• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Yes, I think we're all on the same page. I can't find anything against it that is not conservation law. Everything I've found is from a Nat'l Resources and Env'l Protection act, and should not apply to a situation that has nothing to do with hunting. That is not to say they would not use that against him, whether it would be legal for them to do so, or not.

ETA: nice to think about, but to what practical purpose?

conservative85

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Not a great debater and sometimes have difficulty expressing ideas, but I really do think that conservitave85, Taurus850cia, ghostrider and I want the the same goals on this issue.springerdave.
I took it as a whimsical discussion on the fantasy of OC of a long arm.

You can OC a fixed blade also, but that doesn't mean I'm doing it. At least, not outside of hunting season.:)
I wear a 5" blade w/leather sheathbuck knifestyleeveryday that is a handy dandy tool

ghostrider

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
springerdave wrote:
Not a great debater and sometimes have difficulty expressing ideas, but I really do think that conservitave85, Taurus850cia, ghostrider and I want the the same goals on this issue.springerdave.
I took it as a whimsical discussion on the fantasy of OC of a long arm.

You can OC a fixed blade also, but that doesn't mean I'm doing it. At least, not outside of hunting season.:)
I wear a 5" blade w/leather sheathbuck knifestyleeveryday that is a handy dandy tool
Due to squirrel season, I've lately been carrying a Mora 2000 (would love to have the orange one:D). I know some people EDC a OC FB, I just prefer a pocket folder to a long knife flapping about my hip. Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just a personal preference.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

pmcqueen37 wrote:
WARCHILD wrote:
To quote a most famous line...."Only a pimp in a whore house wears pearl handles"...they are ivory.

George S. Patton ??

"Patton took violent offense at any reference to his pistols being pearl[/b] handled. He said, "Only[/b] a pimp[/b] in a New Orleans whorehouse or a tin-horn gambler would carry a pearl[/b]-handled pistol." In no uncertain terms he would have the offender know that his revolver was indeed "IVORY-GOD-FXXXING-DAMN-HANDLED" and with that he would turn on his heel and leave."

Michigander

imported post

Since being in Arizona, I have come to think that long gun OC is quite important, even though I will always think it suffers deficiencies compared to handgun OC. It's still a politically shaky issue, and we really don't want to piss off the legislators since we are still a small minority. But, I think it's a good idea to break the ice on long gun OC as a group, in as politically neutral of an area as possible. From there we can keep taking baby steps as we see fit. As far as I'm concerned, we haven't done our job properly until every cop in Michigan will leave alone a guy walking down the street with a long arm.

So, I invite anyone interested to OC a rifle or shotgun with me at the Grayling event. Even if the cops don't quite get it, the people of Grayling seem very pro gun, so I think it's a suitable location to give it a go.

conservative85

imported post

"So, I invite anyone interested to OC a rifle or shotgun with me at the Grayling event. Even if the cops don't quite get it, the people of Grayling seem very pro gun, so I think it's a suitable location to give it a go".

I am for long gun carry, I agree it is just as important, but I would never carry a long gun into a populated city, I meant it more as a rural area type sitcheation! Maybe after awhile when pistol oc is common then maybe I will try for small rural cities, but I don't think I'd ever do like Detroit, or Chicago.

Michigander

imported post

I've seen it done in Phoenix. It really isn't a big deal. If you guys aren't comfortable with it yet, I think we should wait, but still consider it something to do in the future.

For clarification, I am not talking about taking long guns into restaurants, or even big stores. They would get in the way when you are trying to make your way through a store, and where would you set them down when you go somewhere to eat? I do however think that a 2 mile or so walk with slung rifles or shotguns, in a somewhat populated yet gun friendly area, could be a good way to start off long gun OC.

I understand being apprehensive about the idea, I remember how I felt the first time I OC'd. It's kind of like starting fresh from the beginning, but not really. Most cops who are smart enough to understand that it's legal to OC a pistol will be able to make the connection to a long arm. It's the last bit of territory left uncharted for us.

