• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CC for the first time

jarehead0311

imported post

I just received my Virginia Non Resident Concealed Permit, once I got it I couldn't wait to strap on my Sig 229 I purchased the day prior. Icc to springfield mall, and then later went to Outback to dinner with some friends and oc since we have to. I had no problems what so ever at Outback, so I was very pleased with my first time.

The holster I use now is a blackhawk CQC serpa holster outside of the pants. It wasn't bad because I was wearing a jacket when I went to the mall. But I got thinking about I will be able to CC come summer. I was looking at holsters that go inside the pant but they don't seem that comfortable. Is it just better to open carry come summer? I don't want to attract that much attention to myself. I guess my question is how well do in pant holsters conceal in comparison to just pulling my shirt over my current holster and getting a huge bulge where my pistol is located.

Tralpat

imported post

I haven't really had my CC permit for too long (about 6 months) so I am by no means an expert on what you should do. I think first a foremost you need to be comfortable. After doing some research that meant getting a Crossbreed Supertuck. I have been wearing it almost everyday since I got my permit. I love it and don't even know that I am carrying anymore.

jarehead0311

imported post

I have no doubt that I am going to carry everyday. At work I am always with a firearm so it is no different for me. I am just glad that I am finally able to do it. No I just need to decide for the summer months if I just open carry or get a holster to go inside my waistband and tuck my shirt over.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

There is a little preparation required for IWB CC carry. First you might want to buy pants in a slightly larger waist size so there is some room for the weapon. You will also want a holster that us comfortable but stiff. If it is not stiff your belt will squeeze the holster and make it difficult to draw. If the holster is not stiff you will also have problems holstering the weapon as the holster will collapse when you draw.

AS a tip you will find the IWB holsters with a hard clip that comes out over the belt and hooks under it to be the easiest to use. Also you will want the IWB to have the rough side out on the leather and it should be double stitched and at least two layers thick. Do not get one with sharp corners,t will dig into you and be quite painful. Generally an IWB will be less comfortable than an OWB, but they do conceal the weapon better.

You might take a look at Galco I have been using a Galco SCT218 for years and have been quite satisfied with it. But with holsters Your Mileage May vary.

Regards

ODA 226

imported post

If you want to CC in the summer, just buy a slightly larger shirt and don't tuck it in. Try to get a few with patterns to break up any printing from your weapon or wear a vest. (even though nothing screams MWAG more than a vest.) Like you, I carry a Springfield Micro Compact .45 ACP in a SERPA CQC Holster everyday.

I don't recommend carrying a weapon in different holsters nor do I recommend different modes of carry. To clarify, if you normally carry OWB in a Serpa and then change to a IWB Bianci, for example, and you are forced to draw, you will most likely move your hand to where your Serpa normally is. You have just wasted precious milliseconds.

I have never found a IWB holster that is comfortable enough to wear 12 hours a day. Some swear by them, but I don't. It's just personal choice.

So, if you normally carry a Serpa, just get a few baggy, printed shirts and wear the weapon in the same mode everyday in order to stick to the "KISS" principle. It could save your life.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Another option for you during the summer may be to use a "fanny" pack for your sidearm. This is usually what I use during the summer when I wish to conceal. Get one that is not black. Black fanny packs usually scream gun. Pink or baby blue usually works well. ;)

And welcome aboard.

ZBBMcFate

imported post

When I CC, I swear by my "SmartCarry" holster. Practically invisible, comfortable, I forget it's there sometimes. It is difficult to access while seated though. (driving) [url]http://www.smartcarry.com[/url] Oh, and GREAT customer service. The owner himself called me to confirm the order.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

See: www.clipdraw.com

I've been carrying my Kahr concealed with a universal Clip-Draw for about 2.5 years now and I've never had an issue. The gun slides between my pants and my undies while the clip mounts between my pants and belt. I good firmly worn belt keeps my handgun in place with no slippage even when running or jogging. I had seen ads for clipdraw before I got my CCW in another state, but didn't buy one until a co-worker recommended them as he had been using them on his revolvers with good useage for years. Some people may knock it, but if I'm not forced by law to have a traditional holster (like when travelling through Ohio in a car) and I want to carry concealed this is what I use and I gladly recommend it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have a number of guns in my carry stable from which to chose based upon the time of year, clothes, where I am going to be, and a few other criteria. Generally, I use an belt holster in leather that fits several of my guns. I have a DeSantis Mini-Slide for my Glocks (it fits all four), and a Galco for my Kahrs. These seem to do quite well. And for those times when I just cannot make due with a holster, I carry either my PM9 or my P3AT in a pocket.

