• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prices remain high on firearms! Where are the deals on guns and ammo?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to Greentop today to sendsomething back to the factory. I just scanned the pistols and I couldn't find a 1911 for under a grand (after tax). They looked like their collection of .45's had been hit hard. I went to dominion shooting range yesterday and they raised the prices on everything. I remember when Chip McCormick Power mags were $24.95, now they are 35 bucks.

I knew the prices on AR's and AK's were sky high, but I obviously haven't been paying enough attention to everything else. Dominion has raised prices on all their AR mags. They have a new shipment of Ar's in and they are high dollar.

Do you guys think this bubble is going burst like everything else. Are there still reasonable prices out there? I think I might just have to stick to the gun shows from here on.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
T Dubya wrote:
I think I might just have to stick to the gun shows from here on.

I bought some G23 mags at the gun show last month for $22, I think?

Saw them at one of the local gun stores for $35.

Everything is going up!
You can get G23 mags at Guns and Ammo Warehouse for the mid $20's now (if they still have any).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Prices may be up but everything is still cheaper today than it will be tomorrow!

IMO rapidly rising, extreme high prices are in effect a form of gun control. :(

The demand for parts and accessories is so high that most of the good stuff is either out of stock or back ordered. I have had 4 high cap AK mags on order since November and the distributor doesn't even expect them to be received until after the first of the year - worth waiting for these mags though.

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
IMO rapidly rising, extreme high prices are in effect a form of gun control. :(

SNIP...

BULLSEYE!!

That is the precise reason that anti rights people want permits, registration, and taxes on all aspects of firearms ownership. All of these things impose higher costs on firearms and shut down the market. After all once everyone agrees that a permit is ok, the fees can be raised almost at will until it really hurts.

I have been trying to alert people for some time that there is an entirely new area of fee structure comings to firearms. These new taxes and fees will be related to the toxic substances required to use a firearm. We are already seeing an increase in prices based on the price of metals used to make bullets. Next we will see an environmental toxins surcharge applied to those same bullets to offset the impact of actually shooting them. Of course that tax will be applied to buying the bullets, not actually shooting them.

Eventually only the government the rich will be able to afford firearms.

Regards

richarcm

imported post

If I had the money I would buy 1000's of dollars in ammo/mags and hold onto it for a little while. You may be able to make quite a return on them later on. Depending on how aggressive an Obama administration may be.....

Thndr

imported post

richarcm wrote:
If I had the money I would buy 1000's of dollars in ammo/mags and hold onto it for a little while. You may be able to make quite a return on them later on. Depending on how aggressive an Obama administration may be.....

But you see that is part of the problem are people trying to make a profit and not just being happy with what they have. That is why you see $30+ PMags and $300-$350 stripped lowers.

I have a fella I work with whom bought a lot of Pmags just to sell them for a profit at a ridiculous price IMHO but people paid it. While I do not agree with taking advantage of a situation like this(kinda like PS3, Wii thing around Christmas) if people are willing to pay then this will continue.

If you are buying for use or future use then great, but those buying to make profit are making it harder for alot of individuals to obtain some of these items that are wanting them to have for protection/use.

As far as businesses let them raise the prices if they must as some are feeling the pinch as well because they can't get supplies either and are going to feel it later. But just remember those that raised the prices out of greed IMH CheaperThanDirt is an example of what I am refereing to here.

Sorry for the rant just a Monday Vent....

Tomahawk

imported post

Thndr wrote:
richarcm wrote:

But you see that is part of the problem are people trying to make a profit and not just being happy with what they have. That is why you see $30+ PMags and $300-$350 stripped lowers.

I have a fella I work with whom bought a lot of Pmags just to sell them for a profit at a ridiculous price IMHO but people paid it. While I do not agree with taking advantage of a situation like this(kinda like PS3, Wii thing around Christmas) if people are willing to pay then this will continue.

If you are buying for use or future use then great, but those buying to make profit are making it harder for alot of individuals to obtain some of these items that are wanting them to have for protection/use.

As far as businesses let them raise the prices if they must as some are feeling the pinch as well because they can't get supplies either and are going to feel it later. But just remember those that raised the prices out of greed IMH CheaperThanDirt is an example of what I am refereing to here.

Sorry for the rant just a Monday Vent....

It's called "the law of supply and demand" and it comes along with the whole America/freedom thing. If you dislike it you could look to see how well they do without it in places like North Korea and Zimbabwe.

Or, you could manufacture your own mags and increase the supply, thus making a better life for yourself and your customers.

Thndr

imported post

Yes I understand that as well as the whole is there really such a thing as price gouging(sp?). My point was that unfortunately for a lot of people getting some of the parts/items they need has become an issue due to individuals buying as many parts/items as they can with the intent to make a profit, thus creating a shortage.

