• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Common Calibers

TheWarrior

imported post

Hello all,

As I said in my intro thread, I'm new and am a novice. I own no firearm but that should be remedied soon hopefully.

I've been thinking lately about the weapons I might like to buy, and something has come up in my head that I'd like to bounce off ofall of you here. Is it a good, or even sensible, idea to purposely use firearms that are common calibers? (I'm also thinking of rifles, etc.) Ones that are easy to get ammo for, easy to get everything for. ...one of my big reasons behind this is--don't laugh--because, as a guy with survivalist tendencies, I'm thinking that if there were any big disaster or anything it would be alot easier to get more ammo if necessary (that is, if I even ran out in the first place) than if I used the obscurities?

Am I making sense? Again, don't shoot me...I told you I was a total novice.

The Warrior

KnightSG7

imported post

Just about everyone who carries is always thinking "what could I do if _______ happened.) Yours I personally think about all of the time, as I am survivalist as well.

The .22 allthough not very powerful, you can pretty much find ANYWHERE.

The 9mm, .40 cal, .45 cal, and the 357sig are in my opinion some of the most common rounds for handguns.

The .22 (again) the .223, .270, and the .308 are some of my favorite calibers for rifles. (still prefer my .50 but people call me crazy)

Brad Cowin

imported post

Must haves, IMO, are .22 and 12 gauge. From there probably a .357 revolver to be able to shoot .38 and .357. For a semi-auto handgun I'd say its a tossup between .45 and 9mm. Something in 7.62x39 (AK's) is always nice to have around. .223 and .308 would be next on the list, very common calibers and also used by military and police.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Brad Cowin wrote:
Must haves, IMO, are .22 and 12 gauge. From there probably a .357 revolver to be able to shoot .38 and .357. For a semi-auto handgun I'd say its a tossup between .45 and 9mm. Something in 7.62x39 (AK's) is always nice to have around. .223 and .308 would be next on the list, very common calibers and also used by military and police.
You've got a good list here. I would add the .44 Magnum and the .40S&W as loads to be considered to complete the picture.

Hcidem

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
Is it a good, or even sensible, idea to purposely use firearms that are common calibers? (I'm also thinking of rifles, etc.) Ones that are easy to get ammo for, easy to get everything for. ...one of my big reasons behind this is--don't laugh--because, as a guy with survivalist tendencies, I'm thinking that if there were any big disaster or anything it would be alot easier to get more ammo if necessary (that is, if I even ran out in the first place) than if I used the obscurities?

Am I making sense? Again, don't shoot me...I told you I was a total novice.
I have been an active long-gun hunter for over 30 years, but am inmy first year of owning a pistol. I had some of the same thoughts you expressed in your posting, and actually implemented some of them in selecting my first pistol. I think you make total sense from the point of view you expressed.

After researching stopping-power, prevailing availability, affordability, etc., I settled on a 9mm pistol. I would not be surprised if someone else might use a basically identical thought process, and select a different caliber. This is just what seemed proper to me for my first pistol.

I selected a .22 caliber as a second pistol, and have purchased reloading equipment to accommodate my 9mm needs.

One of the resources I used was Backwoods Home website. I was led to this website when I was searching for articles by Masaad Ayoob. I enjoyed his particular insight, and found several of his articles at Backwoods Home.

One of their other writers pointed-out that pistols and long guns could be found in both 9mm and .22 calibers. Although this was not my deciding factor, I will remember this tidbit if I ever have any use of it.

Take your time selecting your first pistol, and have some fun doing it. Oh...and welcome to OCDO, TheWarrior.

http://backwoodshome.com/

TheWarrior

imported post

Thanks guys!

Okay. So at least I know I'm not crazy. :D It's just something that occured to me out of nowhere sort of...glad I'm not the only one. :p

TheWarrior

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Next you will be looking to get multiple guns of the same caliber such as a .45LC Pistol AND Rifle!:lol:
...with interchangeable ammo? No...seriously? Am I that much ofa shooting dunce?

marine77

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Next you will be looking to get multiple guns of the same caliber such as a .45LC Pistol AND Rifle!:lol:
I've done it. I havea glock 17 9mm and a Marlin Model9 that shoots the same.

Gordie

imported post

TheWarrior wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:
...with interchangeable ammo? No...seriously? Am I that much ofa shooting dunce?

Yes, but that's OK because you are open minded and willing to learn. We all had to start somewhere.:D I didn't start becoming familiar with guns until I was about 30.

You can find 9mm ARs fairly easy as well.

Many of the old lever guns werechambered for the purpose of reducing the demand on what kind of ammo would be required to be carried by someone on the move, like a cowboy. Reproductions are still made.

Puma is one brand that can be had in .38/.357mag, 44mag, .45LC, .454 Casull, and .480 Ruger, most between $400 and $550.

There are also pump guns out there. Taurus make a reproduction that can be had in .38/.357mag and .45LC, called the Thunderbolt which you can get for $500 to $650.

There are tons of pistol caliber carbines outthere fromseveral different manufacturers. Some are no longer in production, but still easy to find if you know what to look for.

I would advise you to check with the laws in California because some of these hold more than 10 rounds. I am not familiar enough with California laws and their views of what exactly constitutes a high cap assault rifle. Iwould hate for youto get busted for having an illegal lever action assault rifle.:shock:

Legba

imported post

I like to have at least 2 guns for each ammo type. In case one becomes non-functional, I'm not saddled with useless ammo. It's usually more economical than fitting out lots of different and/or "exotic" calibers also.

-ljp

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I began my acquisition list with the most common calibers. Unless one has special needs for a certain caliber or type firearm, it makes sense to me to do so. If there ever really is a SHTF situation, ammo availability could be an issue. As to the commonality of the specific firearm, of that I am not so concerned.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I really want a 45/70 GOVT lever, but am consigning myself to a 45LC to match the revolver....
And I need to stock up on 25-06 ammo as that is a less common caliber that I just have a soft spot for....
As was mentioned: 12ga and .22 are a must, then pick a common caliber pistol (such as .45acp or 9mm) and common caliber rifle (such as .308 or .223) for a decent 'base' collection.
When you get more into 'matched pairs' for pistol/rifle combos, might I also suggest you look into the FN 5.7 pistol/tactical rifle The pistol comes standard with 2 20rd mags and the rifle holds 50!!! Oh, wait, did someone mention that you are in California? Yeah, check your laws, they are funny over there...

TheWarrior

imported post

Gordie wrote:
TheWarrior wrote:
Gator5713 wrote:

Yes, but that's OK because you are open minded and willing to learn. We all had to start somewhere.:D I didn't start becoming familiar with guns until I was about 30.

If we had signatures on this forum, I'd put "I know nothing about guns, but came here to learn, so don't bust me one, k?"

Well, I guess you're right...gotta start somewhere, right? California is interesting, or at least my area, in that everywhere you go I get friction about my interest in guns. I brought a gun magazine to work, just to read on my breaks, and everyone that saw it said something or other...it was as if I brought a gun itself in there. :(

Anyhow, I'm glad to see so many feel the same way I do. And with interchangeable ammunition...ah, even more economical. :D

tju1973

imported post

Ok, I am too lazy to read al the others, so this may already have been posted--

For price and availabilty, I would choose the following--

Automatic-- 9mm

Revolver-- .38spl (although I would buy a .357Mag as it could use both .357Mag and .38spl)

Rifle-- .223 or 7.62X39

Also, ALWAYS have a .22lr-- the good thing is that it is cheap and some rifles like my Rossi Model 62 can shoot .22lr/s/l

Many lever action rifles are also dual caliber-- ie .44Mags can shoot .44spl, .357mags can also shoot .38s-- so your mileage is better on weapons like these.

9mm is cheap, decent for self/home defense and can be found in carbine length weapons-- ie Hi-Point, Beretta, Ruger, Kel-Tec to get more out of the 9mm. On that subjetc, pick your pistol carfully, and you can get a carbine to not only share ammo, but magazines as well Beretta, Ruger, and Kel Tec do this.

Me, I tend to get a bunch of calibers, but I stick to 2 or 3 as "mains" and stock up on ammo--

I have a good supply of .45ACP, 9mm, .380ACP, a, 7.62X39

FInally I forgot to mention my reference to 9mm is for 9X19 -ie 9mm Luger/Parabellum-- there are a whole slew of 9mm rounds that are more obscure (at least in the US)-- ie 9X18 Makarov, 9x23 Largo, 9X23 Winchester, 9x21 IMI, and even some refer to .380ACP as 9x17 or 9mm Kurtz (short)...

Research and try out multiple calibers-- Even though I am not big on .357 Sig, and .45 GAP, it has nothing to due with them being a good round-- more so that they are sometimes (always) pricey and harder to find around here. I do like 10mm-- but can't afford a pistol in one right now.

I would say for the most economical "bang for buck", I would get a 9mm pistol-- probably a Glock or Beretta- -then get a carbine that takes the same mags..a Beretta Storm or a Kelt Tec Sub 2000-- but research and actually handleing and shooting are the only way to find out what is bestfor you--

Good luck!

