• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OPEN CARRY COURT CASE, IWB concealed?

joshuaeberly

imported post

my schedule just freed up, and I'm going to try to make it.
if anyone from Grand Rapids area, or driving through or near Grand Rapids area would like to split the gas money, please PM me with a phone number, I'll check this in the AM at the latest.

ghostrider

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I've come down with a cold. I don't think I'm gonna make it. :(
Sorry to hear that.

Got a but myself the weekend before Christmas, and it so depleted my immune system that I caught a cold that Monday that lasted a week and a half.

My stomach (as well as the rest of my system) is still recovering. Stuff has been going round. Hope you get well soon.

Michigander

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Michigander wrote:
I've come down with a cold. I don't think I'm gonna make it. :(
Sorry to hear that.

Got a but myself the weekend before Christmas, and it so depleted my immune system that I caught a cold that Monday that lasted a week and a half.

My stomach (as well as the rest of my system) is still recovering. Stuff has been going round. Hope you get well soon.
Feeling pretty good already. If it's the same cold my brother had, it should be pretty short lived. Took a vicoden a while ago. Only one weak one, but I still put my gun away. ;)

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Well, like his attorney said, the chance of a dismissal was about 0.03% so it's not a surprise. But when the judge started his decision it sounded like he got the lawful purpose statute as just examples, but it turned ugly when he said that count would go forward because of some contradictory testimony by the defendant so he wasn't sure. A good example of not talking to the police.

As for the concealed he did a 180 by saying that at first he thought it was open carry, then he looked up the words open, concealed, etc., and any pertinent law and felt that he wasn't sure so that count went through. He felt thatopen carry meant a holster outside the pants like "the wild west". He also pointed out that he felt the case law and the statute meant in regards to open vs concealed was that if a reasonable person sees the gun it's not concealed, but even thought the LEO saw the gun right away, the judge felt that LEO's are trained observers and are not average people and so he thought it should be up to a jury of ordinary people to decide if it was concealed or open.

Remember the judge has nothing to gain by dismissal and noting to lose by going forward.

Now the case goes to downtown Detroit with new judges and possibly a new prosecutor. With a jury pool of voting Detroiters.

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
Now the case goes to downtown Detroit with new judges and possibly a new prosecutor. With a jury pool of voting Detroiters.
I am really disappointed that it didn't end today. A shame, to say the very least, that he's being subjected to this crap.

khicks

imported post

you are right it is not cool to miss spell some one name or call them by the wrong name and i am sorry about that. it was nice to meet all of you and get a chance to meet ftf

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

khicks wrote:
you are right it is not cool to miss spell some one name or call them by the wrong name and i am sorry about that. it was nice to meet all of you and get a chance to meet ftf

Like I said, no big deal.

That was one bright spot today, meeting new friends.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Not really what he said.

He just feels that it should be up to a jury of "everyday citizens" to decide if a gun in a holster carried inside the waistband is open or concealed.

I tend to agree that it should be left up to a jury. Although I wish he would have just dismissed the charges.

conservative85

imported post

A firearm in holster is not concealed, this is documented. Even if most of the gun isn't visible, so if the holster is tucked in the pant, but the butt is still visible, whats the diff., I'd feel better if the man paid to make these judgments would do his job instead of leaving it up to the chance of getting a jury of anti-gun. You know in this case he will not get a jury of his peers, if this were true we all would be in the jury.