• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun ban in Virginia at Cookouts

PT111

imported post

Last night I was watching a TV show about the history or Bar-B-Que and they were discussing talking about the popularity of it and how teh Founding Fathers enjoyed it. They were discussing how it involved into such a social event and that it was common for the celebrations to include strong drink and rowdyness. In the discussions they talked about George Washington often threw such parties and things would get out of hand. The kicker was that in the early 1800's Virginia passed a law banning guns from Bar-B-Ques.

This is the earliest gun ban that I have heard of and goes against what everyone always says about our Founding Fathers. I haven't been able to find anything on this so does anyone have any information on this law? Maybe our Founding Fathers weren't so pro-gun as we thought.

ODA 226

imported post

If this is true, it is probably still on the books. (LMAO!) We in Virginia still have the most ridiculous, antiquated laws in the criminal codes. For example, it is against the law to kiss your wife in public on Sunday. It is against the law to sell toilet paper on Sunday. Oral sex is a felony. A police officer can kill you to prevent you from killing yourself...and the list goes on.

No, I cannot cite the codes as these laws are no longer enforced, but they are still on the books somewhere. Maybe someone with time and strong Google-fu can find these and some others that are laughable and post the specific codes? It could be fun and funny!

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Don't forget that it is illegal to have the lights on or use anything other than missionary. :uhoh: Virginia needs to go back through the laws and get rid of these outdated laws so that no one can pull them up in court:shock:

mkl

imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
If this is true, it is probably still on the books. (LMAO!) We in Virginia still have the most ridiculous, antiquated laws in the criminal codes.

Until this year serving Sangria was illegal. The spanish tapas place in King Street (La Tasca) was actually cited for it, as well as a few other restaurants in Virginia in the past few years. The law was changed, so now sangria is legal. Boilermakers and a variety of other drinks that mix beer and liquor are still illegal to serve. Instead of changing the law to remove these crazy alcohol restrictions, they just added an exemption by name for sangria.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+4.1-324

" Sell wine to which spirits or alcohol, or both, have been added, otherwise than as required in the manufacture thereof under Board regulations, except that a mixed beverage licensee may (i) make sangria that contains brandy, triple sec, or other similar spirits and (ii) combine beer or spirits, or both, with wine pursuant to a patron's order;"

I couldn't find anything about bbqs and firearms, perhaps it was a local ordinance that is now preempted...

Goliath

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
No more Cookouts for VCDL?:shock:
The BBQ's they had then were 3-5 day events, and real BBQ. A cookout is to BBQ , is what baking is to boiling. I think the VCDL cookout is safe.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I never realized what a damnable felon I was until after reading ODA226's and CRFrider's posts. I should be ashamed of myself.

Technically, I should be debarred the use of guns. :what:

Virginiaplanter

imported post

No such law. There were laws during the 17th century that made it made it illegal to discharge firearms in celebration except for weddings and funerals. The intent was to save powder and ball, and to not alarm the other inhabitants that the gun fire was a signal of an Indian attack. The History Channel made that up.

""That no commander of any plantation do either by himselfe or suffer others to spend powder and ammunition unnecessarily in drinking or enterntainments, &c." 1623.

"
[size="+1"]" Be it therefore enacted that what person or persons soever shall, after publication hereof, shoot any gunns at drinking (marriages and ffunerals onely excepted.) that such person or persons so offending shall forfeit 100 lb. of tobacco to be levied by distresse in case of refusall and to be disposed of by the militia in ammunition towards a magazine for the county where the offence shall be committed." 1655.

[/size]

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
mkl wrote:
I couldn't find anything about bbqs and firearms, perhaps it was a local ordinance that is now preempted...
This is a job for either Citizen or Nakedshoplifter.:lol:

Hawkflyer

Oh, now you've started it.

Since Nakedshoplifter is going to say it anyway, I might as well beat him to it and say it for him:

Obviously the 1623 and 1655 ordinances against spending ball and powder while drinking were aimedat my ancestors.

:)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Obviously the 1623 and 1655 ordinances against spending ball and powder while drinking we aimed my ancestors.

Well there is the single malt thing...
friday.gif

Neplusultra

imported post

Citizen wrote:

Since Nakedshoplifter is going to say it anyway, I might as well beat him to it and say it for him:

Obviously the 1623 and 1655 ordinances against spending ball and powder while drinking we aimed my ancestors.

Have we too been drinking tonight :^)?

Bubba Ron

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I broke those bedroom laws multiple times last night:what::celebrateLuckily there wasn't a LEO in the room or I could have lost my gun rights:uhoh:
Alex, you should give your hand a rest - you may need it for self DEFENSE :shock:

nova

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
I broke those bedroom laws multiple times last night:what::celebrateLuckily there wasn't a LEO in the room or I could have lost my gun rights:uhoh:
Alex, you should give your hand a rest - you may need it for self DEFENSE :shock:

Bahhaha that must be why they make ambi safties for 1911s :p

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Have we too been drinking tonight :^)?
ROFLMAO. No, but I see your point. I'll go back and fix it.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
Ron I am happy to say that her name was Kelsey:celebrate giggity giggity I was not carrying for obvious reasons but if need be the Glock can just hide out under the pillow until summoned:lol: Just to get Ron off my case, THIS IS PROOF OF HOW MY NEW YEARS WENT!!!!:celebrateIf only I could have OC'd the whole time ahahaha
n6236900_40368315_637.jpg