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

Is there anyone familiar with the following weapon:

HI POINT FIREARMS (MKS) Model CF380 Semi Automatic Pistol - Hi Point 8 + 1 Round 380 ACP w/Black Finish

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83295

Whatever information you can give pertaining to the jam rate, recoil, quality, etc. will be great. Thanks in advance!

2nd Amendment.......Use it........Or, lose it!!:X

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
Is there anyone familiar with the following weapon:

HI POINT FIREARMS (MKS) Model CF380 Semi Automatic Pistol - Hi Point 8 + 1 Round 380 ACP w/Black Finish

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=83295

Whatever information you can give pertaining to the jam rate, recoil, quality, etc. will be great. Thanks in advance!

2nd Amendment.......Use it........Or, lose it!!:X
Check out this thread that is all about HiPoint!
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/19710.html

Dustin

imported post

I just wrote an e-mail to my friend who doesn't own any firearms either. he was looking for my two suggestion on a shotgun or rifle.

So I'll just copy/paste that for you.

Ok Here are my Two Suggestions;

For a Rifle;

Ruger 10/22 Semi-Auto with 10x32 Tasco Scope
Gun ranked #12 on Field and Streams "50 best Weapons ever Made"
Price Range - $215 for Stock model, $360 for Target model, or higher for custom work.
(This gun is COMPLETELY versatile, Lots of Custom work can be done.)

Ammo - $13 for 550 Rounds

10 round Mag Capacity or 30 round Banana Mag.

This rifle is the MOST popular 22 lr. in the nation for the last 40 years. I have personaly put over 10,000 ROUNDS thru mine, and it eats any kind of ammo I put in it. Just last weekend for Christmas we bought all our guns. I haven't touched the scope on myRuger in10 years or so. I put 10 rounds, INSIDE a Quarter sized bullseye at 25 m. There were only TWO holes in the bullseye. All ten rounds went thru those two holes. I've had the gun over 15 years now, and I hear the latest ones are even better, although I can't imagine how. Mine has worked flawlessly. It has had a few FTF, but to be expected after 10,000 rounds. Mine also looks just like the one below, but with the 4x32 Tasco mounted with OVER/UNDER sights.

img-resized.png
Reduced: 86% of original size [ 590 x 300] - Click to view full image
13L.jpg

762243.jpg

10/22 Target with Bull Barrel

img-resized.png
Reduced: 96% of original size [ 533 x 118] - Click to view full image
70286.jpg

Here is some others with add-on packages;
1022usst.jpg

378L.jpg

CHARGER.jpg

CE1022.jpg

img-resized.png
Reduced: 51% of original size [ 1000 x 337] - Click to view full image
ruger10-22-1a.jpg

Ruger_10:22_200704_a.JPG

All of these can be purchased like this too. Your best bet is to just buy a Stock Ruger from Walmart, and as you get some cash, start buying accessories. Mine is actually the same as when my Dad gave it to me for Christmas in 92'. Same with my brothers too.

Now for the Shotgun;

Remington 870 Express Pump.
Gun ranked #10 on Field and Streams "50 best Weapons ever Made"
Price Range - $300 to $350

I have the 20 Ga. 870, and I've had it also for over 15 years. I've used it in 100 degree Louisiana Hot summers killing doves, and used it in the winter while hunting ducks. I've dropped it in the water MANY times, I've run over it with my three wheeler in the mid 90's. I've had ICE on the ejector and barrel and it still fired. This gun has NEVER failed to fire on me once in the 15 years I've owned it. I'll never hunt with anything else but a Remington.

10.jpg

The Link to the 50 best weapons ever made - http://www.fieldandstream.com/article_gall...ns-Ever-Made/10

Change the number on the end 1 thru 50 to see it quickly, or just use the arrows on the page.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

tju1973 wrote:
Ok, I am too lazy to read al the others, so this may already have been posted--
First... There was some good info in your post, basically looked like a compilation of a number of posts that were already here with some clarification, so no problems with your actual post, however...

Most of the best threads on this forum go on for multiple pages and can get very cumbersome to read all the way through and therefore good skimming skills are required, on a thread such as this, the posts are for the most part short and very manageable and it is still only one page!
If you can't manage to get through that, I question your ability for many things that require discipline and thoroughness...
Keeping yourself informed keeps you from looking like an idiot, and looking like an idiot or repeating the same things that have been posted multiple times on a thread will likely get you flamed, I suggest you get over your laziness and "RATS" (Read All The Screen)!