• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why OC in your own home?

mobeewan

imported post

Family lives in fear in southeast NN

Members of the Korycinski family say intruders have stolen property, as well as threatened and assaulted them.

By DAVID MACAULAY | 247-7838

December 23, 2008

NEWPORT NEWS - Jane Korycinski recalls how she stood in her kitchen while an intruder casually raised his gun and waved it at her. "He kind of halfway pointed the gun," the 96-year-old said.

Korycinski wasn't scared: "I was just watching the gun. I take it in my stride. What can I do about it?"

Intruders have become common at her Cedar Avenue home in southeast Newport News. From October to the middle of November, the home was broken into on four occasions. Korycinski has been home every time.

The crime wave at the address is part of a larger number of burglaries in the neighborhood, police said.

On one occasion, the whole family — which spans four generations — was there: Korycinski's daughter, Nancy Houston; Nancy's 30-year-old son, Kory Houston; and his son, 4-year-old Clayton.

The first burglary took place at the end of October. Korycinski was home alone one afternoon and watched as two young men ransacked it.

The intruders stole Nancy's laptop, cell phones, a stereo, CDs and Jane's 50-state quarter collection. "They went upstairs and ransacked the place," Nancy said.

About a week later, Korycinski woke up about 10:15 p.m. to see two intruders in her bedroom. She cried out and woke up the other family members. The burglars fled.

In November, they smashed a window at the back of the house, Houston said.

On Nov. 11, they got into the kitchen through the broken window and threatened Korycinski with a gun, she said.

The family thinks that the same two intruders — juveniles about 16 or 17 — are responsible for all the break-ins.

A week after the last break-in, Kory was robbed and badly beaten near his home.

This month, the Newport News Police Department issued a public appeal after 37 residential burglaries occurred, concentrated in the area from 27th Street to Blair Avenue and from Buxton Avenue to Walnut Avenue. The burglaries started Sept. 5.

To date, no arrests have been made, police spokesman Lou Thurston said.

Nancy, 62, said the neighborhood that she grew up in has changed beyond recognition.

"We used to play kickball out in the street, run to each other's houses and have a neighborhood we could all play in. Now it's different."

She said the area used to be a "nice middle-class neighborhood."

"My father used to work for NASA," she said. "It was nice and well kept. Of course, people got more affluent and moved out. Now the people here are older and the ones who own the houses can't afford to keep them up."

She moved back in with her mother after her husband died. Nancy said the recent crime wave traumatized the family:

"It's caused us a lot of grief. The little one has had nightmares. He doesn't want to go anywhere in this house unless there's someone with him."

"I am scared for my safety. There are many, many gunshots 'round here. I'm constantly on the phone to the police about gunshots in the neighborhood."

No break-ins have taken place at their house since mid-November, but the family's fear of crime seldom abates.

Kory Houston, in particular, is apprehensive. On Nov. 21, he was robbed and pistol-whipped, suffering a minor fracture to his skull.

Kory thinks that he might have been attacked by some of the people who were in his home.

He was walking home from a store at 19th Street and Buxton about 7:30 p.m. He said four juvenile attackers hid behind a house and waited for him to walk past.

"I still have a big lump," he said. "I used to walk to that store all the time. Now I have to wonder if someone will be at my house, waiting for me to come back."

Kory said he seldom sees police officers in the area. "They are not beefing up anything," he said.

Thurston said that active policing was taking place in the area but that it wasn't always obvious.

"There is a police presence down there," he said. "It's not always marked cars with lights on top. There are hidden units, bicycle units and High Impact Patrol Units."

http://www.dailypress.com/news/local/newport_news/dp-local_breakins_1220dec23,0,5938807.story

Many homes in this area have been broken into several times. One of the janitors who works in my building at night in the Shipyard in NN has been broken into 3 times.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Oh...what's that I hear?

Baaaaahhh!

It's sheep bleating!

And I care about these turds...because they make a choice to be helpless?

I'm just waiting for Darwin to step in to keep them from breeding.

While it would be nice to help them, they really need to do it themselves. Better yet, get the neighbors onboard and clean up the neighborhood.

Tomahawk

imported post

cREbralFIX wrote:
Oh...what's that I hear?

Baaaaahhh!

It's sheep bleating!

And I care about these turds...because they make a choice to be helpless?

I'm just waiting for Darwin to step in to keep them from breeding.

While it would be nice to help them, they really need to do it themselves. Better yet, get the neighbors onboard and clean up the neighborhood.
Dude, it's a 96-year-old woman. Take it easy.

ChinChin

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
December 23, 2008

NEWPORT NEWS - Jane Korycinski recalls how she stood in her kitchen while an intruder casually raised his gun and waved it at her. "He kind of halfway pointed the gun," the 96-year-old said.

Korycinski wasn't scared: "I was just watching the gun. I take it in my stride. What can I do about it?"

Where I grew up. . .the local men of dignity would be camping out on this woman's porch, shotguns and rifles loaded; all but daring the local riff-raff to "try it again" with them around.

It takes a truley brave man to repeatedly attack and harrass a 96 year old woman and her family. It also takes a man of no character and a yellow streak who lives near and has the means to do something; but doesn't.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ChinChin wrote:
Where I grew up. . .the local men of dignity would be camping out on this woman's porch, shotguns and rifles loaded; all but daring the local riff-raff to "try it again" with them around.

It takes a truley brave man to repeatedly attack and harrass a 96 year old woman and her family. It also takes a man of no character and a yellow streak who lives near and has the means to do something; but doesn't.

+1

I don't even live down there and the story made me want to go camping for a weekend in this ladies living room.

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
ChinChin wrote:

+1

I don't even live down there and the story made me want to go camping for a weekend in this ladies living room.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe she could use some help with her groceries, you know?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that. I guess I must have Jim Sollo's white male hero complex...:uhoh:

cREbralFIX

imported post

Exactly...she has a mouth and can ask for help. She can assist organizing local upstanding men and women into a neighborhood watch. Even if all she does is organize...that's a great thing. It brings the neighbors together...maybe new friendships are formed. Summer BBQ's certainly become larger gatherings :)

But, instead, they complain to the police. It appears to me that people really do believe the BS about "not getting involved" and "leave it to the police to protect you."

Squid13

imported post

Now I have something to do on my duty free weekends. I think I seriously will check out the neighborhood. If they won't protect themselves, and the police surely can't be expected to, someone should.