Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun ban in Virginia at Cookouts

Post imported post

Last night I was watching a TV show about the history or Bar-B-Que and they were discussing talking about the popularity of it and how teh Founding Fathers enjoyed it. They were discussing how it involved into such a social event and that it was common for the celebrations to include strong drink and rowdyness. In the discussions they talked about George Washington often threw such parties and things would get out of hand. The kicker was that in the early 1800's Virginia passed a law banning guns from Bar-B-Ques.

This is the earliest gun ban that I have heard of and goes against what everyone always says about our Founding Fathers. I haven't been able to find anything on this so does anyone have any information on this law? Maybe our Founding Fathers weren't so pro-gun as we thought.

Post imported post

If this is true, it is probably still on the books. (LMAO!) We in Virginia still have the most ridiculous, antiquated laws in the criminal codes. For example, it is against the law to kiss your wife in public on Sunday. It is against the law to sell toilet paper on Sunday. Oral sex is a felony. A police officer can kill you to prevent you from killing yourself...and the list goes on.

No, I cannot cite the codes as these laws are no longer enforced, but they are still on the books somewhere. Maybe someone with time and strong Google-fu can find these and some others that are laughable and post the specific codes? It could be fun and funny!
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

Post imported post

Don't forget that it is illegal to have the lights on or use anything other than missionary. Virginia needs to go back through the laws and get rid of these outdated laws so that no one can pull them up in court:shock:

Post imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
    If this is true, it is probably still on the books. (LMAO!) We in Virginia still have the most ridiculous, antiquated laws in the criminal codes.
    Until this year serving Sangria was illegal. The spanish tapas place in King Street (La Tasca) was actually cited for it, as well as a few other restaurants in Virginia in the past few years. The law was changed, so now sangria is legal. Boilermakers and a variety of other drinks that mix beer and liquor are still illegal to serve. Instead of changing the law to remove these crazy alcohol restrictions, they just added an exemption by name for sangria.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+4.1-324

" Sell wine to which spirits or alcohol, or both, have been added, otherwise than as required in the manufacture thereof under Board regulations, except that a mixed beverage licensee may (i) make sangria that contains brandy, triple sec, or other similar spirits and (ii) combine beer or spirits, or both, with wine pursuant to a patron's order;"

I couldn't find anything about bbqs and firearms, perhaps it was a local ordinance that is now preempted...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

What would we do with all of those beautiful BBQ guns?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

No more Cookouts for VCDL?:shock:
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

mobeewan wrote:
    No more Cookouts for VCDL?:shock:
    The BBQ's they had then were 3-5 day events, and real BBQ. A cookout is to BBQ , is what baking is to boiling. I think the VCDL cookout is safe.

Post imported post

Hey, Fairfax sent a helicopter and several carloads of their finest to one of ours a while back and everyone went home happy!

Post imported post

I never realized what a damnable felon I was until after reading ODA226's and CRFrider's posts. I should be ashamed of myself.

Technically, I should be debarred the use of guns. :what:

Post imported post

I broke those bedroom laws multiple times last night:what::celebrateLuckily there wasn't a LEO in the room or I could have lost my gun rights

Post imported post

No such law. There were laws during the 17th century that made it made it illegal to discharge firearms in celebration except for weddings and funerals. The intent was to save powder and ball, and to not alarm the other inhabitants that the gun fire was a signal of an Indian attack. The History Channel made that up.

""That no commander of any plantation do either by himselfe or suffer others to spend powder and ammunition unnecessarily in drinking or enterntainments, &c." 1623.

"
    " Be it therefore enacted that what person or persons soever shall, after publication hereof, shoot any gunns at drinking (marriages and ffunerals onely excepted.) that such person or persons so offending shall forfeit 100 lb. of tobacco to be levied by distresse in case of refusall and to be disposed of by the militia in ammunition towards a magazine for the county where the offence shall be committed." 1655.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

mkl wrote:
    ...SNIP
    I couldn't find anything about bbqs and firearms, perhaps it was a local ordinance that is now preempted...
    This is a job for either Citizen or Nakedshoplifter.

Regards
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
    mkl wrote:
    ...SNIP
    This is a job for either Citizen or Nakedshoplifter.

Hawkflyer
    Oh, now you've started it.

Since Nakedshoplifter is going to say it anyway, I might as well beat him to it and say it for him:

Obviously the 1623 and 1655 ordinances against spending ball and powder while drinking were aimedat my ancestors.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

So if this is illegal you can no longer defend your chow from scavengers:

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/FeLx0AnbnlA&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    ...SNIP
    Obviously the 1623 and 1655 ordinances against spending ball and powder while drinking we aimed my ancestors.

Well there is the single malt thing...
    "Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

Since Nakedshoplifter is going to say it anyway, I might as well beat him to it and say it for him:

Obviously the 1623 and 1655 ordinances against spending ball and powder while drinking we aimed my ancestors.

Have we too been drinking tonight :^)?

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I broke those bedroom laws multiple times last night:what::celebrateLuckily there wasn't a LEO in the room or I could have lost my gun rights
    Alex, you should give your hand a rest - you may need it for self DEFENSE :shock:

Post imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Alex, you should give your hand a rest - you may need it for self DEFENSE :shock:
    Bahhaha that must be why they make ambi safties for 1911s :P

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
    Citizen wrote:

Have we too been drinking tonight :^)?
    ROFLMAO. No, but I see your point. I'll go back and fix it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Ron I am happy to say that her name was Kelsey:celebrate giggity giggity I was not carrying for obvious reasons but if need be the Glock can just hide out under the pillow until summoned Just to get Ron off my case, THIS IS PROOF OF HOW MY NEW YEARS WENT!!!!:celebrateIf only I could have OC'd the whole time ahahaha

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Bubba Ron wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Ron I am happy to say that her name was Kelsey:celebrate giggity giggity I was not carrying for obvious reasons but if need be the Glock can just hide out under the pillow until summoned Just to get Ron off my case, THIS IS PROOF OF HOW MY NEW YEARS WENT!!!!:celebrateIf only I could have OC'd the whole time ahahaha
    EDIT: nevermind :what:

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Bubba Ron wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I agree :?.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
    nova wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Bubba Ron wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    I agree :?.
    There goes another thread.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I want to add that manyof VA's sex laws went out the door a couple years ago. The Supreme Court had ruled on a Texas sodomy case and the ending result was basically government had no business in regulating sexual activity between consenting adults.

Several states' laws were cited in the reporting article as being the most likely ones to be invalidated.

I'll see about finding some links.

Link to Supreme Court case: http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/02-102.ZS.html

Link to FindLaw: http://writ.news.findlaw.com/grossman/20050125.html

Jan 2005 was when a lot of this went down... pun not intended.

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    Bubba Ron wrote:
    CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    All I can say is, YOU BASTARD, YOU LUCKY, LUCKY BASTARD.

I was just sitting infront of my TV the whole day and most of the evening/night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast