Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Why OC in your own home?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hampton, Va, ,
    Posts
    623

    Post imported post



    Family lives in fear in southeast NN

    Members of the Korycinski family say intruders have stolen property, as well as threatened and assaulted them.

    By DAVID MACAULAY | 247-7838


    December 23, 2008

    NEWPORT NEWS - Jane Korycinski recalls how she stood in her kitchen while an intruder casually raised his gun and waved it at her. "He kind of halfway pointed the gun," the 96-year-old said.

    Korycinski wasn't scared: "I was just watching the gun. I take it in my stride. What can I do about it?"

    Intruders have become common at her Cedar Avenue home in southeast Newport News. From October to the middle of November, the home was broken into on four occasions. Korycinski has been home every time.

    The crime wave at the address is part of a larger number of burglaries in the neighborhood, police said.



    On one occasion, the whole family — which spans four generations — was there: Korycinski's daughter, Nancy Houston; Nancy's 30-year-old son, Kory Houston; and his son, 4-year-old Clayton.

    The first burglary took place at the end of October. Korycinski was home alone one afternoon and watched as two young men ransacked it.

    The intruders stole Nancy's laptop, cell phones, a stereo, CDs and Jane's 50-state quarter collection. "They went upstairs and ransacked the place," Nancy said.

    About a week later, Korycinski woke up about 10:15 p.m. to see two intruders in her bedroom. She cried out and woke up the other family members. The burglars fled.

    In November, they smashed a window at the back of the house, Houston said.

    On Nov. 11, they got into the kitchen through the broken window and threatened Korycinski with a gun, she said.

    The family thinks that the same two intruders — juveniles about 16 or 17 — are responsible for all the break-ins.

    A week after the last break-in, Kory was robbed and badly beaten near his home.

    This month, the Newport News Police Department issued a public appeal after 37 residential burglaries occurred, concentrated in the area from 27th Street to Blair Avenue and from Buxton Avenue to Walnut Avenue. The burglaries started Sept. 5.

    To date, no arrests have been made, police spokesman Lou Thurston said.

    Nancy, 62, said the neighborhood that she grew up in has changed beyond recognition.

    "We used to play kickball out in the street, run to each other's houses and have a neighborhood we could all play in. Now it's different."

    She said the area used to be a "nice middle-class neighborhood."

    "My father used to work for NASA," she said. "It was nice and well kept. Of course, people got more affluent and moved out. Now the people here are older and the ones who own the houses can't afford to keep them up."

    She moved back in with her mother after her husband died. Nancy said the recent crime wave traumatized the family:

    "It's caused us a lot of grief. The little one has had nightmares. He doesn't want to go anywhere in this house unless there's someone with him."

    "I am scared for my safety. There are many, many gunshots 'round here. I'm constantly on the phone to the police about gunshots in the neighborhood."

    No break-ins have taken place at their house since mid-November, but the family's fear of crime seldom abates.

    Kory Houston, in particular, is apprehensive. On Nov. 21, he was robbed and pistol-whipped, suffering a minor fracture to his skull.

    Kory thinks that he might have been attacked by some of the people who were in his home.

    He was walking home from a store at 19th Street and Buxton about 7:30 p.m. He said four juvenile attackers hid behind a house and waited for him to walk past.

    "I still have a big lump," he said. "I used to walk to that store all the time. Now I have to wonder if someone will be at my house, waiting for me to come back."

    Kory said he seldom sees police officers in the area. "They are not beefing up anything," he said.

    Thurston said that active policing was taking place in the area but that it wasn't always obvious.

    "There is a police presence down there," he said. "It's not always marked cars with lights on top. There are hidden units, bicycle units and High Impact Patrol Units."



    http://www.dailypress.com/news/local...,5938807.story


    Many homes in this area have been broken into several times. One of the janitors who works in my building at night in the Shipyard in NN has been broken into 3 times.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    378

    Post imported post

    Oh...what's that I hear?

    Baaaaahhh!

    It's sheep bleating!

