• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New gun owner w/ a few carry questions

jbeck

imported post

Hello to everyone. Let me say first that this is my first post on any forum really under any subject. No, I am not 10!:D I read them frequently but have never seen them to be usefull until myboyfriend began showing me the ones he is a member of. So props to you guys for having a user friendly and beneficial forum!!!

Now, to get on with my questions: (1) Can an un-licensed but eligible to be licensed person who is not listed on the registration/insurance of a vehicle still carry in said vehicle when given express permission by the vehicle's owner? Real life example: My boyfriend holds the loan on the car that I primarily drive. We live together. However, it is registered and insured under his name. So in all technicality, it is his. Would it be considered an extension of my home, or does it fall under the statute that a non-licensed person cannot carry in another person's car? (2) If attending specific school functions (i.e. our daughter's concert) can a licensed carrier still bear arms at school? I know my boyfriend can drop/pick up our daughter, but what about being there for a different specific purpose? What if he would be leaving with our daughter after said event?

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on the subject. And thanks for fighting for our rights!

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the board!

I'm not familiar with Georgia vehicle carry, so I'll let another member answer your questions.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy the OCDO community.

minidreamin

imported post

I can't offer much help on the first one. That'd be a gray area of the law. I'd highly recommend getting your Georgia Firearms License so that you know you'd be legal.

As for the second question...you would be breaking the law to carry you firearm in the car to a school function. the law states that you can carry while picking up / dropping off a student. Anything beyond that is illegal.

To learn more about Georgia firearm laws, check out a couple of links. http://www.georgiacarry.org/ They are a grassroots organization to help protect our rights in Georgia. Also check http://georgiapacking.org/forum/ There are a lot of fine people with great information.

Welcome to our little corner of the internet. :)

Samuel Adams

imported post

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126
Carrying a concealed weapon

(a)A person commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon when such person knowingly has or carries about his or her person, unless in an open manner and fully exposed to view, any bludgeon, knuckles whether made from metal, thermoplastic, wood, or other similar material, firearm, knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character outside of his or her home or place of business, except as permitted under this Code section.

(b)Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a concealed weapon, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1)For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2)For the second offense, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

(c)This Code section shall not permit, outside of his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business, the concealed carrying of a pistol, revolver, or concealable firearm by any person unless that person has on his or her person a valid license issued under Code Section 16-11-129 and the pistol, revolver, or firearm may only be carried in a shoulder holster, waist belt holster, any other holster, hipgrip, or any other similar device, in which event the weapon may be concealed by the person's clothing, or a handbag, purse, attache case, briefcase, or other closed container. Any person having been issued a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129 shall be permitted to carry such weapon, subject to the limitations of this part, in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas as defined by Code Section 12-3-10 and in all wildlife management areas.

(d)This Code section shall not forbid the transportation of any firearm by a person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129, provided the firearm is enclosed in a case, unloaded, and separated from its ammunition.

(e)This Code section shall not forbid any person who is not among those enumerated as ineligible for a license under Code Section 16-11-129 from transporting a loaded firearm in any private passenger motor vehicle.

(f)On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=126

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

jbeck wrote:
(2) If attending specific school functions (i.e. our daughter's concert) can a licensed carrier still bear arms at school? I know my boyfriend can drop/pick up our daughter, but what about being there for a different specific purpose? What if he would be leaving with our daughter after said event?

No, it would be a felony, punishable by 10 years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

Please see the Mom arrested thread for more info:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22512