Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Night Sights

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    I want to install a tritium front sight on my hammerless snubbie and a tritium front sight and ghost ring rear on my new Remington 870. I can either have it done in Louisville or Bowling Green and thought I would ask the advice of those on the forum as to where? How much can I expect to pay for installation?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville KY, ,
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    Not sure on installation, but poke around on the Brownells or Midway sites for your parts. More than likely the shop would have to 'special order' those anyway.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    http://www.xssights.com/ = awsome sights & outstanding customer service! Plus, they're easy to install yourself :celebrate
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burlington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    I just remember the 18thlaw of Murphy's law for cops:



    18. From behind you, the bad guys can see your night sights as well as you can.



    There are several pros and cons to night sights, to each his own.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    zer0cool wrote:
    I just remember the 18thlaw of Murphy's law for cops:



    18. From behind you, the bad guys can see your night sights as well as you can.



    There are several pros and cons to night sights, to each his own.
    If the bad guy's behind you, you've got more to worry about than whether or not he can see your sights. What do most cops know about gunfighting, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burlington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    All I can say is wow, it must be weird walking around with the thought that there will only be one person that might attack you at once instead of several. :quirky

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    zer0cool wrote:
    All I can say is wow, it must be weird walking around with the thought that there will only be one person that might attack you at once instead of several. :quirky
    alright, then, I'll adjust my reply ...

    If there's bad guys at your 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 5 o'clock & 8 o'clock, then you've got more to worry about than whether the bad guys at your 5 & 8 can see your night sights

    How was that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    49

    Post imported post

    I probably should wear tactical camo gear and paint so the BGs can't see me. Maybe I should keep a suppressor on my sidearm. Of course I'll need to practice not leaving my brass and use special untraceable bullets; I wouldn't want THEM to find me.

    I get a faster, more accurate sight picture with nights sights.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Burlington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    84

    Post imported post

    boohickey11I was just giving you another prospective is all but if you want to do all that more power to you but mall ninja comes to mind with that... Anyway, I'm going to stop commenting as it seems that people are thin skinned or cant look at things from another angle. It's not good for us to bicker amongst ourselves since the public can read this too and it seems were making progress in several states. They don't need to think all of us are jerks. Just one more think though, catass your right what would a cop know about gun fighting? Next time I want expert information on gun fightingI'll call my local Western Kentucky "Freight Relocation Specialist" I'm sure he will know all about it.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    zer0cool wrote:
    I just remember the 18thlaw of Murphy's law for cops:



    18. From behind you, the bad guys can see your night sights as well as you can.



    There are several pros and cons to night sights, to each his own.
    If the bad guy's behind you, you've got more to worry about than whether or not he can see your sights. What do most cops know about gunfighting, anyway?
    I love it. So typical.

    Some asks for advice, Zer0cool was nice enough to step up to the plate, and catass decides to slam cops.

    What do "freight relocation specialists" know about gunfighting? Is that some sort of term to make yourself feel better about being a truck driver? Or do you make yourself feel better by slamming other people?

    Let's see, Clint Smith knows a little about gunfighting, so does Massad Ayoob. Both were police officers.

    Oh, but I forgot, you're a "Freight relocation specialist", so you know more than they do...





  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    In response to the original question...

    Do away with your sights altogether. They are a crutch, in my opinion. Learn to point shoot; it saves time getting lead downrange.

    I have qualified 3 times a year (sometimes 4) with my handgun, day and night quals, and have yet to "sight" any of my shots.

    It drives our range master up the wall when he asks if I want to charge my sights during night quals, and I look at him and tell him, "Nope, I won't be using them."

    A "point shot" is an "aimed" shot, it just uses different reference points to line up on the target.



  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    zer0cool wrote:
    I just remember the 18thlaw of Murphy's law for cops:



    18. From behind you, the bad guys can see your night sights as well as you can.



    There are several pros and cons to night sights, to each his own.
    If the bad guy's behind you, you've got more to worry about than whether or not he can see your sights. What do most cops know about gunfighting, anyway?
    Got nothing else to say, smartass?


  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
    Posts
    122

    Post imported post

    Bluegrass iNdoor Range has their own gunsmith. He is pretty good too. You may want to try there or Shooters Supply in louisville.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Undertaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Wood, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    146

    Post imported post

    Gee, I'm starting to question why I joined this site.

  15. #15
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    First off the sights are not that bright that you can see them for any real distance. So the BG would have to be behind you and real close within 10 feet if they caould even be seen at that distance. People do not worry about giving away their postion by hanging a flashlight on their weapon. ( Bad move for many reasons) But the other main thing is after you fire the world will know where you are.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Central, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    thnycav wrote:
    First off the sights are not that bright that you can see them for any real distance. So the BG would have to be behind you and real close within 10 feet if they caould even be seen at that distance. People do not worry about giving away their postion by hanging a flashlight on their weapon. ( Bad move for many reasons) But the other main thing is after you fire the world will know where you are.
    You obviously don't live in a a rural area without a lot of artificial light...



  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    308

    Post imported post

    superdemon wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    First off the sights are not that bright that you can see them for any real distance. So the BG would have to be behind you and real close within 10 feet if they caould even be seen at that distance. People do not worry about giving away their postion by hanging a flashlight on their weapon. ( Bad move for many reasons) But the other main thing is after you fire the world will know where you are.
    You obviously don't live in a a rural area without a lot of artificial light...

    Actually, nycav's place isn't what I'd call urban, either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Open Carry.org Member View Post
    I really disgree with this one! That means that we can have any yahoo running around with a gun with out the proper training. This really scares the hell out of me. Just my two-cents!
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Joe Schmedlap out there with a loaded weapon thinking he's going to deter crime and he's not even trained to fire his weapon safely just kinda makes my hair on the back of my neck stand up.

  18. #18
    Regular Member thnycav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Windsor VA, ,
    Posts
    305

    Post imported post

    catass wrote:
    superdemon wrote:
    thnycav wrote:
    First off the sights are not that bright that you can see them for any real distance. So the BG would have to be behind you and real close within 10 feet if they caould even be seen at that distance. People do not worry about giving away their postion by hanging a flashlight on their weapon. ( Bad move for many reasons) But the other main thing is after you fire the world will know where you are.
    You obviously don't live in a a rural area without a lot of artificial light...

    Actually, nycav's place isn't what I'd call urban, either.
    I do live in a very rural area, and I have been to many a dark place in my 20 years in the US Army in the Inafntry.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •