• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in Monroe

RickMarc

imported post

I had lunch today in Monroe at the Pizza Hutt , just off from Louisville Road. I had my 9 mm Glock on my hip with my t-shirt neatly tucked in. The staff there was very nice and the subject of me carrying a firearm in plain sight was not brought up. Our waitress was very friendly and I did notice anyone staring at me as we walked to our seats.

After lunch my girlfriend and I separated to each others errands. As I pulled out on the road a man's truck was broke down on Louisville Road in the turning lane , so I pulled begind him and stepped out to assist him , while carrying open. One Monroe City Police passed and never payed any attention to the two oof us looking over this broke down truck in the turn lane.

On Christmas Eve , I was with my best friend in Glenmora. he was having custody problems with his ex. While I was at the Rapides Parish Sheriff Sub-Station I asked a Deputy on any restrictions on Open Carry in Rapides Parish. He stated in so many words "You can walk down the street here with any legal firearm in plain sight and unconcealed and no law officer here will harass you". He was very pleasant and friendly.

It was an interesting day on my first day of Open Carry. Just sharing my day with all you folks.

Rick Marcantel

MBGuy

imported post

Congrats!!!! Especially with what the LEO had to say, that's remarkeable, especially when compared to the LEOs in New Orleans.

chad pf-9

imported post

Thats Definately cool.Maybe i'll be a little more comfortable when I OC in Monroe,when i go visit my daughter.

There is a guy that I know pretty good,although we don't talk much(mostly E-mail jokes back & forth at work).we hired in at the planttogether.

he used to be a St John Deputy,& now is a Reserve Deputy.Next time I get a chance,I'll talk to him about OC'ing,so I can get the local PD view of it.

FLMason

imported post

It has been a long time sense I have eaten inside a pizza hut but I thought that they served alcohol? doesn'tLa restrict carry where alcohol is served?

RickMarc

imported post

Yes , Louisiana forbids carrying in a establishment that serves alocohol. But , not every Pizza Hut serves alcohol. If the Pizza Hut I visited served alcohol , a sign or sticker at the entrance would have to be placed at the entrance. This one did not serve alcohol.

KBCraig

imported post

Mark, I don't recall the statutes that explain it all, but LAcarry has it on his website, and I'm sure it's been covered before here in the Louisiana forum.

Basically, it's illegal to carry anywhere alcohol is sold for on-premises consumption. Unless you have a license and are carrying concealed, and are not in the portion of the establishment exclusively devoted to serving alcohol (i.e., the bar).

So don't take my word until you go read the analysis, but my understanding is that CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol is okay; OC is not.

XDm-KC

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Mark, I don't recall the statutes that explain it all, but LAcarry has it on his website, and I'm sure it's been covered before here in the Louisiana forum.

Basically, it's illegal to carry anywhere alcohol is sold for on-premises consumption. Unless you have a license and are carrying concealed, and are not in the portion of the establishment exclusively devoted to serving alcohol (i.e., the bar).

So don't take my word until you go read the analysis, but my understanding is that CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol is okay; OC is not.

I believe KBCraig is correct. Though if you are carrying concealed you must stay out of the "Bar" section of the restaurant like in an Applebees... right?

KBCraig

imported post

XDm-KC wrote:
KBCraig wrote:

I believe KBCraig is correct. Though if you are carrying concealed you must stay out of the "Bar" section of the restaurant like in an Applebees... right?

Pretty sure it's any place that is off limits to anyone under 18, whether it's the whole business or only a portion thereof.

MCab

imported post

Rapides Parish deputies are AWESOME. I've had one help me find out how to get to my friends place. He let me check out the addresses on his laptop in his cruiser. Great to hear that they support OC.