• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Don't They Openly Carry In Wisconsin?

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

And meanwhile, outside of Wisconsin, according to Judith Brown of Firearm Owners Against Crime, the 2009 rally at the state capitol in Harrisburg, will take place on Tuesday, April 21st.

Firearms owners from all across Pennsylvania will visit their elected representatives and let them know how they feel on a wealth of firearms-related issues. Although possession of firearms inside the capitol building is prohibited (it's a court facility), storage facilities are available.

On a related note, thanks to the actions of many working behind the scenes, one of the topics for annual police training (statewide) is open carry. In short, the state police are now informing all police officers that open carry is legal, it is not cause for a Terry stop, nor can it be mutated into disorderly conduct or terroristic threatening.

Cheeseheads, Nutmeggers - the ball is in your court. What you do with it is up to you. Fight for your rights or give them up.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Keep my nose out - this is the sort of reaction I keep getting from you Wisconsin people. I don't get your attitude, but I do understand now why you are in your current situation.

P.S. A little off topic, but what kind of classic Ford do you own (your screen name gives it away)?

The problem with ousiders being critical while not offering help is that you are just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. It is easy to be critical when you have no stake in the issue. It is easy to just sit idle behind your keyboard and type what others should "just go do".

ALOT of effort was put into the 2 CCW bills which were vetoed by our idiot Governor. Right now there is more confusion than unity on what the next step is. Grassroots efforts are starting to bloom again and I expect that the level of unity will improve greatly over the nextyear.

Encouraging and offering constructive advice is one thing, but being a critical jerk is unwelcome.

I own a few Ford Muscle Cars including a 1969 Montego MX with a 428SCJ.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
They are getting mad at me in the Wisconsin forum..........
They feel too threatened and say I cannot understand, because I am in Georgia.

We hear your feedback.... Unless you are going to help, further antagonizing is not necessary in the WI forum. I willnow leave the the GA forum now so you are free tospout all you want....:cool:

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

fepowered wrote:
Malum Prohibitum wrote:
They are getting mad at me in the Wisconsin forum..........
They feel too threatened and say I cannot understand, because I am in Georgia.

We hear your feedback.... Unless you are going to help, further antagonizing is not necessary in the WI forum. I willnow leave the the GA forum now so you are free tospout all you want....:cool:
I think I should make at least two posts in the next 24 hours in the Wisconsin forum. My advice IS constructive.

ProguninTN

imported post

Malum, 1st off, good to see you online, again. ;) Second, I think you're right on the money with your criticism. Speaking of money, if a bunch of those WI boys & girls banded together, they could pool their money to fund lawsuits. That would probably be better than one person shelling out thousands of dollars. I guess "strength in numbers" means something...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

fepowered wrote:
ALOT of effort was put into the 2 CCW bills which were vetoed by our idiot Governor.
There you go - conflating open carry rights efforts with concealed cary efforts - mistake.

Focus on enforcing the rights you have; hold open carry events; get in the news; file lawsuits where you can. Guns + Press + lawyers = victory

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
fepowered wrote:
ALOT of effort was put into the 2 CCW bills which were vetoed by our idiot Governor.
There you go - conflating open carry rights efforts with concealed cary efforts - mistake.

Focus on enforcing the rights you have; hold open carry events; get in the news; file lawsuits where you can. Guns + Press + lawyers = victory
We have all three in a way, but dont worry we're working on it. Why dont you all go hasle Hawaii, New York, and DC. They arent getting anything done.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Parabellum wrote:
Mike wrote:
fepowered wrote:

We have all three in a way, but dont worry we're working on it. Why dont you all go hasle Hawaii, New York, and DC. They arent getting anything done.
Parabellum, are you serious in thinking that we are harassing you? This site is OpenCarry.Org, and Wisconsin is a state where openly carried firearms are perfectly legal, but the police harass you.

The fix is EASY to determine, but we need people in Wisconsin to do it.

Sorry if you think that pointing out the solution is "harassing."

As somebody who received a civil citation to municipal court foryour openly carried gun, which was legal, you ought to know what real harassing is.

Neither Hawaii, New York, nor DC is in your situation, but I will point out that there was a rather famous lawsuit in DC recently. You might have heard of it. People in Wisconsin should file a lawsuit, too. ;)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Is there not a single attorney in Wisconsin who believes strongly enough in the RKBA (or simply civil rights) to take the fight (pro-bono, or at greatly reduced cost) to the powers that be?

My goodness!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Parabellum wrote:
Mike wrote:
fepowered wrote:

How is suggesting its a mistake to conflate concealed carry and open carry efforts "harassment"?

It's time Wisconsin people put their game face on and take charge in a logical and coherent fashion, and get their faces in the newspaper so people can see them, and start pounding away with publicity campaigns and law suits.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Pointman wrote:
Para is referring to the constant barrage of . . . "you need to sue" . . . especially after what is being done was explained.
In all fairness, I do not think it has ever really been explained why people in Wisconsin do not get together behind a lawsuit. I promised not to keep harping on it, so I won't, but lawsuits work, so if there is a good reason for not suing, I would really like to hear it.

Please be aware that there is an attorney fee shifting provision available for civil rights lawsuits. All you need is a lawyer experienced with Section 1983 lawsuits. There have to be hundreds of them in Wisconsin.

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Parabellum wrote:
Mike wrote:
fepowered wrote:

We have all three in a way, but don't worry we're working on it. Why don't you all go hassle Hawaii, New York, and DC. They arent getting anything done.
Parabellum, are you serious in thinking that we are harassing you? This site is OpenCarry.Org, and Wisconsin is a state where openly carried firearms are perfectly legal, but the police harass you.

The fix is EASY to determine, but we need people in Wisconsin to do it.

Sorry if you think that pointing out the solution is "harassing."

As somebody who received a civil citation to municipal court foryour openly carried gun, which was legal, you ought to know what real harassing is.

Neither Hawaii, New York, nor DC is in your situation, but I will point out that there was a rather famous lawsuit in DC recently. You might have heard of it. People in Wisconsin should file a lawsuit, too. ;)
Mike Wrote:

How is suggesting its a mistake to conflate concealed carry and open carry efforts "harassment"?

It's time Wisconsin people put their game face on and take charge in a logical and coherent fashion, and get their faces in the newspaper so people can see them, and start pounding away with publicity campaigns and law suits.

You guys misunderstood, I said "hassle", not "harass" which are thetwo extremes of "bothering" which is what you are doing. If you don't think lawsuits are options we considered then you have not been reading the WI forums long enough. I have not been nolle prosequi. I can be charged at any given moment, in fact I expect it around the time of my property hearing. I have not received any citation from any court, only Brad has. The action for return of property is the only thing currently in the works for meand I moved for that myself.

The people of DC didn't do a thing to help the Heller case along at all. All activity in DC started AFTER Heller won the case. So don't start comparing the effort in Wisconsin to the lucky people of DC who had the fight fought for them.

And Mike, my"face" is in the media in case you forgot, you posted it.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Parabellum wrote:
If you don't think lawsuits are options we considered then you have not been reading the WI forums long enough. I have not been nolle prosequi. I can be charged at any given moment, in fact I expect it around the time of my property hearing. I have not received any citation from any court, only Brad has.

Then there is nothing currently barring your lawsuit.

jrm

imported post

BB62 wrote:
Is there not a single attorney in Wisconsin who believes strongly enough in the RKBA (or simply civil rights) to take the fight (pro-bono, or at greatly reduced cost) to the powers that be?

My goodness!
Yes, there is (assuming by "attorney in Wisconsin" you mean an attorney licensed in Wisconsin though not necessarily based in Wisconsin).

I am.

I have offered multiple times to bring a 1983 case in Wisconsin against officers or governments that arrest or threaten to arrest someone for OCing. I have offered to do so at a greatly reduced fee (approximately 75% discount off my normal rates) plus expenses. It is not cost effective for me to make this offer. My overhead is not likely to be covered. I make the offer because I feel strongly about the issue and would like to help. No one seems to want the help, though.

To the WI residents that complain about out-of-staters just typing on their keyboards but no offering any assistance, what say you?

jrm

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
Parabellum wrote:
If you don't think lawsuits are options we considered then you have not been reading the WI forums long enough. I have not been nolle prosequi. I can be charged at any given moment, in fact I expect it around the time of my property hearing. I have not received any citation from any court, only Brad has.

Then there is nothing currently barring your lawsuit.
Correct. If an actual state prosecution is not currently happening, you can sue.

jrm

imported post

The people of DC didn't do a thing to help the Heller case along at all.
Not true. Dick Heller, the plaintiff, is a DC resident. The case could not have been brought without him.

In WI, nothing can be done unless a WI resident who has been wronged stands up for himself and is willing to be a plaintiff.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

jrm wrote:
I have offered multiple times . . . It is not cost effective for me . . . I make the offer because I feel strongly about the issue and would like to help. No one seems to want the help, though.

To the WI residents that complain about out-of-staters just typing on their keyboards but no offering any assistance, what say you?

To the best of my recollection you were libeled on this board for your offers of assistance.

:?