• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SmartCarry

Statesman

imported post

I do not work for SmartCarry, etc, etc....

Had to put this option out there for you guys to check out. It could give the classic IWB style a run for its money.

I have not ordered a SmartCarry yet, however this is an option you will want to check out, even though it is for CC. It is worn as a pouch in front of your groin, and the reviews are impressive. The website is horrible, and about to be redesigned, but it seems the product is top notch. I will be getting one myself.

From the website:

[font="Arial, Helvetica"]How would you like to be able to wear the clothing of your choice, with no restrictions, have complete freedom of your body movements, a real plus for active people, while carrying a concealed handgun in complete safety and comfort that no one can detect? Sound too good to be true? It's a fact that[/font] [size="+1"][font="Times, Times Roman"]SmartCarry®[/font][/size] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]provides just that, for either male or female users! Here's what one lady had to say about her[/font] [size="+1"][font="Times, Times Roman"]SmartCarry®[/font][/size] [font="Arial, Helvetica"]concealed carry gun holster:[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"][/font]

http://www.smartcarry.com

(note there is a security V model that has an extra pouch for cash, etc...)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I tried the smart carry...can't say it's any where near as magical as they like to make it seem. As long as you have a beer gut, and a lot of room in the front of your trousers, you're fine. Problem is, I have a relatively flat stomach, and my jeans fit me properly, so there isn't any extra room in front for anything but a pocket sized handgun. At that point, I just might as well carry in my pocket!

There is a guy at the local range that swears by it. He also has a beer gut. It works great for some people, but I'd highly recommend someone see one in person and try it on before spending the money.

DocV

imported post

I have one. It serves it's purpose if you need/want to carry discreetly.

It works better with smaller framed pistols/revolvers.

It works better with slacks, dress pants, and cargo shorts than it does with snug jeans.

I found it to be relatively comfortable but I wouldn't win any speed draw competitions with it.

And finally, don't let anyone plop down on your lap without warning. It can be a crushing experience...:what:

adamsesq

imported post

I use a smartcarry daily with a subcompact. Its great when you HAVE to be discrete and its even better when wearing running shorts and a t-shirt. I can work out, run, etc. etc. in it just as good as I can lounge on the couch. Its the only way to have a pistol on me 24/7 regardless of what I am wearing.

It's not my only holster, but its one that I can't imagine being without.

-adamsesq

Flintlock

imported post

adamsesq wrote:
I use a smartcarry daily with a subcompact. Its great when you HAVE to be discrete and its even better when wearing running shorts and a t-shirt. I can work out, run, etc. etc. in it just as good as I can lounge on the couch. Its the only way to have a pistol on me 24/7 regardless of what I am wearing.

It's not my only holster, but its one that I can't imagine being without.

-adamsesq
I agree. You could be sitting around the house, watching football andwearing lounge clothes, and still be comfortably carrying a wide-variety of sidearms with the SmartCarry. It's basic and simple, yet, it is effective if the need arises for deep concealment in a professional setting or while lounging at the house.

djstaehlin

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bought and wore a Smart Carry holster when I weighed 300 pounds. It worked extremely well in concealing my XD-9 service pistol or XD-45 compact pistol. It was my preferred method of carry.

After losing the excess weight, it no longer works for me at 180 pounds. I think it's a great product but it doesn't work for every one's body type or style of dress.

DJ

Flintlock

imported post

djstaehlin wrote:
I bought and wore a Smart Carry holster when I weighed 300 pounds. It worked extremely well in concealing my XD-9 service pistol or XD-45 compact pistol. It was my preferred method of carry.

After losing the excess weight, it no longer works for me at 180 pounds. I think it's a great product but it doesn't work for every one's body type or style of dress.

DJ
Interesting... I am relatively thin at169 pounds and I can use it just fine. I guess it depends on the body type...

djstaehlin

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flintlock wrote
Interesting... I am relatively thin at169 pounds and I can use it just fine. I guess it depends on the body type...:
I agree that it depends on the body type. I tend to like my pants a little snug now and usually wear them on my hips rather than my waist. That simple fact probably explains it more than my weight loss.

I do like the Smart Carry and would encourage people to give it a try. They offer a 60-day trial period purchased directly from them. Maybe I'll order a new one with a standard length strap.

http://smartcarry.com/trial.htm

DJ

cREbralFIX

imported post

I don't use Smart Carry anymore because of what happened to this guy:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=393304

AD from a smart carry type holster
I'm not eager to post this, but an airline pilot friend of mine told me that my AD changed his mind about how he carries on duty, and maybe my story will change someone elses' mind as well.

Friday, Sep. 5 is a day I will long remember. I'm 47 y/o, married, father of three (10,18,20 y/o olds) and I've been shooting since I was ten. I've never had an AD or ND; I've never been injured by a firearm. I'm the type that triple checks for safety; the type that reads the manuals of a firearm to know how it operates.

This spring, I bought a CZ 82 which is a Makarov design, 9mm Makarov caliber pistol. I've shot the CZ 75's on several occasions and I like the simplicity of the CZ design along with the all steel frame. I'm not a big fan of autoloaders, as they have a propensity for AD/ND that revolvers don't have. But, I figured the little gun would be a good BUG and good for the wife or girls to shoot and/or carry. At the time, I only had one handgun and that was my full size, Colt .357.

One big problem with the CZ 82 is finding a holster. I had looked at a lot of holsters and was intrigued with the Smart Carry holster for deep concealment. Reno had a big gun show at the end of August, and I had hoped to find the folks from Smart Carry there so I could look at their holsters 'up close'. Instead, I found someone selling a nylon version of this holster. He claimed that this holster was thinner and the nylon was tougher than the Smart Carry material, so the holster would last longer. At $30 the price was right, and the CZ snuggled into the pocket like it was made for it.

The holster looked like this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...Picture002.jpg

So, I tried out the holster first with the gun empty. I normally carry the CZ 'cocked and locked', and I wanted to make sure the manual safety wouldn't come off. The problem I had was that the gun wanted to slide into a 45 degree angle with that double stack grip canted over on the right side, which was uncomfortable. Anyway, the gun seemed to carry safely with the manual safety staying on, but the problem was comfort. I wasn't carrying with the gun trapped under my belt, it was below the belt and not comfortable.

I pulled up the Smart Carry site and the video they have of putting on a Smart Carry rig and tried that technique, which seemed to work. You have the gun carried on the centerline of your body, with the grip under (or just below) your belt and the barrel pointed straight down. On the morning of the accident, this is how I was carrying the weapon.

Friday morning and I've put the holster on, slipped the gun into the pouch and I'm planning to go to town on errands. The dogs are bugging me to go for a walk along the river, and I figure it won't take that much time. We live on a hill above a small river, so I take the dogs and head out down the dirt road to the river. At the river, I check the guns' safety, and it's still on (remember, this is a new position for me to carry it in).

I walked for three or four hundred yards along the river, as usual. Coming back there is a point at which I have to stop and pull the stickers out of my little Schnauzers fur. I squatted down to pull the stickers, and the weapon discharged one round into my groin.

Part one....part two in the next post.....

When the weapon discharged, I remember standing up and yanking the weapon out of my pants, wondering just what the #$%^ had happened. It's an odd feeling being shot. The body is screaming that it's in trouble while the mind is racing to catch up on what just happened.

I realized I was bleeding pretty good, but not enough to have hit an artery. I safed the weapon, stuck it behind my back and put pressure on the wound. I then discovered a big mistake I had made---no cell phone! I had to walk back, about 1/4 mile to the house to roust my daughters and call 911.

I'll make a long story short in that I was Careflighted to a trauma center where a very good surgeon took three hours to repair the damage. The round was a 95 gr. Hornady XTP that patially fragmented. I had three holes in my penis and a smashed left testicle. I know this is a bit graphic, but especially the guys need to realize what can happen when you carry a gun 'ready to go' inside your pants.

I was discharged the next Monday, and a full recovery is expected. The blown out bottom of the holster looks like this:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...Picture001.jpg

Folks, everybody needs to be really careful not only how they carry, but in what they carry. I can only figure that having the slide under the belt allowed the safety to come off leaving the gun cocked. The holster material was very thin, which apparently allowed the heavy denim of my jeans to bunch into the trigger guard and set the gun off.

One of the rules of choosing a holster is to get one that covers the trigger guard---but you also need one that is made of a material stiff enough to prevent anything from pushing on that trigger!

You also really need to think about a worst case scenario if you're carrying a semi-auto IWB that is ready to fire. Is that really a good idea? Or would a revolver be a better choice. I know that some jurisdictions have rules on firearm carry that make it almost impossible to carry except in deep concealment. But do yourself a favor and carry as safely as possible.

My airline pilot friend decided not to carry an auto-loader in an IWB after hearing what happened. He instead will be carrying his Ruger SP101 in a cross draw rig when he's piloting the commercial airlines he flies. I hope my story gets others to thinking about the consequences of how we carry.

The moral of the story: no soft holsters that have flexible material near the triggerguard!

Flintlock

imported post

Well, for on thing the guy was using an imitation holster designed to be a knock-off to the Smartcarry and wasn't an actual holster manufactured by them. Holding Smartcarry responsible in this instance would be unfair.

Secondly and most importantly, if the bullet actually hit the guy's testicles, then he was not properly wearing the holster in the first place. It was too high..

http://www.smartcarry.com/scinvi.htm

As for the firearm in question, I can't speak to the design, safety, and quality ofhis Makarov as I have never owned one, but itcould also have been a contributing factor.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, I don't think its fair to blame smartholster for that cheap knockoff. They guy choose to save about 20bucks and bought the wrong thing completly. Another thing well overlook by about everyone on the smartholster issue is the guy had a round in the chamber, now he said he been using differnt holster and guns for x number of years, I say for your own safety first, don't keep a round in the chamber, completely unsafe in my book and it should be for all of you to. A round in the camber is light playing chicken with a brick way at full speed in your car. If you have to draw for self defense or defending someone else it only takes a split second to charge that firearm.

The only way I'd walk around with a round in the chamber is if I were OC'ing with a double locking holster and the weapon always on safe of course.

And I definitly disagree with the comment that he made in that post, that he should of been carrying a revolver. What do you have with a revolver 5,6 maybe 8 bullets plus the fact that the hammer is exposed for accidental discharge if you don't by the new revolvers that have the hammer internal. Speed loaders for the revolver are alot harder to carry than clips/mags. I say buy yourself a good model Glock, there relatively cheap for the type of dependable firearm you get, very accurate, and you can even by compact versons of them now that are double stacked and still carry a large cal. round with extra mags, with no round in the chamber. But carry as you see fit. Thanks for reading my comment on this article.

superdemon

imported post

I tried one of these on...

If you are not sporting a gut, these things don't work at all.

I'm 5'8", about 190 (trim), and when I tried this thing on and walked out of the bathroom with a gun in it, it looked like I had some sort of horrible lower abdominal ailment.

The clerk said I didn't have it adjusted right, so I took his advice, went back to the bathroom, and made some adjustments...

I came out of the bathroom the second time looking like I should have been a millionaire in the adult entertainment industry...

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

superdemon wrote:

I'm 5'8", about 190 (trim), and when I tried this thing on and walked out of the bathroom with a gun in it, it looked like I had some sort of horrible lower abdominal ailment.

The clerk said I didn't have it adjusted right, so I took his advice, went back to the bathroom, and made some adjustments...

I came out of the bathroom the second time looking like I should have been a millionaire in the adult entertainment industry...
yeah, I see what your saying, I don't own one of these so called smart holsters, but I when to there website and the guy in the video did a pretty good job demonstrating the way to wear it. Although I still wouldn't trust the barrel of a firearm that close to that particular part of my body. lol about millionaire adult entertainment thing, that's pretty funny. You must of put a very long barreled pistol in that carrier

superdemon

imported post

Mr.Advocate wrote:
superdemon wrote:

yeah, I see what your saying, I don't own one of these so called smart holsters, but I when to there website and the guy in the video did a pretty good job demonstrating the way to wear it. Although I still wouldn't trust the barrel of a firearm that close to that particular part of my body. lol about millionaire adult entertainment thing, that's pretty funny. You must of put a very long barreled pistol in that carrier
I tried both my Glock 22 and the 27. It's not that either were particularly long, but it gave a huge bulge in the area, and I was wearing slacks at the time. Standing still, it looked like I was incredibly "excited" about something. There's no way I could wear it in public without looking like a pervert.

When I walked, the gun hit my thighs, and moved around a lot. It looked like I had two ferrets fighting in my pants. It was ridiculous.

I suppose if you were a little overweight, slouched like a hunchback, and actually had room in your pants for a gun, it would work...

I'm not big on needing two hands to present my firearm, anyway.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, I'm not big on the issue of having to use both hands to get my firearm out either.

I think I'll stay clear away from that weapon carrier, I've learned alot about it hearing everyone hear talk about it. That enough to keep me from buying one.

superdemon

imported post

Mr.Advocate wrote:
Yeah, I'm not big on the issue of having to use both hands to get my firearm out either.

I think I'll stay clear away from that weapon carrier, I've learned alot about it hearing everyone hear talk about it. That enough to keep me from buying one.
I taught myself how to draw from concealment with one hand with every holster I have ever had, including belly-band holsters.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I taught myself how to draw from concealment with one hand with every holster I have ever had, including belly-band holsters.

Wow superdemon, that's pretty impressive, that would take a lot of practice in order for me do be able to do some thing like that with just one hand draw from concealment. Awesome comment