wrote:
Mule Skinner wrote:

I'm sure with all of the print OC.org gets, the BATF is a regular viewer of the forums and is making notes ;)
Catass. Read the OP. He was buying it to give to his wife, so telling his wife to buy it herself is not a straw purchase.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I honestly had to look this up. I like definition #2:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catass

"...someone whose online addiction has caused their domestic and personal hygiene to degenerate to such a degree that their entire house begins to smell like an enormous cat-litter box."

ETA: +1 to it not being a straw purchase

FightingGlock19

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
catass wrote:
Mule Skinner wrote:

Catass. Read the OP. He was buying it to give to his wife, so telling his wife to buy it herself is not a straw purchase.

Ah ...I see. I had read the thread starter before, but when I saw what Mule Skinner wrote, I saw where he advized the poster looks for one & tells the wife to buy it.

Sorry MS!

I would recomend such suggestions be pm'ed in the future, though. I mean, if I read in a hurry and got the wrong idea, think of what others may do.

FightingGlock19

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
VAopencarry wrote:
I honestly had to look this up. I like definition #2:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=catass

"...someone whose online addiction has caused their domestic and personal hygiene to degenerate to such a degree that their entire house begins to smell like an enormous cat-litter box."
diesel, my screen name has nothing to do with the urban dictionary. There's a story behind it,and you're not welcome to hear it.

tensec340

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Not paying traffic ticket is a FELONY in NY?

I was a crazy kid with hot rods,my licence was suspended the first week I had it at 16 ! still drove,, by 21 had 9 driving with suspended licence which turned into a d -felony which then I finally grew up and paid the fines,did no time as it was a time served conviction .

so yes traffic tickets can screw you up when your a stupid kid !!

tensec340

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
If the gun is 'for the wife' then she should buy it! (assuming of course that she does not also have a felony record)

She did,, i just want to be legal in every way !!!Plus I cant go with her to shoot !!

tensec340

imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
If you are able to do some legal self-education, I believe the information about the formal procedure for NY is out there somewhere. The reality of it can be somewhat different, so I really recommend paying a knowledgeable attorney to find out about this.

regards,

GR

I have been reading and searching everything !! as for a lawyer lol as soon as I tell them I'm trying to get my rights back they dont want to bother !

either anti-gun people or just not enough cash in it for them ??

Tim