• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC in Colorado

Vfrider1

imported post

Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for quite some time now and I have certainly been enlightened on open carry. I was frustrated that when I took a CC course and open carry was only briefly mentioned and was discouraged. Granted CC is easier to accomplish and avoids confrontations, but I'm like minded with all of you that I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to arm myself like you have to do with CC. I now have to get a Colorado CC permit because my Utah CC is no longer valid. (another 150 bucks) I have yet to take the plunge and OC outside of my home. I can't help but feel like a criminal or "gun nut" when I contemplate it. How long did you all struggle with these feelings if at all? I am an E-8 in the USAF and was on the pistol team for a number of years so the actual handling of the weapon isn't what's bothering me, it's the public and LEO perceptions. I don't want to put my family through these confrontations if they occur, I guess I'm just sitting on the fence right now. I think I need therapy or something!

On a side note I am carrying a new XD-45 tactical in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I had a Fobus holster before and the Serpa is so much nicer. I love the solid "click" when I holster the XD. Does anyone have a proceedure for getting this darn paddle holster off of your pants?... Jeez I have no worries about retention with this holster! I think I will try the belt loop mount when my new belt arrives...

By the way I am looking for any recommendations for a good hand gun course to take, Defensive shooting, handling, etc.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

As a former resident of Colorado let me welcome you to OCDO! :celebrate

The SERPA can be a real pain to remove, but it was designed that way. I broke a paddle once after flexing it a thousand times for removal. Blackhawk promptly sent me a new one. Now I just remove my belt first before taking it off.

Besides, you should only have to remove it to change your pants! :p

FogRider

imported post

Hello, and welcome to the boards! I'm sure you are still nervous, I know I was. The only cure I know of is to just OC. You say you have a cwp, so that should help you adjust as you can OC for a little while then cover up if you start feeling to jittery. What you'll find will happen is your nervousness will not so mucj go away as it will simply turn into hightened situational awareness.

I also carry with a Serpa paddle, and I've found the easiest method of removeing it is to just use both hands, off side hand inside to pull the paddle open, and just work the hooks off the jeans.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Welcome aboard Vf!!!
As the advertisement for Nike sez: JUST DO IT

As far as the serpa paddle, it sits in my footlocker. I use the belt loops on the holster instead.

bcbrown2

imported post

2x to ditching the paddle and going with the belt loops. It can be pulled out along with your handgun and you'll answer the question of how to remove it :shock: before you know it. Like you, I like the retention of my SERPAs and at first I wore it with the paddle and, like you, I had a VERY difficult time figuring out how to disengage all the little hooks and pins which keep it on your waist -- until I did my CCW course and was working on drawing from the holster. Sure enough... the first time I missed the lock release I had half of my SERPA out of my pants and felt a bit foolish. When I came back for intermediate training the following day I was securely attached to my belt. It's an extra 30 seconds out of my day and if I'm going to be wearing a gun I'm going to be wearing a holster which means a belt of some sort. Just my $.02

Colorado (at least Northern Colorado) is seemingly a gun-friendly state -- although we don't really advertise ourselves as such.. If traveling through Denver or Boulder you may run into more of the "anti" crowd than elsewhere but if you decide to carry and don't advertise that you're carrying you should be fine. Again, just my $.02 but the only one that NEEDS to know I'm carrying are me and my wife. If I'm carrying open and you don't see it, not my problem and it'll likely insure a more pleasant day for all. Most folks -- especially in the light of a recent murder near Boulder -- around here may be more inclined to call the cops and less inclined to engage you in conversation if they see you carrying.