• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO gave me a ticket...

Gene Beasley

imported post

w07rolla wrote:
A mere report of a man with a gun is not grounds for a Terry stop. Florida v. J. L., 529 U.S. 266 (2000)
Josh,

Here is alink for that opinion. You will find a lot of useful resources on Northwest Citizens Defense League http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=26

I'm open to correction, but I think the key phrase in J.L. was anonymous 911 report not being grounds for a Terry stop. Not sure of the circumstances of your stop; for some reason I am confusing your incident with the Fife incident. Best of luck.

w07rolla

imported post

FishOrMan wrote:
Josh,

Just wanted you to know, you are supported!

Find it hard to believe that 19.41.270 hasn't been ruled Unconstitutional Vague when applied to someone peacefully open carrying...

And be careful, they might claim having the CPL means you had the means to exercise that right without showing the gun.  Judges seem to think shall not infringe means shall not totally infringe.  Might want to have misremembered that you misplaced that little piece of paper, therefore you couldn't legally follow the officers request to conceal...

What's the point of waiting for the perfect case/time to rise up against this crap when we all know it will never come.  It's been years since my case, so where's the SAF's response now?

Date? Time? Place?  for court appearance?

You've got friends you never knew of.

FishOrMan

FishOrMan,

Thank you very much, and everyone else for the support, I was not aware I had so many friends, I didnt know :D.

I agree about 9.41.270 being too vague. I am going to try and make as big of an impact as possible. I am willing (and planning) on sticking to my guns (lol), and "rise up against this crap". This is something I am going to worry about later, in civil court :)

N00b question, but what is SAF? lol Tomorrow, I go into court at 8 am, and I am going to see if I can get this dropped. Support would be wonderful for future court dates, I am sure I am going to have them whatever way this goes.

Josh

w07rolla

imported post

dt wrote:
Holy crud!

This is gonna cost Vancouver PD... I guess I'm assuming it was VPD...I hope the CC Sheriff's Dept. isn't this far in left field.

Please post any information you can, whatever won't put your case at risk. 

Good luck, and please let us know of any public court appearances that we can attend.

Is there any reason I should refrain from emailing Vancouver PD in this case?  I don't want to do anything that might hurt the legal response, but at the same time I'm PO'd enough to want to do something. 

Yes, this was VPD, I do not think i would of had a problem with CCSD. As stated, court is tomorrow, and I will keep you and everyone of other dates for ppl who are interested in coming to support. I dont see a problem with sending an e-mail to them, however, I think Lonnie might have a better idea than I would.

Josh

w07rolla

imported post

Gene Beasley wrote:
Josh,

Here is a link for that opinion.  You will find a lot of useful resources on Northwest Citizens Defense League  http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=26

I'm open to correction, but I think the key phrase in J.L. was anonymous 911 report not being grounds for a Terry stop.  Not sure of the circumstances of your stop; for some reason I am confusing your incident with the Fife incident.  Best of luck.

Thank you for the link. That makes sense about the Terry stop. I was not too sure about that, and I didnt want to go blabbing about stuff I was not certain on.

Josh

Kildars

imported post

I can not wait to see how this one turns out.

Go get 'em lonnie. I went on a ride along recently with an SPD officer and we just happened to drive by someone who was OCing. Just to see the officers reaction, I was like, "dang look at that guy." and the officer was like, "That's legal. He can do that." I was pretty proud.

cynicist

imported post

Thank you very much, and everyone else for the support, I was not aware I had so many friends, I didnt know

I was surprised too on my reason for coming here. That's why I stuck around.

From what I see OCers are people who aren't afraid to stick up for themselves, and the situation forces them to be knowledgable of the law, and when you get enough of them together...

JBURGII

imported post

cynicist wrote:
Thank you very much, and everyone else for the support, I was not aware I had so many friends, I didnt know

I was surprised too on my reason for coming here. That's why I stuck around.

From what I see OCers are people who aren't afraid to stick up for themselves, and the situation forces them to be knowledgable of the law, and when you get enough of them together...

What I see in groups such as this is a reflection of what the Founding Fathers had in mind to begin with. We are the People. We need to act like it. That is what I see here are peopleshowing they have a backbone and sticking up for themselves and each other.

I have seen a lot of local OC groups sprout up in the short time I have been involved with OCDO and other national and local groups. I can see sometime in the not so far future an Open Carry Convention..

OP: Good luck, you have our support from Oregon.

James

w07rolla

imported post

UPDATE:

I went in prepared and ready, until I talked with the PA. He didnt even want to look at the papers I brought in. He said with the information in the report, he could not make the decision to drop the case. I of course pled not guilty. After court, I went to get the police report...come to find out I couldnt because of its status. I told them I was representing myself (technically, I am until I get a lawyer). I was sent to 10 different people and buildings in order to get a copy. Finally got to the right place and within 14 days I will have the police report.

Next hearing is Feb 18 (wed) at 830 am. If the case is not settled on this date (it wont be unless they dismiss the case), then a trial date will be set. I have a civil lawyer, I just need to find a good criminal lawyer.

Josh

dt

imported post

w07rolla wrote:
UPDATE:

I went in prepared and ready, until I talked with the PA. He didnt even want to look at the papers I brought in. He said with the information in the report, he could not make the decision to drop the case. I of course pled not guilty. After court, I went to get the police report...come to find out I couldnt because of its status. I told them I was representing myself (technically, I am until I get a lawyer). I was sent to 10 different people and buildings in order to get a copy. Finally got to the right place and within 14 days I will have the police report.

Next hearing is Feb 18 (wed) at 830 am. If the case is not settled on this date (it wont be unless they dismiss the case), then a trial date will be set. I have a civil lawyer, I just need to find a good criminal lawyer.

Josh

Is this a public hearing that we can attend?

joeroket

imported post

I only know what it is for violent felony related charges. Retainer fees usual vary depending on the severity of the charge because their time will vary as a result of the charges.

w07rolla

imported post

I am going to try and find a good local lawyer, if possible. If I cant, then Randy said he is willing to drive down, and be a criminal lawyer.

Josh

EDIT: I am sure I can find a good criminal lawyer.

w07rolla

imported post

How do you "shop" around for a lawyer? I have found a few that are familiar in gun rights...according to their website. Then again someone could just put info up to make them sound really good. You know what I mean?

Josh

EDIT: I want to get a good attorney, however, I dont think I need a super fantastic attorney because I think this is a pretty simple case, or as stated by someone else, an open and close case...I have a meeting tomorrow with an attorney

joeroket

imported post

w07rolla wrote:
How do you "shop" around for a lawyer? I have found a few that are familiar in gun rights...according to their website. Then again someone could just put info up to make them sound really good. You know what I mean?

Josh
Call their office on the phone and ask about their experience in these types of cases. If you find one that you think would suit you then make an appointment for a consultation, any decent one will give 30 min. to an hour consultation for free. During the consultation make sure and ask about his experience again. You should be able to get a good feel for them this way. In my experience if he is the one that answers the phone then he is either lacking experience, in other words a new lawyer, or he is not that good of one.

dt

imported post

This might be crazy, but how about calling:

Get Help By Phone
Volunteer complaint counselors take calls during varying times within our business day. Please call (206) 624-2180 to talk to a counselor, or to find out the current times during which calls are accepted. If we are not available, you will receive a message outlining our current hours for the complaint line. Please note that we do not accept voicemail messages.

That's right, try calling the WA office of the ACLU! :celebrateSince your civil liberties were most certainly violated.

Then when they (likely) refuse to help you, write a letter to every media source you can think of and throw some egg on their face for picking and choosing which civil liberties they support.