Thread: Places to Shoot?

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I just ordered myself a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm from gunbroker with my christmas money (my first handgun!) and am wondering places in Oregon to shoot? I would like to get aquainted with it before I open carry. Where do you guys shoot?

Post imported post

I had this link bookmarked. It may help you out.
    http://www.gunshowdirectory.com/loca...mp;popState=OR

I can't be of much use. The place I shoot is about 200 miles from you.

Post imported post

NaT805 wrote:
    Where do you guys shoot?
    West side PDX is very poorly populated with indoor/formal places to shoot. I should know - I am 15 minutes west of you. But what we are short on in formality we easily make up for in the woods. Yah, that's not great this time of year, but 9 months out ofthe year there are millions of acres within 30 minutes of you where shooting is free and easy. Just head west.

-adamsesq

Post imported post

adamsesq wrote:
    NaT805 wrote:
    Where do you guys shoot?
    West side PDX is very poorly populated with indoor/formal places to shoot. I should know - I am 15 minutes west of you. But what we are short on in formality we easily make up for in the woods. Yah, that's not great this time of year, but 9 months out ofthe year there are millions of acres within 30 minutes of you where shooting is free and easy. Just head west.

-adamsesq
    +1

Hey adamsesq, we never did hook up to shoot down the highway from you. Maybe when the weather turns dryer we can get together with the ladies for some practice fun. My wife will be sporting a new XD9 SC.

I will even let you use my guns, since you don't have any.

Post imported post

I usually go to the woods to shoot. I am not sure the name of the place but I travel through Carlton (Panther Rd. I believe). Also we go to public land and shoot. Go to ar15.com and there are some places listed there. Plan on taking my stepson shooting tomorrow morning, if I can get my butt out of bed.

Post imported post

I'm sure most of you already do, but make sure if you go out in the woods to take a trash bag or two, and not only pick up your OWN brass, plinking cans & garbage, but pick up some of the crap others left behind as well.

Leave it nicer than you found it.

As for me, I usually head for the hills NorthEast of Eugene/Springfield, up McGowen Creek Rd. There's an official firing range there (Emerald Empire Gun Club), but go further up the hill past that and you'll start finding all sorts of plinkin' spots. Some with good backstops for shooting cans, targets, etc., and some great landings for slinging skeet.

...Orygunner...

Post imported post

Orygunner wrote:
    I'm sure most of you already do, but make sure if you go out in the woods to take a trash bag or two, and not only pick up your OWN brass, plinking cans & garbage, but pick up some of the crap others left behind as well.

Leave it nicer than you found it.
    ...Orygunner...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! That is my absolutely pet peeve. Leaving brass in the woods is no different than throwing out your McDonalds bag along the highway. I don't know why it seems to be "accepted..." Heck, I even feel bad about leaving the lead bullets in the berms I shoot into! Because some of my friends' weapons throw brass so wildly I even take a screen room to shoot out of to contain the brass!

-adamsesq

Banned

Post imported post

in the woods

Post imported post

indoors you can try "A Place to Shoot " in North Portland or The Public Safety Training Center/ Shooting Range on 82nd ave

Outdoors there is the "English Pit" in vancouver

[http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/sheriff/p...]http://www.co.clackamas.or.us/sheriff/[/url]

http://www.theplacetoshoot.com]http://www.theplacetoshoot.com[/url]
    http://www.englishpit.com/

Post imported post

A Place To Shoot looks kinda neat but I could not stand having to buy my ammo there as my choices in ammo are pretty selective. Is this common at ranges/clubs?

-adamsesq (who normally likes his barn or the woods to shoot in)

Post imported post

In McMinnville I belong to the Yamhill County sportsmans club, I have full access to a nice safe clean range for only $60 per year. I would recommend it to anybody in the area, I think it's cheaper than the gas to go up in the hills and I dont have to worry about crazies shooting at me.

Post imported post

Where is this Yamhill County range of which you speak? I'd drive from Banks down there during the winter for a good range!

ETA: it looks like it is outside only?

-adamsesq

Post imported post

Its in McMinnville, I believe there is a web site but I am not sure if its been updated lately. It's an outdoor range but covered. The only problem is in the early spring it floods pretty bad.

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

I'll check out the indoor range in portland until I find a place in the woods. I won't have to worry about unloading entering portland either...

14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place.

A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm’s clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:

Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges."
    http://www.portlandonline.com/audito...37&c=28514

Post imported post

Sounds like INFRINGEMENT TO ME. Why we even have a constitution that is never followed is beyond me. Why even have the 2nd Amendment that states "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" if local states are just going to illegally INFRINGE on our rights?
    IT'S TOTAL BS. This country is going to hell in a FEDEX truck.

Is it legal to OPEN CARRY on your own private property front yard, back yard, in home, with OUT a CCL in the cities that have banned OPEN CARRY with out a CCL?

Quote Originally Posted by btrombl View Post
    In McMinnville I belong to the Yamhill County sportsmans club, I have full access to a nice safe clean range for only $60 per year. I would recommend it to anybody in the area, I think it's cheaper than the gas to go up in the hills and I dont have to worry about crazies shooting at me.
    How and who can I get in touch with to find out more info on this shooting club?

Quote Originally Posted by NaT805 View Post
    I just ordered myself a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm from gunbroker with my christmas money (my first handgun!) and am wondering places in Oregon to shoot? I would like to get aquainted with it before I open carry. Where do you guys shoot?
    Oregon is a pretty big state. Can you narrow it down a bit by telling us which city you live in?

Re: Places to Shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbar View Post
    Oregon is a pretty big state. Can you narrow it down a bit by telling us which city you live in?
    I assume he found a place since he posed the question in 2008.

Aha! Missed that one!

How do I get in touch with someone about membership to this club???

Wow Google who woulda thought

Quote Originally Posted by verndont View Post
    How do I get in touch with someone about membership to this club???

McMinnville - Yamhill County Sportsmen's Association, PO Box 1265, McMinnville, OR 97128. Phone: 503-434-9751.