• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

first incident where someone noticed

tito887

imported post

so this story is not very long but while shopping at whole foods in louisville I was checking out when the girl who was ringing us up looked at me and asked, "is that a gun!!!:what:." I was taken at back and at first just said yes.
Then she turned back and whispered something to the guy behind her. Soon afterwards I did what I shouldn't have to do. I tried to explain myself. I babbled out something to the effect of, "It's perfectly legal... It's a right of every resident of the U.S." Certainly not as articulate as I would have liked.
Afterwards my wife mentioned that I shouldn't be so snippy with people who ask, since she was obviously surprised by me carrying.

I don't know if I really needed to say anything anyway since she didn't really ask me a follow up question. I thought over what I said and what she asked was the equivalent of me asking her, "why do you have a buzz cut.!!!" The young lady had very short hair which is not very common. I know one does not have anything to do with the other. I just don't think that's the right way to ask something like that. IS THAT A GUN!!!, get's a lot of heads turning. At least in the future I won't try to explain myself for doing something that is suppose to be my right. :)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

tito887 wrote:
so this story is not very long but while shopping at whole foods in louisville I was checking out when the girl who was ringing us up looked at me and asked, "is that a gun!!!:what:." I was taken at back and at first just said yes.
Then she turned back and whispered something to the guy behind her. Soon afterwards I did what I shouldn't have to do. I tried to explain myself. I babbled out something to the effect of, "It's perfectly legal... It's a right of every resident of the U.S." Certainly not as articulate as I would have liked.
OK, lesson learned - be laconic. Once you said yes with a slight smile, that's enough. Focus on the transaction, checking the receipt, etc.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There are many possible replies. Sometimes if approached in the manner described in the OP, I will reply to the "Is that a gun!?!" response with a casual, "Oh, that's just my PPD," to which I rarely receive a further reply.

chris in va

imported post

Yup, happened to me as well, just in VA instead.

Got done with a defensive training class and was OC my Sig 220. Had to stop and get gas at the local station, decided to go in and get a snack. Some Olive Oyl looking woman behind me starts asking the usual questions then gets rather loud and...starts grinning!:D It was surreal. The louder and more upset she got, the bigger the grin. It was like her way of dealing with a stressful situation.

I found myself explaining to her the legalities of carrying in the state of VA, more than I would have liked. Oh well.

Statesman

imported post

chris in va wrote:

Got done with a defensive training class and was OC my Sig 220. Had to stop and get gas at the local station, decided to go in and get a snack. Some Olive Oyl looking woman behind me starts asking the usual questions then gets rather loud and...starts grinning!:D It was surreal. The louder and more upset she got, the bigger the grin. It was like her way of dealing with a stressful situation.

I found myself explaining to her the legalities of carrying in the state of VA, more than I would have liked. Oh well.
You guys need an OC brochure like we do. Just hand them and anyone else that looks interested a brochure.

Statesman

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Statesman wrote:
chris in va wrote:

You guys need an OC brochure like we do. Just hand them and anyone else that looks interested a brochure.
Why is the entire right hand column of the second page about Ohio?
Most likely due to the SCOTUS (Supreme Court) ruling reference. I'd agree that it should probably be changed to a KY Appeals Court ruling that cites something similar. I'll contact the creator.

8th ID

imported post

gutshot wrote:
Statesman wrote:
chris in va wrote:

Why is the entire right hand column of the second page about Ohio?
Statesman-I downloaded this and kind of used some cut and paste on it. I used the portion with Jefferson from one page and pasted it in on the other covering th Ohio references. It looks nice-Thanks!