• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SmartCarry

marrandy

imported post

superdemon wrote:
It wasn't anything special, just lots of practice. I'm about as clumsy as you can get...

I get the sense that he was being facetious...YMMV.

I've had the SmartCarry for 5-years with a berretta 92SF. It works fine as long as you don't want to use tight trousers/shorts/jeans.

So, it wasn't a SmartCarry. Nice to associate a cheap copy product with SmartCarry and put people off.

The holster material was very thin and may have folded - yeh, not a SmartCarry.

He had a round in the chamber...yeh, some people think that will give them advantage. draw and load skills would be better. Safety's on the gun ?

Shot his penis...is he hung really low or have the SmartCarry really high ?. Correctly fitted, the bottom is at or lower than your crotch. Shoot yourself in the leg or foot OK - but still, don't carry with a round in the chamber, know your gun and safety's and don't buy cheap knockoffs. SmartCarry has pretty thick layers of material and works really well.

That reminds me, I need to get my wife one :)

superdemon

imported post

He was also carrying a Makarov, wasn't he?

Last time I took a Makarov off a prisoner, I broke it beyond all repair by just pulling the slide back to clear the chamber. About half a dozen pieces fell into my hand from under the slide.

Good thing the judge ordered it destroyed...

:p

tracylaud83

imported post

I use my Makarov in the Smartcarry all the time, Like any holster, it's all in what "YOU" like.

next to open carry (not allowed here), it is my preferred choice, living in Florida.

marrandy

imported post

superdemon wrote

I taught myself how to draw from concealment with one hand with every holster I have ever had, including belly-band holsters.
SmartCarry suggests you use one hand to pull your trousers/shorts forward slightly and grasp the gun with the other. As I don't carry 'hot', as the gun comes out I move my trouser holding hand to the slide and as I start to bring the gun up and extend my arm 'cock' (rack the slide) the weapon. When you practice this enough dry, it becomes one fluid movement.

But whatever your comfortable with.

The designer of the SmartCarry carries a 1911 45AC in Condition 1 (bullet in the chamber, hammer cocked back and only the safety on).

http://www.smartcarry.com/cocklock.htm

But in the end, its what you feel comfortable with. Its your gun, your responsibility, if anything should happen, then its your problem.

Be responsible and be safe.

superdemon

imported post

tracylaud83 wrote:
I use my Makarov in the Smartcarry all the time, Like any holster, it's all in what "YOU" like.

next to open carry (not allowed here), it is my preferred choice, living in Florida.
Not to be an ass, but you prefer the Makarov?

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't believe in Smart Carries little opinion on having a round in the chamber, its stupid, and down right unsafe, and there trying to call it a unready gun. Give me a break, unready my ass. With enough practice you'll have know problem carrying and putting a round in the chamber with a blink of an I. I personally know a lot of carriers that do not walk or drive around with round in the chamber. They only time I ever put a round in the chamber as a civilian besides going to the range was this one time I was being followed by a very angry man who saw me increase my speed through a yellow light to make it, he ended up running the red light to stay behind me, and in fact he wasn't a LEO at all, and even if he was he had no lights or sirens on his he vehicle. I'm not going to get into a long story about it but having my gun with me was needless to say a great advantage that day. Always carry, til that day always, that day is a constant reminder to always carry.:celebrate

marrandy

imported post

Mr.Advocate wrote:
I don't believe in Smart Carries little opinion on having a round in the chamber, its stupid, and down right unsafe,

Well I don't carry 'hot' as I already said, but as I don't have a 1911 I looked it up.

a) Rear grip safety

b) Slide (thumb) safety

c) You have to pull the trigger.

So Three things have to happen to fire the weapon.

I can only assume that he thinks the slide/thumb safety is really good. I know when I test carried my Berretta 92SF, that after a days use, the safety would normally be off when I checked. If you don't know that weapon, the safety is easy to take off, a little more force to put on.

Now I carry a XD45. Not hot again. I selected the one without the thumb safety. It has the rear grip safety like the 1911 and the double trigger (which I think is mostly worthless actually) like the glock. Why no thumb safety. Well, I don't carry hot and there is enough going on racking the slide without having to worry about a thumb safety as well. At that stage, I have already decided to engage and only the other persons final responses will stop me from pulling the trigger.
Displaying a weapon for gain or leverage (brandishing) is a serious offense, in many places a criminal offense and people should also remember that.

But its not stupid to carry hot, just because you feel safer doing it differently.
Different guns, different carrying holsters, different personalities, different reasons.

YMMV

superdemon

imported post

I always, always carry hot. An automatic is only going to malfunction when trying to cycle a round, so if you go to skin it, and mess up chambering the first round, you are screwed...