All of this is when CC'ing, of course. Most of the time I am OC'ing so there is no problem with clothes and such then.

MeBaby

imported post

I carry either a 5" 1911 in a soft IWB Uncle Mikes or a 3" 1911 in a soft IWB Uncle Mikes. They are comfortable and I sometimes forget that they are there. In the summer I wear a tank top with a cover shirt that is one size too big with one button buttoned to keep the shirt from opening up. In the winter I usually wear a T shirt with a nice long sleeve cover shirt, again 1 size too big with one button buttoned. for colder weather, I add a large quilted flannel shirt (as a jacket) over all of it. Other than a spare mag or 2 in my pockets, I don't carry anything else.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
See: http://www.clipdraw.com

I've been carrying my Kahr concealed with a universal Clip-Draw for about 2.5 years now and I've never had an issue. The gun slides between my pants and my undies while the clip mounts between my pants and belt. I good firmly worn belt keeps my handgun in place with no slippage even when running or jogging. I had seen ads for clipdraw before I got my CCW in another state, but didn't buy one until a co-worker recommended them as he had been using them on his revolvers with good useage for years. Some people may knock it, but if I'm not forced by law to have a traditional holster (like when travelling through Ohio in a car) and I want to carry concealed this is what I use and I gladly recommend it.

Gotta disagree with this suggestion. Anything does not offer trigger guard protection is too dangerous for everyday carry. I have no documentation to support this, I'm just saying from a safety standpoint. I think that I have excellent gun handling skills, and I'd be nervous as hell to carry like that.

VAopencarry

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

Gotta disagree with this suggestion. In my opinionAnything does not offer trigger guard protection is too dangerous for everyday carry. I have no documentation to support this, I'm just saying from a safety standpoint. I think that I have excellent gun handling skills, and I'd be nervous as hell to carry like that.
fixed that.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
jmelvin wrote:

Gotta disagree with this suggestion. In my opinionAnything does not offer trigger guard protection is too dangerous for everyday carry. I have no documentation to support this, I'm just saying from a safety standpoint. I think that I have excellent gun handling skills, and I'd be nervous as hell to carry like that.
fixed that.
If I wanted it fixed, I would have fixed it myself.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The pants and my leg provide the same trigger guard protection as my holster. I'dh have to punch a hole in my pants to operate the trigger, just like I'd have to punch a hole through my holster to operate the trigger while the gun resides there. The trigger isn't even reachable for manipulation until you pull the gun out of your pants, the same as a holster. Surprisingly I don't have a trick "wiener" to pull the trigger while in my pantswithout using my hands. :)

GWRedDragon

imported post

Just make sure you don't point it at me while the trigger guard is not actually covered by a holster, please. If all it is pointed at is yourself, that's your risk to take. :uhoh:

Personally, my gun never leaves the holster (and thus the trigger is always completely covered) except at home, at the shooting range, or if I am in fear for my life.

I haven't OCed yet but I figure that this is a common-sense thing that should go for anyone carrying a gun, whether CC or OC.

nova

imported post

When I CC I use a leather Bianchi IWB holster and I have no problem concealing a 4" revolver under just a t-shirt (I actually wear two shirts so it doesn't print so bad).

mobeewan

imported post

I use a Galco Royal Guard holster when I CC my 5" 1911 and a BackwoodsLeather (Portsmouth, Va) model DBLEC when I CC my STI 2011compact. Both holstersallow the pistols to cant forward to fit more comfortably and not dig into my right side "love handle".

Anything worn IWB can cause perspiration/water vaporto be presenton the firearm even in the winter. So remove thefire arm from the holster when disarming to put awayand check for moisture andwipe it down. If my holster is damp I keep it seperated from the firearm to allow it to dry and the firearm to dry whereI can't wipe unless disassembling it. Don't forget to check for rust periodically and keep the slide and frame rails and internals lightly oiled. Perspirationis your enemy.

Also I use a small Eagle Creek zippered pouch that is used to carry a camera, passport, film. It has a outside flap pouch that holds 2 to 3 mags and a zippered main compartment that will fit my 5" 1911. It can bet put on the belt, but I carry it under my left arm with the shoulder strap that comes with it. For summer carry it works well and no one pays it any attention and I even carry my check book and money in the zippered side pouch.