• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Letter to Lousiville Metro

v8shoguy

imported post

On December 27, 2008 at approximately 11:00 PM, I was stopped by a Louisville Metro Police Officer in a marked K-9 unit on N. Hurstborne Pkwy. at I-64. I was confused as to why I had been stopped. The officer approached my driver's window and asked for my operator's license. I replied to him that I wished to inform him that I have a CDWL and was armed at the present time. He asked where it was and I told him it was on my left hip. He instructed me to put my keys on the dash (I could not due to the car's keyless ignition system), and unbuckle the seatbelt with my left hand and exit the vehicle. At this point the officer told me that if I reached toward my left side that he was going to feel a gun in my face. This isn't something I would expect a police officer to say. He grabbed my left wrist as I exited the vehicle and twisted it in a very uncomfortable manner and walked me toward the back of the car. He disarmed me and I asked why I had been stopped. He said I was operating the car in an erratic manner, accelerating and then decelerating, then accelerating again. My car has a very short first gear and I was pulling away from a stoplight. I explained that I picked up the car 3 days ago and was still learning the clutch. He patted me down, then berated me for not knowing exactly what was in my pockets. I had already informed him that I had no other weapons or anything that could hurt him. After he unloaded my handgun he placed it on the trunklid of my car. I take very good care of my vehicles and was upset enough about it that I said something to the officer. This didn't alter his course of action. He had me retrieve my insurance card from the car, and spoke down to me about not knowing how to drive a manual transmisson car. I replied that I had many other manual cars but none like this. He told me that I had to find a better place to learn to drive a stick than Hurstborne. I performed a field sobriety test and passed.

I am very disappointed with the conduct of the officer. I did not need to be treated like a felon after revealing that I was a LEGAL gun owner, I didn't need to be threatened or coerced into following lawful orders, I didn't need to be subjected to verbal abuse, spoken down to, or have my personal property disrespected. In fact I did nothing wrong, as evidenced by my lack of a ticket at the stop. This kind of behavior doesn't reflect well on the officer or the department.

This has been posted in the Kentucky section of OpenCarry.org as well. I anxiously await your response on this matter.

Carnivore

imported post

Seemes like you ran into one ate up on his own ego, you fed the monster, and he went on his way to consume yet another law abiding citizen, If I'm not mistaken, one can ask for another officer to be dispatched to a scene,, is this correct??

v8shoguy

imported post

Still waiting on a response from the letter. I'll give them until Tuesday then I'll be calling.

JohnKelly

imported post

Since no crime was committed, couldn't you file assault charges against the officer for grabbing your wrist?

Statesman

imported post

Did you get the officer's badge number and name? This should be the first thing that should be noted and burned into your cranium for later reference.

I agree this guy has a serious attitude problem, and is probably not one of Louisville's finest. But to be fair, we don't have his side of the story either. What did you do to tick him off, other than OC? What were you wearing at the time of the encounter? People judge you initially by your dress and appearance, and when you OC, that is magnified many times over.

I hope Louisville LEO are represented better than this.

On an unrelated note....,

the wrist moves done on you are ultimately derived from Shaolin Qin Na (pronounced Chin Na), and are very popular with police, however most only know several moves designed to seize and control suspects when needed. Chin means to "To seize and Catch", and Na means "To hold and control". Qin Na is a vast collection of techniques which specialize in controlling or locking the opponent's joints, muscles, or tendons, misplacing bones, with advanced methods for causing numbness of the limbs, unconsciousness, or causing death.

I highly recommend learning it from a qualified master, such as Dr. Yang, Jwing - Ming. I don't know anyone else that teaches the material as he does.

See "Comprehensive Applications of Shaolin Chin Na, The Practical Defense of Chinese Seizing Arts for All Styles", Dr. Yang, Jwing - Ming: ISBN: 0-940871-36-X

v8shoguy

imported post

Statesman wrote:
Did you get the officer's badge number and name? This should be the first thing that should be noted and burned into your cranium for later reference.

I agree this guy has a serious attitude problem, and is probably not one of Louisville's finest. But to be fair, we don't have his side of the story either. What did you do to tick him off, other than OC? What were you wearing at the time of the encounter? People judge you initially by your dress and appearance, and when you OC, that is magnified many times over.
I did not get his name or badge#, I realized this after the stop was over. I was CC at the time but I'm sure he would have treated me more harshly had I been OC. I've had OC problems with Jeff Co Sheriff's Dept before but that was resolved to my satisfaction.

I understand that how I am dressed often dictates how I am treated, but I was in my car. The stop was not firearm related. Most likely I was singled out for being a younger guy in a nice car with aftermarket wheels on Saturday night. It has happened to me before (Traffic stop, labeled "DUI offender", harassed, released) in Louisville as well.

I would also like to say that I know all officers aren't bad. I have had several LMPD encounters that were pleasant and resolved without a court appearance or a complaint letter. Not all LEOs are out to get us, we only have encounters with the ones that really are.

Statesman

imported post

The vast majority of LEO are good folks, but some are misguided with state sanctioned power, and tend to give the whole a bad name. This is human nature, however abuses cannot be tolerated. I have to say, it must be difficult handling it responsibly.

I remember one guy who pulled me over in Versailles years ago for pulling out of a gas station into the left lane, then swerving back into the right lane, and driving slow, which was actually just slow takeoff on a stickshift. The guy was going all hardcore on me, telling me I was going to go to jail if I didn't listen to him, etc.

While his attitude was totally uncalled for, he pulled a block of white powdered gym chalk out of my glove compartment, and asked me what it was. I laughed and said it was gym chalk for weight lifting, and that it wasn't what he thought it was. He knew what it was, but just wanted me to verify it apparently. We both had a good laugh about it, and he let me go with no problems.

v8shoguy

imported post

Checked my contact information before I resubmitted the informal complaint. I believe they've had enough time to at least contact me regarding the stop.

WCrawford

imported post

I used to work security for the UPS Air Hub at the Louisville Airport and got to chat with a number of Louisville Police officers. I had just gotten my firearm back into my possession (left it in Nashville when I got transfered to Jeffersonville) and got accurate information from them about the firearms laws in KY.

It was through then that I was able to find this site (not directly) when I was informed by one officer that open carry without a license was perfectly legal. That was the first officer I met (in person) that wasn't anti-OC.