• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a voice recorder

Window_Seat

imported post

I'm looking at voice recorders, and while I might use it for LEO contacts when I begin to UOC (or LOC if/when it passes), I would also like to be able to use it for other situations. Here is what I'm going to be looking for:

A VR that "instantly" plays back anything I record. For example, I see a model number on a store item that I like, and I say it into the VR, and then head to the manager to ask about the price of "this model number".

I'm not concerned with "hours of recording time", although it might not be a bad thing to have as much as today's VR has.

Sound quality isn't a big issue, but if I need to post something on the web, I want to have "some" SQ.

Other ideas appreciated as I am quite new to the VR thing.

Here is one I have been eying for a few days, but I'm particularly concerned about whether I can instantly playback something that I recorded.

Sony ICD UX80:

20778510190.jpg

Erik.

FoGKeebler

imported post

I recently decided i was going to get a VR as well after reading all the posts here on its usefulness. It was after about 2 hours of shopping around i remembered i didn't need one.

I have 1 of the many cell phones on the market that use the Windows Mobile operating system for its functions. The cell phone is an AT&T Tilt and is manufactured by HTC. The Windows Mobile OS comes with a voice recorder software package pre-installed. All i did was map PTT button on the phone to that piece of software for easy acces to record. I already had a Mini SD card in my phone for my ring tones so i had plenty of space to save lots of voice recordings. A plus to this is it saves the recordings in .WAV format which is easily played back on any PC or the phone itself.

So to all those out there looking into getting a VR, check your cell phone as it may already be capable of doing it and saving yourself range fees or ammunition. :lol:

Mississippian

imported post

Can you make a phone call while not interrupting the recording?

My cell also records, but there are two reasons I went with a voice recorder, #1 is mentioned above, #2 is many times the police will remove whatever they find on your belt and in your pockets while detaining you.

My DVR hangs around my neck by a long lanyard, extremely hard to spot.