• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jefferson Parish

MBGuy

imported post

I'm visiting my daughter/grandson here in New Orleans from Texas. I have my Concealed Handgun License, and I carry 24x7, but have always been tempted to OC while visiting family in Louisiana and Kentucky. I OC'd while putting in gas in Henderson, but I seriously doubt anyone saw.

Anyhow, I went to the Jefferson Gun shooting range in Metairie. The gun range is actually a gun store with 3 indoor lanes. Anyhow, the wife/daughter were shopping, I had nothing better to do, so what the hey, I waited for a lane to open up. Anyhow, one of the guys behind the counter was a Jefferson Parish LEO. I asked him about OC in Louisiana, if anyone does it, as we're trying to pass OC in Texas. His first words out of his mouth: I'd arrest him. My jaw hit the floor. His reasoning was that he's going to assume if you're carrying a gun unconcealed, you just robbed somewhere. Wow. I didn't expect that, but there you go. After some minor back and forth,I finally left with my mind made up I'll only OC OUTSIDE of NO and the surrounding areas, and in Kentucky.

Now that it's been a while, I have so many things I could have countered with, but I was caught off guard I guess. I'm also thinking if we get OC passed in Texas, I'm OC'ing right away while the decision is freshin the pubic's mind and LEO's mind.

sraacke

imported post

one of the guys behind the counter was a Jefferson Parish LEO. I asked him about OC in Louisiana, if anyone does it, as we're trying to pass OC in Texas. His first words out of his mouth: I'd arrest him.
That guy is gonna cause the JPSO to buy someone a new motorcycle one day.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

MBGuy wrote:
Anyhow, one of the guys behind the counter was a Jefferson Parish LEO. I asked him about OC in Louisiana, if anyone does it, as we're trying to pass OC in Texas. His first words out of his mouth: I'd arrest him. My jaw hit the floor.
That's why we tell people, never ask an LEO for legal advice on gun issues, nor ask store employees for permission - just asking for the most risk averse answer possible from that person.

Put yourself in the other person's shoes - Mr. newguy comes in and asks "hey, can I legally open carry here?" LEO says, "Sure mack, its 100% legal."

Newguy goes intotown and starts open carrying - people ask, what are you doing carrying a gun?

Newguy says: "Officer Smiley said I could"

Next day: Officer Smiley is fired.

MBGuy

imported post

Man, I wish I had his name, I was thinking you would ask. With his attitude, I was downright scared to ask for fear he might kick me out and/or hassle me. Since he was off-duty, I'm not sure he's required to say who he is or give his badge number. But it seems to me if we call Jefferson Gun range on David Lane and ask for the employee that is a JP officer, there probably isn't two of them there. I did mention there was a lawsuit lost by GPD because they harassed an OC'ing citizen, but then he went off on a tangent about CC laws, and then how he thinks OC is stupid for tactical reasons.

I'm on my way out of this place tomorrow morning, and they're closed. I was trying to get there today to take my daughter for some practice, but we spent the day at the racegrounds (where my son in law won 2 out of 4, :celebrate).

I sincerely hope that we keep fighting this ignorant attitude on the part of LEOs. I will go back to Texas and fight to get OC there, and more importantly, practice this right we never should have lost there to begin with.

Thanks for all of you that keep this fight up, by the way. I never felt more insulted than I was by this guy, kind of got me riled up even more.

imported post

Sounds to me, this "law enforcement officer" is not at all ignorant, just doesn't give a flip about your rights. While you may be able to educate some of 'em, there will ALWAYS be a certain percentage who will never be swayed.

chad pf-9

imported post

That is CRAZY!!what an A****.When I bought my PF-9 from there,they had 2 guys working the counter,& a Jeff Parish LEO hanging out at the emd of the counter.Don't know if he was on,or off duty,but all he had was one of those "t-shirts"that say "police" on them.

Don't know about the counter guys?Unless maybe one is a "reserve"deputy?

I can say this,with that attitude,that was the 1st,& last gun I buy from them.I'll go down to causeway,& airline to "Elliots small arms" if I have to.At least the guys in there are cool(the ones I have dealt with anyway).

Hey Mark.I am up for a ride to metarie whenever we can cet somthing together.I would like to see what those bozo's have to say.

Also,to show how ignorant this cop is-

"His reasoning was that he's going to assume if you're carrying a gun unconcealed, you just robbed somewhere."

now if someone just went commit a robbery.they are gonna just holster a gun on their side...........YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!

sraacke

imported post

Mark is just joking. I was never elected to any OC position. Anyone is free to schedule meetups when and where ever they choose. I just thought I'd grab the reigns andarrainge an OC meetup from time to time just like so many other people are doing.

That said, I'm not going to make the mistake and go to the bathroomduring any meetingssince I don't want Mark to nominate me to any new positions. ;) Just an inside joke withMark.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

chad pf-9 wrote:
<SNIP>I can say this,with that attitude,that was the 1st,& last gun I buy from them.I'll go down to causeway,& airline to "Elliots small arms" if I have to.At least the guys in there are cool(the ones I have dealt with anyway).
<SNIP>

[hijack thread]

I think BATFE shut down Elliot's http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-21/1179473181135750.xml&coll=1

[/hijack]

That LEO is full of it; he just wanted to scare the out-of-towner. Even the LEOs I know that are opposed to OC "for tactical reasons" will only hassle someone just shy of overstepping the law. There are plenty around the state who don't know the law, but I can't imagine any LEOin the NOLA area who hasn't heard about MEM's case by now. There's a JPSO who does extra-duty at Sam's on Manhattan who's seen me OC thereseveral timesand he never once hassled me.

chad pf-9

imported post

[hijack thread]

I think BATFE shut down Elliot's http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-21/1179473181135750.xml&coll=1

[/hijack]

Wow!

Ididn't know that Elliotts had been shut down.It has been at least 4 or 5 years since I been there.

I guess thats why they were so"cool" -with all that stuff going on:what:.

"There's a JPSO who does extra-duty at Sam's on Manhattan who's seen me OC thereseveral timesand he never once hassled me."

I am from St.John parish,been wondering how much of a pain JPSO is on OC?

Gbav1

imported post

Hey guys, I go in there alot, and I think the guy he is refering to is the owner.

I seen his badge and he is a constable. (which in some cases is a political "here's

a badge now go play cop" kind of thing.

MBGuy

imported post

You're kidding? Owner? He's in his mid-30's, skinny as a rail, and was dipping and spitting in front of his customers. Luckily into a coke bottle, not on the floor. Not that I have anything against being skinny or dipping, I used to be thin, and I occasionally dip, I'm just giving a description.

In addition to his views on OC, while I was waiting for a lane to clear up I was sitting on the stool at the end of the counter. A customer walks in and is clearly a newbie and asks questions. The cop is cool and informative, but thento show him he likes Glocks (he was pushing Glocks), he pulls out his carry sidearm and puts it on the counter, between him and customer! Nevermind the obvious danger in that the customer that no one personally knows can now get his hand on a loaded weapon, the damn thing is pointed at me at the end of the counter! I quickly stand up and with my 9 year old and go stand at the viewing window.

If that's the owner, I'm amazed........