Thread: Digital Voice Recorder & MS open carry

Post imported post

I am new to the forum and have read where if you open carry, it is a good idea to carry a DVR so, I ordered this: Olympus WS-311M

As most of you know, some say that a holstered weapon is considered a concealed weapon in MS, so when I am open carrying, I will have this recorder in my shirt pocket recording.

Hopefully it, as well as my gun,will never be needed, but if it is...

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

MS statute defines a concealed weapon as one that is 'concealed in whole or in part', and this has been taken extremely literally by the state supreme court, even to the point of the last case in the 70s where the opinion states that even a handgun, tied to a string hanging around your neck is considered concealed.

Good luck on the open carry. This crappy ruling certainly needs to be revisited and the 5th circuit would be a good place to do it.

Post imported post

This crappy ruling certainly needs to be revisited and the 5th circuit would be a good place to do it.
    I would be more than willing to challenge it if I could be part of a group, maybe someday that will happen. Until then, I am going to continue the 'education' of my friends & family, but will follow the law as much as possible.

After I get my concealed carry permit, I plan on open carrying as much as I can (wife doesn't like it and I respect her), but when I have an encounter, the DVR will be recording and I will dodge the fact that I have a CC permit as long as possible.

All that needs to be done is the constitution needs to be reworded to the fact that a weapon cannot be concealed in whole or in part and a holster does not count as concealment.