I was not trying to fault the being able to do this and I can see why some supply places have to as stated they too are having to deal with limited supply and having to sell at X price to keep there doors open as they do not know when they are going to be re-supplied.

Yes I also realize that if a ban goes into effect these prices will pale in comparison.

Again as I stated sorry for the Monday rant after talking with an individual this weekend/Holiday and then seeing the post this morning my fingers took off with out my brain. He wanted to buy an AR and was going to pay an outrageous price for a complete AR. After talking with him he is getting one from a local shop much cheaper than the price he was going to pay for the same unit over the net.

I just hate some people being taken advantage of who either don't know better or are easily steered into making poor decisions, as was the case here. While I do not know the overhead of the supplier on the net the dealer I know said he thought it was high as well.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Things sell for what people are willing to pay. If people really need something, they will pay more. If they do not do their homework, they will pay still more. You can't blame the seller for people who do not research.

Regards

hsmith

imported post

It is an economic law, price has nothing to do with how much something costs to produce. It has nothing to do with profit margins.

The only thing is what someone is willing to part for that object with and what someone is willing to buy that object for.

If I have a AR-15 lower that I think is worth $500, if you will pay $500.01, then we have a deal. But, if I think it is only worth $499.99, then we don't have a deal. We are both better off if either transaction does not happen, because it is voluntary.

Now, if Obama and Congress ends up banning AR-15's, then it is all a different story. It is like full auto firearms, that is NOT a free market. But, in some ways it is because people will buy and sell at prices they deem acceptable. But, the lack of new FA firearms makes it a false market.

Tomahawk

imported post

Nobody has a right to buy anything unless the seller agrees to sell it for the offerred price. You don't have a right to cheap guns, cheap gasoline, cheap ammo, or cheap anything. You do have a right to negotiate to get as cheap a price as possible, but it's wrong to use force, be it personal force or force of law, to get what you want. Mutual consent between buyer and seller is freedom; anything else (such as government interference via full auto bans) is BS.

I want to know why the politicians aren't trying to investigate us all for the low prices at the gas pump these days. Aren't we the public "gouging" the poor gas station owners?

essayons

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I went to Greentop today to sendsomething back to the factory. I just scanned the pistols and I couldn't find a 1911 for under a grand (after tax). They looked like their collection of .45's had been hit hard. I went to dominion shooting range yesterday and they raised the prices on everything. I remember when Chip McCormick Power mags were $24.95, now they are 35 bucks.

I knew the prices on AR's and AK's were sky high, but I obviously haven't been paying enough attention to everything else. Dominion has raised prices on all their AR mags. They have a new shipment of Ar's in and they are high dollar.

Do you guys think this bubble is going burst like everything else. Are there still reasonable prices out there? I think I might just have to stick to the gun shows from here on.

I was at Dominion about 2 weeks ago and they had a new shipment of DPMS M4gery's. They were going for the same price they have been selling them for the past 2 years. I've noticed a 15-30 dollar increase on lowers, but that is mainly because their suppliers have raised the prices. Dominion is one of the few shops that I've been to that hasn't engaged in serious price gouging on ARs.

richarcm

imported post

And yes there is some price gouging going on....but there are also some worried gun shop owners who do not know how much longer they will be in business. There are a lot of worried people including regular gun owners who are buying supplies in record quantities. There's a lot going on in the market and most all of it, from supply/demand, to the future uncertainty of the market...all equates to higher prices.

My point was that guns and ammo are like anything else....they can be bought for one price and sold for another. Thats just the way it is. The ***SMART**** thing to do assuming you have the money (I do not) is to realize how valuable that this stuff is going to be and either buy it now for your own use at a cheap price (relative to 2 years from now) and/or make a few bucks off of it. There's NOTHING wrong with investing and making money.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Start reloading :p
I knew zero about reloading. Makes me wish I had taken the class offered to hunter ed. instructors at some of the training sessions.

It is not as hard as people think. With many of the presses available today, if you can follow a recipe you can reload ammo.

Regards

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Dubya I bought a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II 2 weeks ago at A&P arms in Hampton for $840. I was in there tonight and they still had Kimbers and other 1911's for under a grand. They had a slightly used S&W Gunsite edition for $850.

There # is 757-896-3510. Good luck.

P.S. the kimber shoots great and is a great carry gun.

hsmith

imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
hsmith wrote:
Start reloading :p
I knew zero about reloading. Makes me wish I had taken the class offered to hunter ed. instructors at some of the training sessions.
If you can read, have the slightest bit of mechanical inclination, and can pay attention to detail you can reload - and reload safely.

Read the ABC's of Reloading and get a single stage (or if you want to spend the casha progressive) and start off on handgun rounds.

If you want someone who can help you I am sure there are plenty on this board that can!