• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO gave me a ticket...

whitehawk

imported post

I am very interested to see what happens with this case. Myself, I'm just in the learning stage and my plan was solely to CC, but after reading so much on these forums I will consider OC as well.

I may also show up to court in support of you Josh - let us know anything and everything.

FunkTrooper

imported post

It's because of cases like this that I OC I personally dislike the fact that society gives more power to Police than to citizens. Obama (as a senator) supported a bill that would allow retired Police to carry guns but not citizens. People come from everywhere they can be good or bad Police are just people with a different job (albeit a hard one) than me. This is a clear cut case of Police abusing their power. I hope all goes well, please keep us updated if anything new comes up.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
It's because of cases like this that I OC I personally dislike the fact that society gives more power to Police than to citizens. Obama (as a senator) supported a bill that would allow retired Police to carry guns but not citizens. People come from everywhere they can be good or bad Police are just people with a different job (albeit a hard one) than me. This is a clear cut case of Police abusing their power. I hope all goes well, please keep us updated if anything new comes up.
My personal interpretation of the 2nd amendment is that the citizens have the right to possess whatever weapons Law enforcement have. Their should be no distinction on what where and when they can carry and we cannot.

Gunslinger

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:
So what do you do if the prosecution has done their entire investigation prior to charging you? Would you still not waive your right to a speedy trial?

I bet you wouldn't and if you did not waive it then you may as well have plead guilty, especially if you have a public defender.

Remember prosecutors are afforded the luxury of deciding when they want to charge someone. I realize there are situations when it is highly prudent to not waive but there are also situations that it would be a downfall for you to not waive. I think saying never waive your right to a speedy trial is a statement of ignorance.

No prosecutor is going to conduct an investigation without your full knowledge that you are being investigated. The logical man has already retained counsel at that point. And your assumption that "you may as well have (pled--I'll spell it correctly) guilty" is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum, and that's saying something. There is a word, 'continuance,' that comes into play, but evidently your "knowledge" of the law is just a bit short. The speedy trial act eleminates the "luxury" you claim the prosecution is afforded and that's why they exist in states and under Federal Statute. But, be my guest. Give up your 6th A protection whenever you choose. Why not give up your 5th and 4th, as well? The prosecution has the harder task--they must prove beyonda reasonable doubt and then supply discovery for your side to look at after they have done the work. I certainly hope you don't claim to be a lawyer.
So prosecutors only investigate you when you know they are? Where the hell did you pull that from?

Your right to a speedy trial only comes after being charged. Until that time the prosecutor is afforded the luxury of investigating without charging.

A continuance is not what you seem to think it is. You will not be given a fast and speedy trial, that being the key word, if you request a continuance as you will have given up that right. You also lose the ability to make claim that your right was violated.

Thanks for the grammar lesson but next time you might want to break it up into paragraphs.

As I said, you obviously aren't a lawyer. Prosecutors only investigate with a suggestion of wrongdoing. There are many avenues wherein this suggestion becomes known to a suspect. Suspects are named, warrants are issued, witnesses questioned. Do you think this is done in a vacuum? Long before a charge is filed anyone but a complete moron would be aware of what's happening.

Prosecutors don't have the luxury of investigating false leads. They run for reelection or reappointment. They have to follow restrictive laws on questioning, advise of rights, etc. They have to answer for their resource expenditures. If the matter is serious enough for a large expenditure of resources, the investigatee will be well aware and already sought counsel.

My point, which I thought was obvious, is don't waive your rights under the 6th Amendment. If brought to trial and you are somehow so stupid as to be blindsided by the prosecution's amazing collection of a case at bar while you were sleeping, you can seek a continuance, file motions that will delay things, or take other actions such as motion to recuse, change venue, etc, etc. Anyone with common sense will never be in that situation. There may be one in a thousand cases where waiving the speedy trial acts are needed. But that's it. The rest of the time, you're a fool if you do.

Hope you enjoy the paragraphs and you're welcome for the grammar lesson. BTW, while I don't practice, I do have a JD so have a little idea of what I'm talking about.

joeroket

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:
So what do you do if the prosecution has done their entire investigation prior to charging you? Would you still not waive your right to a speedy trial?

I bet you wouldn't and if you did not waive it then you may as well have plead guilty, especially if you have a public defender.

Remember prosecutors are afforded the luxury of deciding when they want to charge someone. I realize there are situations when it is highly prudent to not waive but there are also situations that it would be a downfall for you to not waive. I think saying never waive your right to a speedy trial is a statement of ignorance.

