• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Town of Quantico

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rebfan wrote:
There is a liberal who writes for a local newspaper who served in the USMC. He is very anti-second Amendment. He was the first person I thought of after hearing what happened at Tony's.

+1

I know exactly who you are thinking of. He is about as anti-rights as they come.

rebfan

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
rebfan wrote:
There is a liberal who writes for a local newspaper who served in the USMC. He is very anti-second Amendment. He was the first person I thought of after hearing what happened at Tony's.

+1

I know exactly who you are thinking of. He is about as anti-rights as they come.
Yes he is. He hates guns, but does not have an issuewith illegals(lawbreakers)running around the County. I simply do not understand liberals.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Let me ask this just out of curiosity. Say you live in Q-Town or are just visiting there. In either case, you are walking around OC'ing. Any problems with that? Is one likely to run into any difficulties OC'ing there?

Based on my limited experiences OC-ing in Quantico, I'd say expect no problems.

And regarding the DL scan comment - not disputing that it is supposed to happen, but the young folks at the gate havenever asked to see mine. Maybe the "Santa with an attitude" appearance caused them to think better of doing so - or perhaps there is some other reason like always having at least 4 firearms to shift when going through the gate. ;)

One of these times I've got to go to Quantico for dinner. It's been ages since I was there after dark. I'm betting it has also calmed down since I was last there in the evenings.

stay safe.

skidmark

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

skidmark wrote:
And regarding the DL scan comment - not disputing that it is supposed to happen, but the young folks at the gate havenever asked to see mine.
This has only been in place for about the last 5 or 6 months. But I have noticed that there is some irregularity in the scanning. I know they do not scan LE, and Military if you have the right labels on the car.

Regards

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
skidmark wrote:
And regarding the DL scan comment - not disputing that it is supposed to happen, but the young folks at the gate havenever asked to see mine.
This has only been in place for about the last 5 or 6 months. But I have noticed that there is some irregularity in the scanning. I know they do not scan LE, and Military if you have the right labels on the car.

Regards

Any idea of why they are scanning DLs? Any idea of the authority for building a database?

If you do not know, I'm going to have to make an unarmed trip (avoids the possibility of not getting the DL scanned due to attention to the firearms show) just to see if I get scanned, then contact PMO for info on what happens to the info & why.

stay safe.

skidmark

GWRedDragon

imported post

skidmark wrote:
Any idea of why they are scanning DLs? Any idea of the authority for building a database?

If you do not know, I'm going to have to make an unarmed trip (avoids the possibility of not getting the DL scanned due to attention to the firearms show) just to see if I get scanned, then contact PMO for info on what happens to the info & why.

stay safe.

skidmark
That sounds backwards. Personally I'd rather want to know what they are doing with it BEFORE they scanned it rather than after. :uhoh:

rebfan

imported post

GWRedDragon wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.

skidmark
That sounds backwards. Personally I'd rather want to know what they are doing with it BEFORE they scanned it rather than after. :uhoh:
I've had my DL scanned at Fort Belvoir and I was on base conducting official Government business.I'm sure the scanning is done to verify the license is good or legal, and to keep a log of who has been on the base.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was advised that the information is NOT retained by the Marines. The scan actually performs an electronic background check, to see if you have outstanding warrants or are wanted for any criminal activity. Since most LE personnel entering the base use their LE IDs and those do not have the barcodes for scanning, LE are not scanned. The marines have the codes on their IDs but they are not uniformly scanned for reasons only know to the Commandant.

All of this started "Officially" about this time last year, but due to delays in procuring the scanning equipment, the actual scans did not begin until sometime in April or May on the TBS gates. I can't speak for the time it started on the Mainside gates because I do not go over there as often, but by June they were scanning there as well.

But as I said. They do not retain the information. They do not keep logs of people coming on Board the base. This is actually about security checks for wants and warrants, and that is all.

Regards

EDIT TO ADD:

This is also tied in with the universal ID program that is being discussed in another thread. These scanners are already compliant with the standards to be used in that program.

rebfan

imported post

I was taking a guess as to why dls are scanned. I know before they started to scan dls, at least at Belvoir, they checked you DL, insurance, and car registration before they provided a base pass.

Tomahawk

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
I was advised that the information is NOT retained by the Marines. The scan actually performs an electronic background check, to see if you have outstanding warrants or are wanted for any criminal activity. Since most LE personnel entering the base use their LE IDs and those do not have the barcodes for scanning, LE are not scanned. The marines have the codes on their IDs but they are not uniformly scanned for reasons only know to the Commandant.

All of this started "Officially" about this time last year, but due to delays in procuring the scanning equipment, the actual scans did not begin until sometime in April or May on the TBS gates. I can't speak for the time it started on the Mainside gates because I do not go over there as often, but by June they were scanning there as well.

But as I said. They do not retain the information. They do not keep logs of people coming on Board the base. This is actually about security checks for wants and warrants, and that is all.

Regards

EDIT TO ADD:

This is also tied in with the universal ID program that is being discussed in another thread. These scanners are already compliant with the standards to be used in that program.
So, they're trawling for criminals. How very DHS-ey that is.

tsannicolas

imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Well, Quantico is kind of a special case. For starters, there is a range on the base that is open to civilian use, and the club is open to limited civilian membership. Quantico is also the only base I've ever seen which actually sold guns in the exchange! I don't know if they still do, it's been years since I've been there. Finally, Q-Town is a seperate Virginia town surrounded on all sides by the base, so you have to drive through the base to get there. All these things conspired to force the USMC to come up with a more gun-friendly policy than most other bases, such as the cesspool I live next to, Fort Belvior.

Don't forget there is also a rather large LE complex located on the base and there are a LOT of people with all manner of firearms going in and out, from couriers with evidence to sworn LEOs from all over the US and the world. This actually causes the base to have variations on the regulations depending on weather you are entering a mainside gate, or gates leading to TBS. Having the right sticker in the windshield makes a big difference. Also now they scan the DL of every person entering the base, unless you are federal LE.

But the guards are NOT playing. They have shot people who tried to run the gate.

Regards
i guess very few of you have hunted on the base. Quantico is one of the first places I hunted when I moved to Virginia. I even got my Base Hunting Permit the first week I moved here :D

You're definitely allowed to bring firearms on base. I've even been on the road with my firearm as I was walking from one location in the Training Area to another. you just have to make sure it's unloaded.

Tomahawk

imported post

Last time I was at Quantico for anything was before 9/11/01. I don't know how it is now, but back then there were no gates to get into the training grounds area which was the whole western part of the base, included the rifle range, and actually had several roads running through it. Only the "mainside" part of the base, including Q-town and most major buildings, was gated.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Last time I was at Quantico for anything was before 9/11/01. I don't know how it is now, but back then there were no gates to get into the training grounds area which was the whole western part of the base, included the rifle range, and actually had several roads running through it. Only the "mainside" part of the base, including Q-town and most major buildings, was gated.

There are now gates on the western side. All trucks entering the base are searched.Cars are also randomly pulled aside and searched.

Frankly it is all different since September 11. 2001

Regards

zoom6zoom

imported post

Is this anything new? I had one of my techs going on base at Ft. Detrick, must have been almost 15 years ago. Checked his ID at the gate and determined his license was suspended. Wouldn't even let him drive back off base. I had to drive up there to fetch him and move his vehicle off base. Then took his ass back to the office and fired him, as a valid license was a condition of employment and he'd lied to me about it.

Mudwalker

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Xeni wrote:
I'd be surprised that you'd even have to declare a firearm to the MPs.

Ref http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/downloads/mcbo_8000_1_privately_owned_weapons.pdf
Fireworks as mentioned in this pdf are *NOT* illegal in Virginia (firecrackers, roman candles, aerial shells, etc). They are only illegal to sell, not to possess or use. Freakin' Jarheads need to get with the program :^). Who woulda thunk the Marines would be anti-freedom?

Where do you get anti-freedom from? Pretty ignorant statement if you ask me. Plus the fact the referenced base order does not say they are illegal in Virginia. It states they are illegal to possess on base. Big difference. Saying the Marines are "anti-freedom" for having this rule is equivalent to saying all OC'ers have an inferiority complex and are trying to overcome it by flashing there weapons in public.

Neplusultra

imported post

Mudwalker wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
Xeni wrote:
I'd be surprised that you'd even have to declare a firearm to the MPs.

Ref http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/downloads/mcbo_8000_1_privately_owned_weapons.pdf
Fireworks as mentioned in this pdf are *NOT* illegal in Virginia (firecrackers, roman candles, aerial shells, etc). They are only illegal to sell, not to possess or use. Freakin' Jarheads need to get with the program :^). Who woulda thunk the Marines would be anti-freedom?

Where do you get anti-freedom from? Pretty ignorant statement if you ask me. Plus the fact the referenced base order does not say they are illegal in Virginia. It states they are illegal to possess on base. Big difference. Saying the Marines are "anti-freedom" for having this rule is equivalent to saying all OC'ers have an inferiority complex and are trying to overcome it by flashing there weapons in public.
The rules say;

6. Prohibited Activities. The following activities are prohibited:

a. Introducing, possessing and/or using fireworks prohibited
by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia (firecrackers, Roman
candles, sky rockets, etc.)
, and pyrotechnics or explosives of any
type other than reloading components, and those issued in connection
with military duties.

I say:

"(firecrackers, Roman candles, sky rockets, etc.)" are *NOT* prohibited by VA State Law. Only the sale of such is. I do not stand corrected.

Edit as a second thought: You may be right in one sense though in that they are not anti-freedom but just ignorant of what VA law is. So I guess I may "mostly" stand corrected :^).

darthmord

imported post

Introducing, possessing and/or using fireworks prohibited
by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia (firecrackers, Roman
candles, sky rockets, etc.)

=====

Read it another way and you see it saying...

Introducing, possessing and/or using fireworks prohibited
by the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Are there any fireworks prohibited by Virginia? If so, then by the posted rules they are banned. Otherwise, non-banned fireworks are okay.

=====

This is a big problem where I work as many directives we get from our government customer can be interpreted in multiple ways and what they intend/desire isn't what theyask us to do.