Carry hot, and you can at least get one round off before the malfunction.

Just my opinion of course, to each his own.

Peace and strength.

marrandy

imported post

superdemon wrote:
I always, always carry hot. An automatic is only going to malfunction when trying to cycle a round, so if you go to skin it, and mess up chambering the first round, you are screwed...

Peace and strength.
Sure...I understand that.

Even with my Berretta 92SF, even if the safety came off, it would still take a long hard pull of the trigger whilst concealed as I would have had the hammer down if I chose to carry hot. I just don't carry hot. Personal choice.

With the XD45, there is no exposed hammer, so if I did chose to carry hot, it would be all on the double trigger. It makes me think I should have picked the model with the thumb safety in case I changed my mind.

Ahh well...life goes on.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

superdemon wrote:
I always, always carry hot. An automatic is only going to malfunction when trying to cycle a round, so if you go to skin it, and mess up cambering the first round, you are screwed...

Peace and strength.

I never carry hot, to each there own though, it to me, is very stupid and a good way to put a bullet through your leg, or nuts,lol. So don't carry hot, unless your OC'ing CC and carrying hot is a good way to get shot. And everyone talks about revolvers this and revolvers that, yeah, alot a good a revolver does with only six shots , what maybe eight,lol, f that crap I rather be carrying 20rounds in a clip of a glock with back up mags, then carry a revolver with with a few speed loaders. I use to own a glock 17 model 9mm, its NEVER and I mean NEVER JAMMED DO TO THE WEAPON ITSELF. If you buy a good firearm, you don't have to worry about it jamming, H&K, Kahr, Glock,Beretta, all good firearms, I can only tell you about the Glock though, there relatively cheap, very dependable, a very well made. It jammed once at the range do to Operator ERROR, I tried to load a 40cal. round in a 9mm barrel, lol, it wasn't happening. However stupid it sounds , I didn't try to do it on purpose, the round ended up with the rest of my rounds by accident, so I grabbed it like any other round.

superdemon

imported post

Mr.Advocate wrote:
superdemon wrote:
I always, always carry hot. An automatic is only going to malfunction when trying to cycle a round, so if you go to skin it, and mess up cambering the first round, you are screwed...

Peace and strength.

I never carry hot, to each there own though, it to me, is very stupid and a good way to put a bullet through your leg, or nuts,lol. So don't carry hot, unless your OC'ing CC and carrying hot is a good way to get shot. And everyone talks about revolvers this and revolvers that, yeah, alot a good a revolver does with only six shots , what maybe eight,lol, f that crap I rather be carrying 20rounds in a clip of a glock with back up mags, then carry a revolver with with a few speed loaders. I use to own a glock 17 model 9mm, its NEVER and I mean NEVER JAMMED DO TO THE WEAPON ITSELF. If you buy a good firearm, you don't have to worry about it jamming, H&K, Kahr, Glock,Beretta, all good firearms, I can only tell you about the Glock though, there relatively cheap, very dependable, a very well made. It jammed once at the range do to Operator ERROR, I tried to load a 40cal. round in a 9mm barrel, lol, it wasn't happening. However stupid it sounds , I didn't try to do it on purpose, the round ended up with the rest of my rounds by accident, so I grabbed it like any other round.

Carrying hot means that you absolutely have to have trigger discipline. A Glock will not ever, ever, ever fire unless you have your finger on the trigger. If your finger is on the trigger, you should have assumed a target. If you have assumed a target, you should have made the decision to shoot. If you have made the decision to shoot, your finger should be on the trigger....

You see how this is all cyclic?

If you are anxious about your ability to carry hot, you need more training and (trigger) discipline. An unchambered weapon is a paperweight.

Owning/carrying any firearm means discipline. That includes keeping your ammo seperated by calibre. It also means paying attention to wtf you are doing when you are loading the weapon. If you can't tell the difference between 9mm and .40 by feel, let alone by sight, you could use more range time...

When I was in basic training, the instructors would hand us a huge box of mixed ammo, and you had one minute to load as many mags as possible with the correct ammo. It really, really comes in handy to be able to tell a .40 from a 9mm by feel...

I am not trying to slam people here, only to promote personal responsibility.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Carrying hot means that you absolutely have to have trigger discipline. A Glock will not ever, ever, ever fire unless you have your finger on the trigger. If your finger is on the trigger, you should have assumed a target. If you have assumed a target, you should have made the decision to shoot. If you have made the decision to shoot, your finger should be on the trigger....

You see how this is all cyclic?

If you are anxious about your ability to carry hot, you need more training and (trigger) discipline. An unchambered weapon is a paperweight.

Owning/carrying any firearm means discipline. That includes keeping your ammo separated by calibre. It also means paying attention to wtf you are doing when you are loading the weapon. If you can't tell the difference between 9mm and .40 by feel, let alone by sight, you could use more range time...

When I was in basic training, the instructors would hand us a huge box of mixed ammo, and you had one minute to load as many mags as possible with the correct ammo. It really, really comes in handy to be able to tell a .40 from a 9mm by feel...

I am not trying to slam people here, only to promote personal responsibility.

Ok ok you made your point superdemon, its not the fact that I feel anxious about carrying hot aka round in the chamber, its the fact that accidents can't be avoided, hence the reason they are called accidents. Now I had spend many years in the army, had alot of training on firearms in the Army, never on pistols though, so I didn't learn really how to hold, shoot, and field strip a pistol until after the military. Did it on my own for starters, realize, hey, I need alot of help that was after I mixed ammo not on purpose. So after that I had a retired police officer happy train me at his local range , he didn't even charge me cause I was prior military and a war vet of Iraq, how cool is that. Anyways to make a long story short, I'm a more efficient more safe carrier, and pistol handler all the way around, that includes putting the rounds where you want them on the target. So that being said, I'm no professional on this, but I've had enough experience with pistol firearms for the last 5 yrs. that I feel I can honestly answer on this without looking like a ignorant idiot, so I did post my response. I believe a heavy trigger and a good safety, and if carrying a revolver go ahead and have a great holster with a good hammer look piece in the back, carrying hot is fine, but that would be the only way besides OC'ing that I would ever carry hot. Mainly the fact is a carry large caliber rounds in a very small firearm, usually keltec 380's and 25's and 32 calibers all in pocket holsters that fight right in my main pants pocket. So If you carry like that, I would highly not recommend carrying hot, simply put, accidents happen.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There is no such thing as an AD -accidental discharge.

100% are NDs - negligent discharges.

IMO the use of the word "accidental" is simply an attempt to avoid personal responsibility.

I carry a 1911 in condition 1 and this is neither accidental nor negligent. It is personally responsible.

I don't mix my ammo, play with my guns, put my finger on the trigger until intending to shoot. This to is being personally responsible.

Yata hey

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
There is no such thing as an AD -accidental discharge.

100% are NDs - negligent discharges.

IMO the use of the word "accidental" is simply an attempt to avoid personal responsibility.

I carry a 1911 in condition 1 and this is neither accidental nor negligent. It is personally responsible.

I don't mix my ammo, play with my guns, put my finger on the trigger until intending to shoot. This to is being personally responsible.

Yata hey
I apologize to say, there are such things as accidental discharges Mr. Grapeshot, sorry to say, but its true, thats like saying responsible driver have no accidents its just pure negligence, is that what your saying ,lol:lol:get out of here, are you serious. You can be careful all you want and do everything by the book and have 30yrs experience, but if its going to happen then its going to happen.

SpizyChicken

imported post

I have to say I'm a very good driver. The only times I have been in an accident was from either my OWN negligence (Driving too fast - Not watching the Road - or Showing Off - or due to someone else negligence, following too close and rear-ending me, or driving too fast.

Yes, a tire COULD blow out and you could be doing all the right things and still crash, BUT...I haven't heard of a BULLET just GOING OFF by itself with out a hammer strike or something else coming in contact with it.

In some instances there is such a thing as NO ACCIDENTS but only NEGLIGENCE to some degree.

When you get too confident with your years of experience that's when negligence happens.

Mr.Advocate

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SpizyChicken wrote:
I have to say I'm a very good driver. The only times I have been in an accident was from either my OWN negligence (Driving too fast - Not watching the Road - or Showing Off - or due to someone else negligence, following too close and rear-ending me, or driving too fast.

Yes, a tire COULD blow out and you could be doing all the right things and still crash, BUT...I haven't heard of a BULLET just GOING OFF by itself with out a hammer strike or something else coming in contact with it.

In some instances there is such a thing as NO ACCIDENTS but only NEGLIGENCE to some degree.

When you get too confident with your years of experience that's when negligence happens.
Accident #1 with a firearm- putting a a revolver with a exposed hammer in your pocket with a pocket holster and all the hammer accidentally brushes up against your pants pocket as your placing you firearmin your pocket the pocket slightly grabs the exposed hammer slip cocks it and slam the hammer hits the pin triggering the bullet to go off, I do not call that negligence.

SpizyChicken

imported post

Sounds like Negligence to me. Especially sense we are aware that is a very good possibility of happening if you stick a revolver into your nickers.
That's why I AVOID doing that and use a concealed holster instead.

See...