No prosecutor is going to conduct an investigation without your full knowledge that you are being investigated. The logical man has already retained counsel at that point. And your assumption that "you may as well have (pled--I'll spell it correctly) guilty" is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum, and that's saying something. There is a word, 'continuance,' that comes into play, but evidently your "knowledge" of the law is just a bit short. The speedy trial act eleminates the "luxury" you claim the prosecution is afforded and that's why they exist in states and under Federal Statute. But, be my guest. Give up your 6th A protection whenever you choose. Why not give up your 5th and 4th, as well? The prosecution has the harder task--they must prove beyonda reasonable doubt and then supply discovery for your side to look at after they have done the work. I certainly hope you don't claim to be a lawyer.
So prosecutors only investigate you when you know they are? Where the hell did you pull that from?

Your right to a speedy trial only comes after being charged. Until that time the prosecutor is afforded the luxury of investigating without charging.

A continuance is not what you seem to think it is. You will not be given a fast and speedy trial, that being the key word, if you request a continuance as you will have given up that right. You also lose the ability to make claim that your right was violated.

Thanks for the grammar lesson but next time you might want to break it up into paragraphs.

As I said, you obviously aren't a lawyer. Prosecutors only investigate with a suggestion of wrongdoing. There are many avenues wherein this suggestion becomes known to a suspect. Suspects are named, warrants are issued, witnesses questioned. Do you think this is done in a vacuum? Long before a charge is filed anyone but a complete moron would be aware of what's happening.

Prosecutors don't have the luxury of investigating false leads. They run for reelection or reappointment. They have to follow restrictive laws on questioning, advise of rights, etc. They have to answer for their resource expenditures. If the matter is serious enough for a large expenditure of resources, the investigatee will be well aware and already sought counsel.

My point, which I thought was obvious, is don't waive your rights under the 6th Amendment. If brought to trial and you are somehow so stupid as to be blindsided by the prosecution's amazing collection of a case at bar while you were sleeping, you can seek a continuance, file motions that will delay things, or take other actions such as motion to recuse, change venue, etc, etc. Anyone with common sense will never be in that situation. There may be one in a thousand cases where waiving the speedy trial acts are needed. But that's it. The rest of the time, you're a fool if you do.

Hope you enjoy the paragraphs and you're welcome for the grammar lesson. BTW, while I don't practice, I do have a JD so have a little idea of what I'm talking about.
I never said I was a lawyer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I agree that a person of normal intelligence should know they are being investigated, but since when are criminals of normal intelligence? Most of them are not.

Nice back tracking. First you said never waive your right and now you are saying that there are some instances where it might be prudent to waive it. Thanks for agreeing with my whole point.

You might have a JD but that certainly does not prove anything or mean that you are correct. I think I will stick to personal experience over some guy on the internet.

Gunslinger

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:

I never said I was a lawyer, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I agree that a person of normal intelligence should know they are being investigated, but since when are criminals of normal intelligence? Most of them are not.

Nice back tracking. First you said never waive your right and now you are saying that there are some instances where it might be prudent to waive it. Thanks for agreeing with my whole point.

You might have a JD but that certainly does not prove anything or mean that you are correct. I think I will stick to personal experience over some guy on the internet.

There may be one in a thousand cases where waiving the speedy trial acts are needed. But that's it. The rest of the time, you're a fool if you do.

If you consider that agreeing with your whole point, I suggest you stick to cheap hotels.

Legend45

imported post

The lesson here is obey the orders of the police. Sounds like if you had just covered your gun you would still have it. Then you could have wrote a letter to the NRA and to the police agency about how you feel your rights were violated. No ticket and no firearm confiscation.

joeroket

imported post

Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Gunslinger wrote:
joeroket wrote:

There may be one in a thousand cases where waiving the speedy trial acts are needed. But that's it. The rest of the time, you're a fool if you do.

If you consider that agreeing with your whole point, I suggest you stick to cheap hotels.
Whatever.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Legend45 wrote:
The lesson here is obey the orders of the police. Sounds like if you had just covered your gun you would still have it.  Then you could have wrote a letter to the NRA and to the police agency about how you feel your rights were violated.  No ticket and no firearm confiscation.

Did you REALLY just post that?

Do you go home and change because someone says they don;t like your shirt? Buy a new car because someone says it uses too much gas?

Open carry is protected not only by 2nd amendment, but also first, as an expression/opinion.

The officer simply wanted to control the situation and 'force' compliance.

compmanio365

imported post

Sounds like we have another "CC advocate" that thinks they can convince everyone on the forum to just cover it up and "stop causing trouble" with their impeccable logic and superior reasoning skillzzzzz. :quirky

just_a_car

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
Sounds like we have another "CC advocate" that thinks they can convince everyone on the forum to just cover it up and "stop causing trouble" with their impeccable logic and superior reasoning skillzzzzz. :quirky
Yeah, you should read what they put on the DNP List thread. Psh!

