• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spotting scope recommendations?

uskrusader

imported post

Kinda unrelated to open carry....but this is my favorite firearms forum so please bear with me.

Does anyone here have a good recommendation for a cheap spotting scope for rifle range work at 100 yards?....there are so many options out there....don't want to waste $50-150 on a total piece of junk. I only shoot a few times per month.

I'm also looking for cheap/good .308 ammo sourceto feedmy socom16. any recommendations?

Thanks,

rdinatal

imported post

For ammo you need to do your research. Start here: http://rkba.rmkhome.com/ammo.html

As for a spotting scope... My budget will not let me get a nice one at $800-$1000+ so I shopped. I bought some low priced ones but at 200 yds the had color separation and shadows when looking at targets. I ended up buying a Nikon (model unknown, about $150) when it was on sale. It's good out to 300yds but that's about it's limit.

What ever you end up with make sure you set it up (before you buy) and scope black and white lettering at the farthest distance you are able to. If the edges are not sharp then walk and shop some more.

-R

Shallnotbeinfringed

imported post

I got for Christmas a Barska 20-60x60mm spotting scope. Model # CO10866. I believe it was about $100 from Gander Mtn. but I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Barska-20-6...ItemQQimsxZ20081230?IMSfp=TL081230114003r9486

Same one I have for $58 and free shipping!

I can clearly see .22lr holes at 100 yds. I have not had the opportunity to check out longer ranges, yet.

The image was crisp, clear and bright. Its a great deal at $58 and well worth the $110 or so that my fiancee paid for mine.

Hit Ebay up before it ends. At that price I might get another one.

Gordie

imported post

I have a Leupold that allows me to see the cow on a cattle crossing sign about 2 1/2 miles from where I was set up. Of course I don't know how well that fits in to the affordable category. It was about $300.