• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Don't They Openly Carry In Wisconsin?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

They are getting mad at me in the Wisconsin forum. I do not understand why the people there do not do something productive. They are running around asking counties for resolutions and such.

:quirky

They feel too threatened and say I cannot understand, because I am in Georgia. Maybe they ought to read some of the threads in Georgia with people getting harassed by the police, jailed even.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

maybe they are taking it a little slowly to give the authorities time to get used to the idea?

another reason may be that as a practical matter, its not all that useful. you still can't carry in your car, or near schools,or in a lot of places you might want to.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

ilbob wrote:
maybe they are taking it a little slowly to give the authorities time to get used to the idea?

another reason may be that as a practical matter, its not all that useful. you still can't carry in your car, or near schools,or in a lot of places you might want to.
More useful than nothing! :D

rmodel65

imported post

It happens as you said everywhere :X Im just surprised it hasnt happened to me yet, i guess my brother was easier prey :p

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

rmodel65 wrote:
It happens as you said everywhere :X Im just surprised it hasnt happened to me yet, i guess my brother was easier prey :p

The harassment has happened to you.

Not me, though! Cops must like me. :D

rmodel65

imported post

well im just mean the arrest part :p

on another note is GPDO working for you, seems to be broken :(

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Right now, nearly every Wisconsin municipality has an ordinance prohibiting open carry in spite of the State preemption law. It is an education thing and people need to be able to challenge these "illegal" ordinances. I personally have chosen to challenge our local ordinance without incurring a citation first. If this tactic is successful, I believe that the house of cards will fall for this part of the state. A case is in the courts right now for someone who was cited in Milwaukee. We are all watching the progression of that one.

GJD

imported post

Whats the deal with Wisconsin? The deal is that most people are not willing to put up with police harrasment so they dont OC. I do open carry, and have been stopped and threatened with arrest. I keep my cool, relay how misinformed the officers are and go about my way. But that is just where I live, in Milwaukee or Madison if you open carry you might find yourself looking down the barrel of a Glock shortly because of uneducated police.

It is getting better though. More people are carrying. Eventually Governor Dum Dum will leave office and we will have a better shot at relaxing the gun laws. Good things come to those who wait I guess.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
PerhapsCheeseheads (Wisconsin)are as cowed as Nutmeggers (Connecticut) - nobody wants to take the government to court to correct a wrong.

SUE THE BASTARDS!
There are current and past court cases involving CCW and OC. An OC case is going through the courts now. It is better to work smart than unnecessarily hard. People who do not use their head end up deeper in crap and debt than they intended. Not working smart can even get you in prison as is evident by the highly publicized case in WI over the past couple of years regarding an alleged"machine gun"...

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

fepowered wrote:
Statkowski wrote:
PerhapsCheeseheads (Wisconsin)are as cowed as Nutmeggers (Connecticut) - nobody wants to take the government to court to correct a wrong.

SUE THE BASTARDS!
There are current and past court cases involving CCW and OC. An OC case is going through the courts now.. . .

There is not a lawsuit working its way through the courts involving an openly carried pistol right now.

If I am wrong, then please correct me with the case name, number, and court.

Please do not link to a certain civil offense municipal court case :quirky, which is not a lawsuit. It is a city citation (gimme a break). He is fighting a city court ticket. Statkowskisaid, "SUE THE BASTARDS!" which I believe none of you in Wisconsin are doing because you are all too timid and busy in-fighting.

I agree with Statkowski.:cool:

Organize and do something, please.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
There is not a lawsuit working its way through the courts involving an openly carried pistol right now.
Statkowskisaid, "SUE THE BASTARDS!" which I believe none of you in Wisconsin are doing because you are all too timid and busy in-fighting.

I agree with Statkowski.:cool:

Organize and do something, please.

Ahhhh..... someone with neither the time nor money to do so themself is making demands on others...... :cool:

Nothing is stopping you from taking up this personal crusade on the part of the timid Wisconsin sheep...... ;)

It is much easier to insult all instead of making an eduated informed statement about specific problems.... Wisconsin does have dissent in its ranks. Part of theissue is that some of the organized CCW groups are not supporting the OC cause and dissagree with actions down this road for fear of an OC permit system being proposed, legislated and implemented. Things are moving very slow and maybe even backwards at this time, but there IS grass roots movement which willlikely reenergize thecurrent stagnant movement. Either lend a hand and helpor kindly keep your nose out...

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

fepowered wrote:
Ahhhh..... someone with neither the time nor money to do so themself is making demands on others...... :cool:

Why are you waiting for somebody to do it for you? Stand up for yourself! Grow a backbone! Put your time and money where it counts!
Nothing is stopping you from taking up this personal crusade on the part of the timid Wisconsin sheep...... ;)
I am really kind of busy fixing Georgia along with a few thousand other people. Sorry.

Do something for yourself.
It is much easier to insult all instead of making an eduated informed statement about specific problems.... Wisconsin does have dissent in its ranks. Part of theissue is that some of the organized CCW groups are not supporting the OC cause and dissagree with actions down this road for fear of an OC permit system being proposed, legislated and implemented. Things are moving very slow and maybe even backwards at this time, but there IS grass roots movement which willlikely reenergize thecurrent stagnant movement. Either lend a hand and helpor kindly keep your nose out...
Keep my nose out - this is the sort of reaction I keep getting from you Wisconsin people. I don't get your attitude, but I do understand now why you are in your current situation.

You brought it on yourself.

Stop waiting for somebody to do something for you.

You will have to do it for yourself.

The situation cannot get much worse. Fix it.
some of the organized CCW groups are not supporting the OC cause and dissagree with actions down this road for fear of an OC permit system being proposed, legislated and implemented.
They do not support legally carrying openly because somebody might put into place a permit system, instead of pointing guns and putting you in jail?

Fear will not move the ball forward, but you could always avoid those groups and put your time, talent, and treasure into the groups that are going to move things forward. It is intolerable to have police harassing people for legal, harmless conduct. Well, it is intolerable in a free country, to a citizen who is interested in his duties as a free citizen.

:)

P.S. A little off topic, but what kind of classic Ford do you own (your screen name gives it away)?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Oddly... All the replies seem to indicate a populace that desires a solution that comes from outside rather than providing the answers themselves. They want a Savior, perhaps someone annointed by G*d to provide them with solutions for the problems caused by the very people whom they have voted into office.

By any chance, did Wisconsin go to Obama in '08?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Oddly... All the replies seem to indicate a populace that desires a solution that comes from outside rather than providing the answers themselves.
Bingo.