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Legend45 wrote:
The lesson here is obey the orders of the police. Sounds like if you had just covered your gun you would still have it. Then you could have wrote a letter to the NRA and to the police agency about how you feel your rights were violated. No ticket and no firearm confiscation.
Yes; that is the problem with the 'Bill of Rights' it causes trouble. People sometimes want to exercise those rights and thatis whatstarts all of the trouble. Perhaps President Obama is correct and we should just chuck the whole thing and create a new system which can be more easily controlled by government. If people would just stop causing trouble, lay down and roll over there would be no need for a 'Bill of Rights' anyway. Our governmentand police which we all know are benevolent will only make and enforce rules and laws which will protect us and promote the general good. Just do as we are told and all will be ok. Obey Obey Obey

Legend45

imported post

I am all for open carry, but one thing I've learned in life is that calmer minds prevail. If you want to go toe to toe with a police officer all that will end uphappening is you getting arrested and your gun confiscated. If you want to make a point like that be my quest. Me I'd rather not use that method. If you want to organize a march down second ave to the federal building count me in. Your not going to change any policies doing it your way, getting arrested then having to petition to get your gun back. Just like going into a private business that says no guns. Its their property, and they should be allowed to make their own rules. So don't show it to start a scene. Just cover it and mind your own business. Then go home and right the business and ask that they consider changing their policy and present your reasons. Perhaps if enough people question the policy they might change it. If they don't its their property. Property rights have been trampled on in this country as much as gun rights have. Each needs to be respected and preserved.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Legend45 wrote:
I am all for open carry, but one thing I've learned in life is that calmer minds prevail. If you want to go toe to toe with a police officer all that will end uphappening is you getting arrested and your gun confiscated.

Can you enlighten us with some real life examples? Did the open carriers get lawyers to fight fortheir Creator given, Constitutionally guaranteed rights? If so, how did these cases conclude?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Legend45 wrote:
I am all for open carry, but one thing I've learned in life is that calmer minds prevail. If you want to go toe to toe with a police officer all that will end uphappening is you getting arrested and your gun confiscated. If you want to make a point like that be my quest. Me I'd rather not use that method. If you want to organize a march down second ave to the federal building count me in. Your not going to change any policies doing it your way, getting arrested then having to petition to get your gun back. Just like going into a private business that says no guns. Its their property, and they should be allowed to make their own rules. So don't show it to start a scene. Just cover it and mind your own business. Then go home and right the business and ask that they consider changing their policy and present your reasons. Perhaps if enough people question the policy they might change it. If they don't its their property. Property rights have been trampled on in this country as much as gun rights have. Each needs to be respected and preserved.
You ascribe all sorts of negative things to OCers, and you're "all for open carry", but the best I get from your post is that you don't want to do it because it would be confrontational, right? :uhoh:

"So don't show it to start a scene." - yep, that's pretty much the only reason why I do it - to start a fight of one kind or another.:quirky

It would benefit you to read more here on OCDO rather than assuming your assumptions are accurate, or denigrating those whom you evidentlydon't know much about.

Please use paragraphs - it's hard to read your posts.

Derka

imported post

Legend45 wrote:
Perhaps if enough people question the policy they might change it. If they don't its their property. Property rights have been trampled on in this country as much as gun rights have. Each needs to be respected and preserved.

I am a little confused as to what you are talking about. Trespassing was not part of this situation as described.If you are trying to say that city owned property is private, then you have a serious misunderstanding of city ownership.

Regardless, I don't see how LEOs requiring a person to stop a fully legal, Constitutionally protectedactivity is in any way related to property rights.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I am all for open carry, but one thing I've learned in life is that calmer minds prevail. If you want to go toe to toe with a police officer all that will end uphappening is you getting arrested and your gun confiscated. If you want to make a point like that be my quest. Me I'd rather not use that method. If you want to organize a march down second ave to the federal building count me in. Your not going to change any policies doing it your way, getting arrested then having to petition to get your gun back.

You are so cute. And wrong. Actually, the people on this board have been instrumental in forcing several cities, towns, etc, that had laws disallowing open carry to be overturned. The entire thread about the "Training Bulletins" show that not only are you wrong about what you are saying, but that your condescending tone towards open carriers in general is based on ignorance, not fact.

The calmer mind should be the one using force, the police officer, not those who are in the right and simply want to exercise a Right framed in Constitution, State Law, etc. The "method" is simply using those rights. Your whole "toe to toe" crap is a bunch of macho BS. Several people on this board have been arrested for nothing, charged and have shown that the officers perjure themselves over this issue. "Lunged at me" is one comment, though "Twitching like an addict" is my favorite. Keep those hidden video recordings coming!