• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hand guns for dummies

tn terry t

imported post

hey its me again gots me a question for ya. lets say i have a carry permit and the pistol im carring is not registered least not me. can i get in to deep pea soup over it? ive this little pistola for over twenty yrs that i traded some auto work for what you fellers think

Fallguy

imported post

There is no such thing as a "registered" firearm in TN.

With a carry permit you can carry any handgun(s) you legally own or posses

WCrawford

imported post

We need HUGE signs at all over the state to let people know that Tennessee does not have any gun registration.

If I had a dollar for every time I was asked while OCing in Nashville, I'd be rich. :)

tn terry t

imported post

im kinda lost here i remember about twenty fiveyrs ago my dad went to the local sporting store and bought a 22lr revolver they had him go to the county SO and register the gun and he put in my mothers name because he bought it for her. i do know this for a fact might have been different then. thats what im tring to figure out:?I have a good friend in cheatham co that is a deputy he has told me to "never ever " carry a registered gun just in case you need to ditch it. guys aint no way no how i'm saying your wrong so PLEASE dont think that. maybe i'm over thinking this stuff, like i said i'm a dummy when it comes to hand guns . i can hold my own when it comes to shotguns and rifles MANY MANY THANKS from a newbie dummy

Terry T

9mm Bersa

imported post

If There is no such thing as a "registered" firearm in TN. then why is it every time I buy a fire arm of any kind it gets registered along with the back ground check!

Fallguy

imported post

9mm Bersa wrote:
If There is no such thing as a "registered" firearm in TN. then why is it every time I buy a fire arm of any kind it gets registered along with the back ground check!

There is a record of the purchase from the dealer, that is the same in any state. The ATF is supposed to destroy the form sent to them after a certain amount of time. The dealer keeps his record, but if you sell it to a private individual, there is no record of that sale and and could be sold 15 more times.In some states there has to be a record of the private sale and/or the person that buys the gun has to register that gun as being theirs and in their home. We do not have to do the later in TN.

Now on the purchase 25 years ago, at that time the sheriff for the county you lived in had to sign off on the form for you to purchase a firearm. Could that have been what he did? All the sheriff was supposed to do is affirm the information you filed out was correct to his knowledge. Of course it is possible that he did record the information about the firearm, although I don't think he was supposed to.

But to answer your original question again you can carry any handgun or handguns you legally have.

T.C.A. 39-17-1351(n)(1)

Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

WCrawford

imported post

There is one exception to the registration of firearms, but it has nothing to do with Tennessee. Everyone owning a firearm or explosive device that falls under the NFA (fully automatics, sawed-off shotguns, and silencers to name some of the most common) must have that weapon registered with the BATF.

The only section of Tennessee Code that mentions registrations deals with these types of weapons.

http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll/tncode/11662/12084/123d6/12420?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_39-17-1302

39-17-1302 (b)(7) is the section.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I just realized the sugnificance of the title of this topic.

"Handguns for dummies" :question:

hmmmm...........:what:

Now, do we Reeeeeeallllly want dummiesto havehandguns?

I don't think so. :uhoh:

WCrawford

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

Depends on the usage of the word "dummy". If, as I think this case is, it is used as the "For Dummies" books, sure, why not. It's just another way to help people learn.

Remember, ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever. :D

tn terry t

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:

yep well i guessnot allof uswere born with a pistol in our hand

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tn terry t wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

None of us were.

I guess I better give up on a carreer in comedy. :banghead:

Fallguy

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
tn terry t wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

None of us were.

Only if your intention is to be funny.....:D

Sorry..couldn't help it. :lol:

tn terry t

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
tn terry t wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:

None of us were.

Only if your intention is to be funny.....:D

Sorry..couldn't help it. :lol:

im not much on the hand gun but i was born with a ole shotgun :D

you guys are something else hope you have a good new yeaR!