It is kind of strange, when you think about it. Anti gun people try and say that no one needs a handgun, yet at least theoretically, they would prefer we carry handguns in place of rifles.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Too many irons in the fire.

Bitting off more than you can chew.

Start a job, finnish the job.

I'm already fighting one fight, I don't need another. I haven't the time for both.
+1
I think that's the basic consensus, at least for now...

Taurus850CIA

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Too many irons in the fire.

Bitting off more than you can chew.

Start a job, finnish the job.

I'm already fighting one fight, I don't need another. I haven't the time for both.
Is that supposed to be a pun?

Michigander

imported post

If you guys aren't interested, I certainly don't mind. I was one of 3 people who had the nerve to OC at the first meeting. I fully understand being reluctant. However, I do please ask that everyone make it clear that OC of ANY type of gun is legal when educating people. The law makes no distinction between the 2, only that AG opinion. In reality, long arm OC is even easier to legally do because there aren't those stupid rules about where you can transport to. Additionally, if someone under 21 can't find a private seller, it might be their only option.

I also ask that if anyone else is interested in stepping up to the plate, please let me know. If we can have so much as 3 people total in a semi rural area, I'd feel comfortable calling that a group effort. I just really think we should gently break the ice, and take baby steps where and when we see fit.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
If you guys aren't interested, I certainly don't mind. I was one of 3 people who had the nerve to OC at the first meeting. I fully understand being reluctant. However, I do please ask that everyone make it clear that OC of ANY type of gun is legal when educating people. The law makes no distinction between the 2, only that AG opinion. In reality, long arm OC is even easier to legally do because there aren't those stupid rules about where you can transport to. Additionally, if someone under 21 can't find a private seller, it might be their only option.

I also ask that if anyone else is interested in stepping up to the plate, please let me know. If we can have so much as 3 people total in a semi rural area, I'd feel comfortable calling that a group effort. I just really think we should gently break the ice, and take baby steps where and when we see fit.
I might have missed or forgotten. What AG opinion?

Michigander

imported post

The one that says that a holstered pistol isn't being brandished. That is the only legalish difference between the 2, and it isn't even really law. Just an AG opinion.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
The one that says that a holstered pistol isn't being brandished. That is the only legalish difference between the 2, and it isn't even really law. Just an AG opinion.
Bells are starting to ring. Is that the one were they use a Reserve sheriff as an example?

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I just reread the opinion (#7101).

I take it your referring to the fact that it only addresses a holstered handgun, but in no way mentions a rifle.

I think I understand now. 7101 makes clear that a holstered handgun is not brandishing, but does not make it so definite for a slung long gun because it isn't mentioned specifically.

I hadn't paid much notice to that because I thought it less important than the following.

MI AG Opinion 7101 wrote:
In the absence of any reported Michigan appellate court decisions defining "brandishing," it is appropriate to rely upon dictionary definitions. People v Denio, 454 Mich 691, 699; 564 NW2d 13 (1997). According to The American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition (1982), at p 204, the term brandishing is defined as: "1. To wave or flourish menacingly, as a weapon. 2. To display ostentatiously. –n. A menacing or defiant wave or flourish." This definition comports with the meaning ascribed to this term by courts of other jurisdictions. For example, in United States v Moerman, 233 F3d 379, 380 (CA 6, 2000), the court recognized that in federal sentencing guidelines, "brandishing" a weapon is defined to mean "that the weapon was pointed or waved about, or displayed in a threatening manner."
Emphasis mine. http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10176.htm

I can see how some overzealous prosecutor might construe it to be differentiating between the two, but I just never thought of it that way.

Hcidem

imported post

I would also think that any defensive attorney worth his salt could talk a judge into dismissing charges on a slung long gun. Although this might take some convincing in urban areas (with no constitutional basis for such prohibition, we should understand).