    And I care about these turds...because they make a choice to be helpless?

    I'm just waiting for Darwin to step in to keep them from breeding.

    While it would be nice to help them, they really need to do it themselves. Better yet, get the neighbors onboard and clean up the neighborhood.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    cREbralFIX wrote:
    Oh...what's that I hear?

    Baaaaahhh!

    It's sheep bleating!

    And I care about these turds...because they make a choice to be helpless?

    I'm just waiting for Darwin to step in to keep them from breeding.

    While it would be nice to help them, they really need to do it themselves. Better yet, get the neighbors onboard and clean up the neighborhood.
    Dude, it's a 96-year-old woman. Take it easy.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    Tomahawk wrote:
    ...SNIP
    And I care about these turds...because they make a choice to be helpless?

    ...SNIP...
    Dude, it's a 96-year-old woman. Take it easy.
    +1
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    378

    Post imported post

    Nope

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    mobeewan wrote:
    ...SNIP
    NEWPORT NEWS - Jane Korycinski recalls how she stood in her kitchen while an intruder casually raised his gun and waved it at her. "He kind of halfway pointed the gun," the 96-year-old said.
    SNIP...
    Ahem...
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  7. #7
    Regular Member ChinChin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Loudoun County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    683

    Post imported post

    mobeewan wrote:
    December 23, 2008

    NEWPORT NEWS - Jane Korycinski recalls how she stood in her kitchen while an intruder casually raised his gun and waved it at her. "He kind of halfway pointed the gun," the 96-year-old said.

    Korycinski wasn't scared: "I was just watching the gun. I take it in my stride. What can I do about it?"
    Where I grew up. . .the local men of dignity would be camping out on this woman's porch, shotguns and rifles loaded; all but daring the local riff-raff to "try it again" with them around.

    It takes a truley brave man to repeatedly attack and harrass a 96 year old woman and her family. It also takes a man of no character and a yellow streak who lives near and has the means to do something; but doesn't.


    The problem with the internet is nobody can really tell when youre serious and when youre being sarcastic. Abraham Lincoln

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,315

    Post imported post

    ChinChin wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Where I grew up. . .the local men of dignity would be camping out on this woman's porch, shotguns and rifles loaded; all but daring the local riff-raff to "try it again" with them around.

    It takes a truley brave man to repeatedly attack and harrass a 96 year old woman and her family. It also takes a man of no character and a yellow streak who lives near and has the means to do something; but doesn't.

    +1

    I don't even live down there and the story made me want to go camping for a weekend in this ladies living room.
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    204

    Post imported post

    Ever seen Death Wish ?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Hawkflyer wrote:
    ChinChin wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Where I grew up. . .the local men of dignity would be camping out on this woman's porch, shotguns and rifles loaded; all but daring the local riff-raff to "try it again" with them around.

    It takes a truley brave man to repeatedly attack and harrass a 96 year old woman and her family. It also takes a man of no character and a yellow streak who lives near and has the means to do something; but doesn't.

    +1

    I don't even live down there and the story made me want to go camping for a weekend in this ladies living room.
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe she could use some help with her groceries, you know?

    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that. I guess I must have Jim Sollo's white male hero complex...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    378

    Post imported post

    Where I grew up. . .the local men of dignity would be camping out on this woman's porch, shotguns and rifles loaded; all but daring the local riff-raff to "try it again" with them around.
    Exactly...she has a mouth and can ask for help. She can assist organizing local upstanding men and women into a neighborhood watch. Even if all she does is organize...that's a great thing. It brings the neighbors together...maybe new friendships are formed. Summer BBQ's certainly become larger gatherings

    But, instead, they complain to the police. It appears to me that people really do believe the BS about "not getting involved" and "leave it to the police to protect you."

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Weatherford, TX
    Posts
    126

    Post imported post

    Now I have something to do on my duty free weekends. I think I seriously will check out the neighborhood. If they won't protect themselves, and the police surely can't be expected to, someone should.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •