Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff DeLeo moves to Dismiss soccer mom's law suit

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind..._court_to.html

Lebanon sheriff asks court to dismiss gun owner's suit
    by MONICA VON DOBENECK, Of The Patriot-News
    Friday December 26, 2008, 4:54 PM
    CHRIS KNIGHT, The Patriot-NewsGun owner Meleanie Hain speaks to the media after her gun permit hearing at the Lebanon County Courthouse in Lebanon on Oct. 14.Attorneys for Lebanon County Sheriff Michael J. DeLeo today moved to dismiss a $1 million federal lawsuit brought by Meleanie Hain and her husband, saying that the suit has no legal basis and should be thrown out.
    Hain claims she is entitled to $1 million in damages, including emotional distress and loss of baby-sitting clients, after DeLeo revoked her license to carry a concealed firearm following complaints from parents that Hain openly carried a loaded gun to her 5-year-old's soccer games. A judge later reinstated the permit.

Hain's husband is also seeking damages, claiming that the sheriff's actions caused him to lose the "companionship, consortium, society and services" of his wife, according to the Hains' complaint filed in the case.

The motion to dismiss was filed today in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

DeLeo is represented by David L. Schwalm and Scott D. McCarroll of Harrisburg. Attorneys with the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence offered free legal assistance and plan to assist DeLeo's counsel, according to Daniel R. Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Center.

"It should be obvious to anyone that a civilian bringing an openly carried, loaded semiautomatic weapon to a child's soccer game poses a grave risk to the community," Vice said

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    "It should be obvious to anyone that a civilian bringing an openly carried, loaded semiautomatic weapon to a child's soccer game poses a grave risk to the community," Vice said
    So he's insinuating that the Sheriff is capable of determining a citizen's risk factor to the community based on the legal activities in which that citizen chooses to engage?

Does his opinion even matter?

Post imported post

He said 'civilian', which indicates all law enforcement not in the military...

So... a member of the armed forces is okay in his opinion? >.> Odd...

I'd love for his explanation why open carry is a danger, I really would.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

Obviously, it's far preferable to have armed soldiers stationed at soccer games than for a few parents to take proactive responsibility for the safety of everyone present.

Banned

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    Obviously, it's far preferable to have armed soldiers stationed at soccer games than for a few parents to take proactive responsibility for the safety of everyone present.
    Well duh, soldiers never kill innocent bystabahahaaaaahahahahahaha I can't finish that sentence.

Post imported post

No greater risk to the community than the drug addicts and criminals that live in the Low Income Housing right next to the Soccer Field. Fact is Meleanie makes that part of the community safer fro her children and herself by her being there with a "openly carried, loaded, semiautomatic weapon."

But of course we all know how effective the police and gun laws are, just look at Washington, DC, Detroit, New Jersey and New York, Chicago.... very effective at keeping the crime rates high somore federal dollars keep flowing into them.

Post imported post

Comment posted.

Post imported post

I can't believe this sheriff hasn't been put on administrative leave..

He's in the process of becoming quite a $,$$$,$$$liability to the county..

Post imported post

Carnivore wrote:
    I can't believe this sheriff hasn't been put on administrative leave..
    He is elected to the office. He would have to be impeached (or whatever the proper term is for PA)

Post imported post

HMMmmm !! your right, has any of the Lebanon county open carriers initiated a petition yet?

Post imported post

Well the elections are this year...he is quoted in the paper yesterday saying that he plans on running and winning yet again. At this time there is no one running against him so he'll get his wish as the voters won't even have another option unless someone steps up. Sure as hell hope that doesn't happen.

Post imported post

Why don't you run for sheriff?

I'd love to run if it weren't so far from Pittsburgh. All you're required to run is the intent to stay in PA and in the area in which you're running.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

Nominate Malanie Hain..

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Carnivore wrote:
    Nominate Malanie Hain..
    I second the motion.

All in favor say "Yea!" :celebrate

Come on Meleanie didn't I see somewhere that you wanted to pursue such a career. This would seem to be written in the stars. Poetic justice if ever it existed.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I can't run. It wouldn't be good for the pending lawsuit. I could not stop anyone from writing my name in on their own though...... I would never campaign for that but it would be hilarious if people did it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

shefearsnothing wrote:
    I can't run. It wouldn't be good for the pending lawsuit. I could not stop anyone from writing my name in on their own though...... I would never campaign for that but it would be hilarious if people did it.
    Okay Pennsylvanians - the challenge has been made.

Wanna make a statement? A REALLY big statement.

A vote for Meleanie Hain is a vote for your rights & a decent Sheriff.

I love win/win situations.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I had a discussion with my brother inlaw while out in Gettysburg, He ask me why I thought Mrs. Hain needed a gun at a kids soccer game ?

I then ask doug why he thought we had mass shootings at Malls?Sporting events?Christmas Parties?or anyplace where folks would gather for an innocent outing of activity that was far removed from the thought of having to have to defend yourself,

He replied because someone just goes whacko!

I said No, the whackos are already out there moving about, their just looking for the place to find the most vulnerable/innocent, and unsuspecting and defenseless victims, seeing a firearm on this womans side is probably the most proactive way to deter anyone from pulling this crap in your presence, she not only isn't willing to be a victim, she's basically put herself out in front of someone who may consider such an act in this innocent defenseless crowd at a childrens event.

Then I asked, when was the last time you heard of someone busting into a troop station of state police to shoot as many people as possible as fast as possible and try to make the headlines?

He says never, I askwhy do you think that is so? He said because there's guns in there. I said there you have it, Onedeterance of violence is the thought that someone may be able to shoot back..

Mel. I'd be willing to bet you have two supporters in the gettysburg area even though they can't vote in your county, go ahead and light that match, I'd bet you'll have a chance at beating that jerk that already feels he's a shoo in..

Banned

Post imported post

I'm just glad I'm on the other end of the state.

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    I'm just glad I'm on the other end of the state.
    Yes, you're fortunate to not have to deal with DeLeo.

Banned

Post imported post

I'd take a dozen of him before half of you.

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    QFT.

You are in the minority

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    Careful what you wish for, the good lord might answer yer prayers this time..

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    you may have answered this before, but would you mind stating where your animosity for SFN comes from? Did she beat your ass in a game of tennis or something?

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    A lot of people felt the same way about Bull Connor.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Aran wrote:
    Well, I'm sure there are plenty here who feel the same way about you.

Well, maybe not. Depends on which half of you they were getting. In a hardball negotiation, I'm betting they'd settle for just your head.

(Sorry, guys. I couldn't resist.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast