• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Limited Access to the Pit in Oly

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The main road is clear but the snowplows have made access to the parking area difficult to get into. I high-centered the suburban trying to get in. If you have a oversize 4x4 it should be no problem to park. The parking area has about 12-18 inches of snow. The walk up to the shooting area can be done but you are still looking at 12 inches once you get there.

Nosrac

imported post

Thanks for the update M1. I was thinking aboutheading down there later this week. Did it look like it was used much in the snow? Just wondering how many it keeps out.

SKSGuy

imported post

Great place to be if you want to be shot...

Safety is the last concern on the minds most patrons there.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

SKSGuy wrote:
Great place to be if you want to be shot...
Safety is the last concern on the minds most patrons there.
Here we go again with the "Evil & Unsafe Pit" in Oly. You don't like it? Fine, don't attend.

For the new folks...
The pit is exactly that, a open gravel pit. There are no range safeties, you bring your own targets or use what trash was left from the last folks who didn't pack out theirs. There are no lanes and you setup where you want, how you want. Everything from BB's to .50's are shot here with the range maybe 125 yards deep.
If & when you want to go downrange you coordinate with the folks on either side of you who alert the other folks down from them.

To the pit:
I-5 south past Olympia to exit 95 (Little Rock). Follow the road till it comes to a "T." Turn right onto Waddell Creek Road and follow for approx 5 miles. There will be a large gravel parking area on the right. If you hit a stop sign you passed the area by about 300 yards (almost always someone is shooting).

triangle-pit-directions.jpg

triangle-pit.jpg

SKSGuy

imported post

Exactly. I don't attend and I live about 2mi from it. If you like people riding by on their ATVs while you're shooting, if you like people discharging their firearms WHILE you're downrange setting up targets, if you like crossfire, if you like guys sweeping you with their loaded firearms - fingers on the triggers...it is THE happening place.

If you would like, I will happily show you a much better place further in Capitol Forest. I'm just looking out for you and anybody else that likes to live ;) I didn't mean anything personal by it.

David.Car

imported post

Hell consider yourselves lucky to have something like that nearby.

3 Ranges in Spokane.

1 indoors, handgun caliber only, doesn't support OC.

1 outdoor member range, public can only shoot on a couple days.

1 outdoor only $5... But only open from 2 until dusk (so until 4 at this time of year) and is a 45 minute drive.

BobR

imported post

David.Car,

The next time I head out to fishtrap, I will give you a call if you would like. I was out there a few weeks ago and was shooting pistols and rifles out to 150yds.

It was cold, but still enjoyable.

bob

jarhead1911A

imported post

SKSGuy wrote:
Exactly. I don't attend and I live about 2mi from it. If you like people riding by on their ATVs while you're shooting, if you like people discharging their firearms WHILE you're downrange setting up targets, if you like crossfire, if you like guys sweeping you with their loaded firearms - fingers on the triggers...it is THE happening place.

If you would like, I will happily show you a much better place further in Capitol Forest. I'm just looking out for you and anybody else that likes to live ;) I didn't mean anything personal by it.
Ya know i have been shooting there for YEARS and i have yet to see someone get shot by a stray bullet, There are those idiot sniper wanna be's who think they can hide in the bushes and the problem is that they cant see people coming or going from either direction and yes i do make an example out of them in front of everyone to remind them how dangerous it is and i ask them to get up to the line like everyone else is, Most either comply or just leave. Either way it gets delt with and yet again no gun shot victims are taken to the hospital but like with everything on this planet there are supid people everywere and most have cell phones in cars.....

David.Car

imported post

BobR wrote:
David.Car,

The next time I head out to fishtrap, I will give you a call if you would like. I was out there a few weeks ago and was shooting pistols and rifles out to 150yds.

It was cold, but still enjoyable.

bob
Sending you a PM

SKSGuy

imported post

For those that asked for directions, I'll get them to you later this evening if I have time. I have to use the forest roads as guides - sometimes they are not always clearly marked.

One thing I should probably mention is that the snow up in those hills is probably still a foot or more deep so actually reaching the destination may not be an option for a couple more weeks.

If you guys ever want to go shooting we should organize and I'll take you all up there collectively.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.

SKSGuy

imported post

jarhead1055 wrote:
SKSGuy wrote:

Ya know i have been shooting there for YEARS and i have yet to see someone get shot by a stray bullet, There are those idiot sniper wanna be's who think they can hide in the bushes and the problem is that they cant see people coming or going from either direction and yes i do make an example out of them in front of everyone to remind them how dangerous it is and i ask them to get up to the line like everyone else is, Most either comply or just leave. Either way it gets delt with and yet again no gun shot victims are taken to the hospital but like with everything on this planet there are supid people everywere and most have cell phones in cars.....

All I'm going to say in response to that is....there is a reason the rumor persists.

You do what you want. There are other, better locations.

compmanio365

imported post

SKSGuy wrote:
For those that asked for directions, I'll get them to you later this evening if I have time. I have to use the forest roads as guides - sometimes they are not always clearly marked.

One thing I should probably mention is that the snow up in those hills is probably still a foot or more deep so actually reaching the destination may not be an option for a couple more weeks.

If you guys ever want to go shooting we should organize and I'll take you all up there collectively.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all.
I go up in the hills east of Pierce County, up through 410.....is that what you are talking about? There is some good areas up there to go shooting, and a nice drive.

SKSGuy

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Sounds like a splendid idea.
+1 on that. A few of us have rigs that will seat 5 - 8 adults (Suburban here). I'm all for finding new places.

oh great! yeah that'd work out great!

Right now i'm trying to compile the map. The easiest route would be to come in from the Elma side but the quickest route would be to go through the forest. It's nearly on the other side (closer to Elma than Olympia - it seems)