• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Phoenix man killed in attempted OC gun grab

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

JesseL wrote:
Info here.

Edit: Title should read "Phoenix man killed in attempted OC gun grab".

The news report is, as always, short on details. (sigh)

But, it does not really indicate he was an open carrier. For the way the article is worded, he could have been waiting for a buddy to go practice shooting. Or, he could have been a criminal himself handling or holding his gun.

Neitherdoes itsay whether he was shot with his gun, or one the criminals had with them already.

I think to call it an "OC gun grab" is just a little premature. Maybe it was, but we would need a little more info to be sure.

r6-rider

imported post

the anti's and CCers are going to have a field day with this. now they can finally say "when you oc you make yourself a target"

assuming he was OCing of course...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
the anti's and CCers are going to have a field day with this. now they can finally say "when you oc you make yourself a target"

assuming he was OCing of course...
Wouldn't worry about it too much.

Its not like they've ever needed any facts to push their agenda. They usually just make up or distort to create what they need.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The media here leave somethin' to be desired (always). W/o pertinant details... we can only speculate.

Emphasis on situational awareness people. If yer gonna 'carry'... you must also be able, willing and ready to shoot. That iron ain't a fashion accessory or a political statement... or a gee-whiz novelty item. It's a weapon.

Shovelhead

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I'd be willing to put money down that no one that was involved was in legal possession of a firearm.

Kinda like when Plaxico Burress ''Grabbed" for his illegally carried handgun and shot himself in the thigh ina New York club a coupla weeks ago?

:uhoh::what:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The title of the OP is not supported by the reported facts - not in the least and certainly not yet .

Even if it does prove to be the case, what is the numerical representation? One (1) out of a million or .000001% ? (not scientific based) Pretty good argument/odds for a person to be legally OCing IMHO. I think that the odds are probably better that I'll be struck by lightning.

Yata hey

JesseL

imported post

My apologies to everyone for the misleading/inaccurate headline. I had no intention of stirring up anything and I agree that there are a lot of facts missing from the article. I just thought everyone might be interested in seeing it.

I have long been an advocate of open carry and I just dread the anti-OC guys getting any more ammo for their campaign.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

JesseL wrote:
My apologies to everyone for the misleading/inaccurate headline. I had no intention of stirring up anything and I agree that there are a lot of facts missing from the article. I just thought everyone might be interested in seeing it.

I have long been an advocate of open carry and I just dread the anti-OC guys getting any more ammo for their campaign.
No harm, understand your intentions. We are used to hearing "you'll be the first" argument from the antis - just took the opportunity to share my .000001% reply.

We do need to be aware of our choice of words here though so as to not give the other side fuel for their witch burning parties.

Yata hey

Michigander

imported post

Notso wrote:
Based on the location(47th Ave and McDowell), it's probably gang related.
It's a heavily Mexican area, but not exactly LA. I open carried in that area dozens of times without any problems. The worst thing I usually noticed around there was idiots spray painting signs and things, but I don't ever remember hearing of anyone getting mugged or shot. The few times I ended up within 40 feet of punks around there, they'd see my gun, and walk away.

Even though some very key facts are missing from this story, I'll still make a semi educated guess that this guy wasn't a legit OCer. Probably just a punk who had gone out of his way to make someone mad.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I don't think the OC argument necessarily covers a situation where a person(s) are specifically after you (i.e. gang related).

If they really want you, chances are they'll get you eventually, gun or no gun.