• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should we be contacting Police/Sheriff Agencies?

Window_Seat

imported post

I am all for LOC where it is legal, but my attitude about UOC is that what good is a FA if it's not loaded and chambered?

That said, I am seriously tempted to contact my local PD via email and sending them This Link from OC.net and/or This Link from CG.net, just to make sure they are aware & educated on this step in the right direction. Is this a good idea, or should we wait until they "educate themselves" because of their lack of trust from LACs?

Erik.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I think they are going to disregard most anything we put together. The real victory in educating LE is the CPOA memo that went out recently.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to send them a copy of that memo, just to make sure they got it...

I don't think any harm could come of sending them any info, except to out yourself as one of "us" and possibly making yourself a target of 'special treatment.'

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
I think they are going to disregard most anything we put together. The real victory in educating LE is the CPOA memo that went out recently.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to send them a copy of that memo, just to make sure they got it...

I don't think any harm could come of sending them any info, except to out yourself as one of "us" and possibly making yourself a target of 'special treatment.'

Agreed.

In most instances, unsolicited information from citizens is apt to be roundfiled. Rest assured, this movement is gaining ground. As a target of "special treatment", I would say the best advice is to let the legal department of your local law enforcement do the education- that is, unless there are reasons to litigate...

cato

imported post

The word is out. Police Management is viewing OCDO and Calguns.net and more and more training memos have been issued about UOC. Whether or not it will translate down to lawful action or no action and respect for the Right toKeep and Bearby patrol elements is yet to be seen. The ball is rolling.

I expect we'll see the Legislature attempt some kind of OC ban or redefinition of loaded in the next year but they are certainly preoccupied with the budget. The more restrictions they place on OC the weaker their defense against 2nd A. federal suits will become.

ChickenFarmer

imported post

I believe they tried to push something through this year, but the Gov vetoed it.

I forget which one.
cato wrote:
The word is out. Police Management is viewing OCDO and Calguns.net and more and more training memos have been issued about UOC. Whether or not it will translate down to lawful action or no action and respect for the Right toKeep and Bearby patrol elements is yet to be seen. The ball is rolling.

I expect we'll see the Legislature attempt some kind of OC ban or redefinition of loaded in the next year but they are certainly preoccupied with the budget. The more restrictions they place on OC the weaker their defense against 2nd A. federal suits will become.

BSProof

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

Agreed.

In most instances, unsolicited information from citizens is apt to be roundfiled. Rest assured, this movement is gaining ground. As a target of "special treatment", I would say the best advice is to let the legal department of your local law enforcement do the education- that is, unless there are reasons to litigate...
Isn't everyone presumed to know the law? And isn't ignorance of the law no excuse? Don't we hear that all the time? I believe it to be an absurdity to "educate" law enforcement. How ridiculous does that sound? (Not an attack on the question with respect to the thread.) But, I think this SCOTUS statement sums it up.

Take the case of a local officer who persists in enforcing a type of ordinance which the Court has held invalid as violative of the guarantees of free speech or freedom of worship. Or a local official continues to select juries in manner which flies in the teeth of decisions of the Court. If those acts are done willfully, how can the officer possibly claim that he had no fair warning that his acts were prohibited by the statute? He violates the statute not merely because he has a bad purpose but because he acts in defiance of announced rules of law. He who defies a [325 U.S. 91, 105] decision interpreting the Constitution knows precisely what he is doing. If sane, he hardly may be heard to say that he knew not what he did. Of course, willful conduct cannot make definite that which is undefined. But willful violators of constitutional requirements, which have been defined, certainly are in no position to say that they had no adequate advance notice that they would be visited with punishment. When they act willfully in the sense in which we use the word, they act in open defiance or in reckless disregard of a constitutional requirement which has been made specific and definite. When they are convicted for so acting, they are not punished for violating an unknowable something.
SCREWS v. U.S., 325 U.S. 91 (1945)