Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Any law against OC airsoft guns??

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Any law against OC airsoft guns??

    Is there anything illegal about this?? How about Legal OC with a blaze orange tip on your gun?? If there is no law against it, this might be a way to desensitizes LEO & the general public. Operation Wolfie. Cops get enough calls about a man with a gun they will stop showing up? That may be the way to go on OC events, send small groups all over town on a day there are few LEO on duty. They sure as hell are not going to that call all alone. Just flat wear out a small towns man power.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lamma Island, HK
    Posts
    964

    Post imported post

    woodey wrote:
    Any law against OC airsoft guns??

    Is there anything illegal about this?? How about Legal OC with a blaze orange tip on your gun?? If there is no law against it, this might be a way to desensitizes LEO & the general public. Operation Wolfie. Cops get enough calls about a man with a gun they will stop showing up? That may be the way to go on OC events, send small groups all over town on a day there are few LEO on duty. They sure as hell are not going to that call all alone. Just flat wear out a small towns man power.
    From my understanding the law is actually more strict in regards to carrying of such items. I will have to find it, but since the state law doesn't regulate it can vary by location and each city can make any law they want.

    IANAL, but that is my understanding. I would find code to back me up, but I have my own legal issues right now.

  3. #3
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    I believe anything that fires a projectile falls under 12031. I don't have time to look it up, but I remember reading a long list that included any projectile coming out of a tube or barrel. I think they even say by air pressure. If nobody else posts it, I'll look it up tonight.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  4. #4
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,748

    Post imported post

    Yeah, you're right CA_Libertarian.

    12001(g) For purposes of Sections 12551 and 12552, the term "BB device"
    means any instrument that expels a projectile, such as a BB or a
    pellet, not exceeding 6mm caliber, through the force of air pressure,
    gas pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun.

    Then there is this clearly laid out law that would prohibit OC of an airsoft gun:

    12556. (a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation
    firearm, as defined in Section 12550, in a public place.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Thanks, I was looking for that. I should have remembered the phrase "imitation firearm".

    Woodey, I think your best bet if you want to do this is carry one of these in the appropriate holster.

    California Penal Code Section 12556

    (a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation
    firearm, as defined in Section 12550, in a public place.
    (b) Violation of this section, except as provided in subdivision
    (c), is an infraction punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars
    ($100) for the first offense, and three hundred dollars ($300) for a
    second offense.
    (c) A third or subsequent violation of this section is punishable
    as a misdemeanor.
    (d) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to the following, when the
    imitation firearm is:

    ...
    (13) A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is
    white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright
    blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the
    predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or
    where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent
    materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device's
    complete contents. Merely having an orange tip as provided in
    federal law and regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The
    entire surface must be colored or transparent or translucent.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    OK, sounds good. How how about paiting some guns Hot Pink. Is there any thing against the law in painting your weapon in a "bright" color? What I am getting after is, If the police can not tell by a drive by if the gun is real or not & looks more not than real. At some point in time they will get tired of checking. Carry a blaze orange around for a month or two then replace it with your blaze orange Glock

  7. #7
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    I believe anything that fires a projectile falls under 12031. I don't have time to look it up, but I remember reading a long list that included any projectile coming out of a tube or barrel. I think they even say by air pressure. If nobody else posts it, I'll look it up tonight.
    OK; looked through 12031, and I was wrong. There is nothing I can find in 12031 that would prohibit having a 'loaded' air gun in a public place.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    It's still going to be in violation of 12556, unless he gets one like this:

    http://www.geniestuff.co.uk/transpar...lear-m5906.htm

    (see bold above)

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Why not blaze orange?? Or bright color as stated in the law above?

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    Well, sure, but the only airsoft guns that I knew of off the top of my head that would comply are translucent. If you can find an airsoft gun in bright pink it will comply. :P

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Ever heard of spray paint?

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    No, why, whatever is that? :shock:

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    Well, some time when you have some extra time come on up to the wine country. We'll have a glass or two or a beer & I'll tell ya all about it

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487

    Post imported post

    woodey wrote:
    Well, some time when you have some extra time come on up to the wine country. We'll have a glass or two or a beer & I'll tell ya all about it
    lol, sounds good. I look forward to new discovery!

  15. #15
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    I'm growing a little weary of the revistation of the idea of carrying "airsoft" weapons. I am grateful however, that in my absence, some of you have already addressed the issue and responded correctly.

    In my view, there are no practical applications for carrying an imitation firearm or any toy resembling a firearm in the cause of restoring armed liberty.

    I realize new people will continue to forward this notion, however it is prudent to consider what effects carrying toys will do for us-

    1) There is no defensive use for a toy. 2) As a political statement, it reduces the message of open arms as comical or juvenile. 3) Being detained for carrying a toy isnt going to help police or the general public understand our need to defend ourselves.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:

    1) There is no defensive use for a toy. 2) As a political statement, it reduces the message of open arms as comical or juvenile. 3) Being detained for carrying a toy isnt going to help police or the general public understand our need to defend ourselves.



    My logic is1

    1 people freak out when the see a gun, because it is an uncommon sight

    2 A sim. weapon could keeep you out of a lot of potential illegal situations {near school}

    3 if you kept getting stopped by LE, could be potential harassment

    4 more people would be willing to carry a sim. than a real gun, Kids could join the fun

    5 If a blaze orange gunwas OCed in a blaze orange holster while whereing blaze orange pants & blaze orange jacket your all legal but hard to see what your packing

    6 Just trying to look at a problem through a differenty set of eyes, while complying with the law

  17. #17
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    woodey wrote:
    ...If a blaze orange gunwas OCed in a blaze orange holster while whereing blaze orange pants & blaze orange jacket your all legal but hard to see what your packing
    My eyes hurt just thinking about seeing someone doing that... so... bright...

    Of course, one could go further by using blaze orange hair die to do up their hair, beard, eyebrows, etc. And then maybe full-on body paint - even under the clothes in case you get strip searched. Oh, and I think I have some big, blaze orange sunglasses in my 1980s memorabilia box...


    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    12

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    woodey wrote:
    ...If a blaze orange gunwas OCed in a blaze orange holster while whereing blaze orange pants & blaze orange jacket your all legal but hard to see what your packing
    My eyes hurt just thinking about seeing someone doing that... so... bright...

    Of course, one could go further by using blaze orange hair die to do up their hair, beard, eyebrows, etc. And then maybe full-on body paint - even under the clothes in case you get strip searched. Oh, and I think I have some big, blaze orange sunglasses in my 1980s memorabilia box...

    SWEET , thats why I'm a failure. I only put in half the effort:PI could be like the chrome dude down in San Francisco, But with a GUN:celebrate

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Turlock, California, USA
    Posts
    2

    Post imported post

    To me, it seems like desensitization of the general conception of a deadly weapon would ultimately hinder the ultimate aim for those out here in CA that practice UOC. The implications of likening guns to toys has historically been a move that has led to latter oppression of the II amendment.

    Call me paranoid, but I can see a campaign like this escalating media (or public in general) attention to those fighting against the cause. Would it bring on fast results? Most likely yes. Would they be good results? I can certainly see it going south fast.

    The current oppression in this state was not created overnight; and likewise, it's likely that it will take some time to reverse the damage (hopefully not too long). So where something like making real guns look like toys would get quick attention, as stated above, I highly doubt it would be good attention.

    Just my .02
    ~rev

    P.S. This is my first post, so hello! :-) I just discovered this site last night and have been up all night reading. This site and the sources therein have answered so many questions I've always wondered about. So thank you all for that. *2 thumbs up*

  20. #20
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    woodey wrote:
    ConditionThree wrote:

    1) There is no defensive use for a toy. 2) As a political statement, it reduces the message of open arms as comical or juvenile. 3) Being detained for carrying a toy isnt going to help police or the general public understand our need to defend ourselves.



    My logic is1

    1 people freak out when the see a gun, because it is an uncommon sight

    2 A sim. weapon could keeep you out of a lot of potential illegal situations {near school}

    3 if you kept getting stopped by LE, could be potential harassment

    4 more people would be willing to carry a sim. than a real gun, Kids could join the fun

    5 If a blaze orange gunwas OCed in a blaze orange holster while whereing blaze orange pants & blaze orange jacket your all legal but hard to see what your packing

    6 Just trying to look at a problem through a differenty set of eyes, while complying with the law

    After seeing someone wearing all that blaze orange, I think I would need a different set of eyes. :what:

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    az, ,
    Posts
    685

    Post imported post

    marshaul wrote:
    Thanks, I was looking for that. I should have remembered the phrase "imitation firearm".

    Woodey, I think your best bet if you want to do this is carry one of these in the appropriate holster.

    California Penal Code Section 12556

    (a) No person may openly display or expose any imitation
    firearm, as defined in Section 12550, in a public place.
    (b) Violation of this section, except as provided in subdivision
    (c), is an infraction punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars
    ($100) for the first offense, and three hundred dollars ($300) for a
    second offense.
    (c) A third or subsequent violation of this section is punishable
    as a misdemeanor.
    (d) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to the following, when the
    imitation firearm is:

    ...
    (13) A device where the entire exterior surface of the device is
    white, bright red, bright orange, bright yellow, bright green, bright
    blue, bright pink, or bright purple, either singly or as the
    predominant color in combination with other colors in any pattern, or
    where the entire device is constructed of transparent or translucent
    materials which permits unmistakable observation of the device's
    complete contents. Merely having an orange tip as provided in
    federal law and regulations does not satisfy this requirement. The
    entire surface must be colored or transparent or translucent.
    me and my friends used to shoot each other all day with airsoft guns when i lived there. no one cared, no one called the cops, no one freaked out guess i got lucky

    im so glad im out of that state

  22. #22
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    Sidearms are carried for self defense. They are not replica toys or political statements or fashion accessories. They're weapons. Carry the weapon 'as' a weapon. Color is a matter of choice. Purple guns with pink polka dots will shoot da boolets just as well as black guns will.

  23. #23
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    Sidearms are carried for self defense. They are not replica toys or political statements or fashion accessories. They're weapons. Carry the weapon 'as' a weapon. Color is a matter of choice. Purple guns with pink polka dots will shoot da boolets just as well as black guns will.
    I disagree. The keeping/bearing of arms often is a political statement. Just like wearing a shirt that says, "when seconds count the cops are minutes away," we're making a bold self-defense statement to the people around us. Even if you open carry solely for your own defense, it is possible others will get some sort of message from this activity.

    Now, there's no reason that a sidearm can't serve both self defense and speech purposes at the same time.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Sonora Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    3,958

    Post imported post

    T-shirts don't shoot. The political dynamic you live in creates this mindset tho...

    I kind'a view California as America's East Berlin.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Sonora Rebel wrote:
    T-shirts don't shoot. The political dynamic you live in creates this mindset tho...

    I kind'a view California as America's East Berlin.
    Mr. Schwarzenneger,

    TEAR DOWN THAT WALL!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •