• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Turns out that I'm NOT alone!

The Bull

imported post

It has become a almost regular, and very pleasant, surprise to find others that are packing single action revolvers for their CCW weapon. I had come to think of myself as kind of alone in my choice of firearm.

In the last six months I have run across 4 other SA carrying folks here in the Gulf Coast area - 2 in Mississippi, and one each from Alabama & Florida. Of those though, only one other than myself was carrying a .45 Colt. Two were .357 Mags and one was a .44 Mag loaded with .44 Specials for street carry. All were Rugers except for the .45 which was a Colt.

My personal carry load is a 250 grain Speer Gold Dot over 8 grains of Unique. All loaded into Starline nickle-plated brass and lit with a CCI large pistol primer. My firearm is a Ruger New Vaquero with a 4 5/8" barrel. I carry it in a pancake style bit of leather made by Simply Rugged.

SimplyRugged003.jpg

Why carry a single action? The answer is really simple: I grew up shooting the things and I'm exceedingly comfortable with the firearm and a pretty fair shot with one as well. I tried DA revolvers but when stressed I found myself thumbing the hammer back out of habit! Yeah, reloading a SA is slow compared to DA wheel guns and semi-autos. I also readily conceed that my six rounds (five in that guys Colt) may not be as impressive as the dozen plus in the mags of the automatics. However, when it comes to putting lead accurately on target at ranges from 10 feet to 200 meters I'll still reach for the single actions. I suppose everyone has their own take on the defensive gun game but when I look at theresults of gunfights it seems to me that it is the bullets that hit their targets that were the only ones that counted.

So, is there anyone else on here that will own up to totin' old school iron?

Hcidem

imported post

The Bull wrote:
Why carry a single action? The answer is really simple: I grew up shooting the things and I'm exceedingly comfortable with the firearm and a pretty fair shot with one as well...
Bravo! This is the point I make when people try to discuss the optimal pistol. It has to be something the carrier can use! Familiarity and comfort are the top reasons I choose the firearms I choose.

I don't think this should discourage folks from learning about new guns, but those new guns will eventually have to become familiar and comfortable to the user as well. Otherwise, they will never be as useful as the manufacturer and salesman intended them to be.

Shoot on...

JBURGII

imported post

I don't currently, but did carry a Ruger New Model .30 carbine.. blued, 7.5" and really miss it.. I visit it once in a while as a relative has it now.. (I kept visitation rights). I figure if you are good with what you got, then there is the 'tactical' advantage. Only thing I can fault on my ol Ruger was the 7.5" I had to pull..

I have thought about another one in a 4 5/8" .45 Colt.. (fade to daydream bubble):D

James

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm like The Bull, I've messed with SA's since I was a kid. Drawing the hammer back as I draw is as natural as breathing to me.

I carry a US Firearms "Rodeo" (Colt Clone) .45LC with 5.5" barrel, loaded with 225/250 grn CBR. I've recently started carrying it in a cross draw belt holster. Easier to get all that barrel out quick.

Huck

imported post

"I tried DA revolvers but when stressed I found myself thumbing the hammer back out of habit!"

I'm familiar with that myself! Up until I bought my Ruger Alaskan over a year ago all the revolvers I'd ever used were cap and ball revolvers and I got into the same habit that you mention Bull. AndI still, out of habit, thumb the hammer on the Alaskan and the GP-100. Heck, the trigger pull is lighter and you shoot more accurately with the hammer thumbed back anyway! :)

III

The Bull

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I don't think this should discourage folks from learning about new guns, but those new guns will eventually have to become familiar and comfortable to the user as well. Otherwise, they will never be as useful as the manufacturer and salesman intended them to be.

Shoot on...
You nailed it.

I encourage my 14 year old son to shoot everything he is offered at the range, (which has turned out to be danged near everything made), so that he is at least familiar with any firearm he should come across. It has led to some friendly differences in our personal choices. For example, I tend toward my lever action rimfires and single action revolvers where as he prefers his semi-autos. Our points of real agreement is a love of single-shot centerfire rifles and flintlock muzzleloaders...

...and our love of our American Freedoms!

Dustin

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Old Man with a SA Revolver (from the hip :p) vs. Thug with a Glock (sideways, of course)

I would bet on the old man every time!

I know what your saying, but it's funny to think the old man with a revolverwould have toload 3 times, before someone with an XDM 9 had to reload just one time.

This is why the old man doesn't win, and why today we fight with semi-auto's in War. Not with M1 Garands and Bolt Actions.

AlthoughI love them both :cool:

Hcidem

imported post

Dustin wrote:
I know what your saying, but it's funny to think the old man with a revolverwould have toload 3 times, before someone with an XDM 9 had to reload just one time.

This is why the old man doesn't win, and why today we fight with semi-auto's in War. Not with M1 Garands and Bolt Actions.
My old man would say he doesn't have to reload if he doesn't miss his target.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hcidem wrote:
Dustin wrote:

My old man would say he doesn't have to reload if he doesn't miss his target.

That's just what I was a thinkin'. LOL :lol:If I can place my .45 rounds on target against one, two, or three BG's I shouldn't have to reload.

I carry a Makarov 9mm sometimes, too. I've got a M1 Carbine in case the SHTF.

shad0wfax

imported post

I've OC'd a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag before. I've also OC'd a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 mag.

I do prefer to carry a double-action revolver like a J-frame, K-frame, or Redhawk variant because they're a bit safer to quickly fire under stress, but I have OC'd SA stuff.

opusd2

imported post

I'm pretty much a regular carrier of my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44mag most often. It just has the classic look in a side holster, when OC. But in other circumstances I will still carry my XD40 at night because of the excellent sights in low light conditions. Unless of course I am in a heavy predator area (bear, coyotes, wolves even the DNR jokers say they don't exist where I live) then it is the Ruger all the way.

In my opinion I'd rather have a couple of bullets actually reach their target than a dozen thrown in the general direction of it. It seems to do more good that way. Plus I was raised shooting a single shot with the direction that I either make the one shot count or don't shoot at all. It still works for me.

Tallinthesaddle

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ruger Blackhawk 44 Magnum, that is next on my list! It will go anywhere with a purpose!

opusd2

imported post

I love my Super Blackhawk in 44mag. It's the Stainless model and came with those fake ivory grips when I bought it, but I found some Ruger grips to put on and find it to be one sexy sidearm! Now if I had a nice plain leather holster for my 1911, that would be another beautiful choice. But then again, I just have a thing for fully metal pistols.

opusd2

imported post

I love my Super Blackhawk in 44mag. It's the Stainless model and came with those fake ivory grips when I bought it, but I found some Ruger grips to put on and find it to be one sexy sidearm! Now if I had a nice plain leather holster for my 1911, that would be another beautiful choice. But then again, I just have a thing for fully metal pistols.

opusd2

imported post

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I own a Ruger Vaquero .45LC, but (as much as I like it) for self defense I carry a 1911-A1 .45acp. Contrary to 'the book' (at least recently) I prefer to carry that on 1/2 cock 'cause my instincts are to thumb the hammer.

I b'leive that's what it was designed for... and the slide lock (thumb safety) only exists to safe the weapon when yer inna hurry (or nervous). That's the way those WWII vets taught me back when... 'n that's whatI do. I carry it cross draw as well (gunbelt).

There are times when you need volume and rapidity when /if faced with an armed adversary. I don't carry for a fashion statement... 'n I'd no sooner bet my life on an SAA thanI would take a Model T out on to I-10 inna 75 mph zone.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The 1911 has some accessories...

That some peoople might find... questionable w/o the complete configuration :what: