• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minimum Age to OC in VA?

ainfantry7

imported post

What is the minimum age to open carry a handgun in Virginia?

At the age of 18 do Ihave to have written parental conscent?

Can an 18 year old OC a handgun that was obtained via private sale?

Time is of the essence, I'm home on leave, and only have a few days left.

Thanks,

ainfantry7

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ainfantry7 wrote:

Thanks,

ainfantry7
Search around this forum and you'll find several under-21 people who are OC'ing here in Virginia. Their stories may also be a help to you.

Thank you for your service to our nation, by the way.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ainfantry7 wrote:

Thanks,

ainfantry7
Oh are good to go in Virginia.

Many under 21 yo (age for a CHP) do OC as it is they only way they can carry and be legal. Private sale or gift, it is still yours and there is no proof of ownership required - no registration.

Thanks for your service - enjoy your time home.

Yata hey

ainfantry7

imported post

Thanks, I appreciate you getting back to me so fast. So are there any non OC friendly places in Roanoke? I know Valley View Mall, bars, post office, federal buildings, battered women's shelters, schools, some churches....any others?

nova

imported post

I just get someone 21+ to buy it for me. There's no such thing as a 'straw purchase' with ammo as there is with firearms. Or I order online. Legally I can buy 'pistol' ammo if it is for my carbine but not all places know that.

fcjags

imported post

you dont need an FFL dealer if you buy ammo online? alsoyou can buy a handgun at the gun show right? even though your not 21? sorry, only thing ive been buy were shotgun shells for my mossberg lol

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Cadet2leo wrote:
you dont need an FFL dealer if you buy ammo online? alsoyou can buy a handgun at the gun show right? even though your not 21? sorry, only thing ive been buy were shotgun shells for my mossberg lol
You can't buy a handgun at a gun show if you're buying from an FFL. Doesn't matter whether it's at a show or not, the laws are the same.

You can buy from a private party at a show or anywhere else, but not from an FFL.

nova

imported post

Cadet2leo wrote:
Since Tess already answered the gun show question, I'll answer the online ammo question. Though most online sites require you to send them a copy of your DL to verify age, others simply have a box you check certifying you're old enough to buy the ammo. Since I am old enough to buy that ammo for my carbine, I can check that box without lying. If I end up shooting that ammo out of my handguns instead after changing my mind, no laws were broken ;)

KBCraig

imported post

nova wrote:
All ammo retailers must hold the same license just as your local gun shop or wal-mart to sell ammo.
No license is required to sell ammo.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f11

(F11) Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition? [align=justify]No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed. [/align] [align=justify][18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)][/align][align=justify]
[/align]

nova

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
nova wrote:
All ammo retailers must hold the same license just as your local gun shop or wal-mart to sell ammo.
No license is required to sell ammo.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f11

(F11) Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition? [align=justify]No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed. [/align] [align=justify][18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)][/align][align=justify]
[/align]
I'll correct my previous post. Thanks for setting me straight. I shouldn't post when I haven't slept for 24+ hrs :lol: