• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Leather Projects

JTWY

imported post

Hi Gang,
Well, I finally got my new camera going and I wanted to show you a couple pictures of my leather projects. Mind you, these were my first projects and are sewn by hand. I also didn't have the scribing tool to keep the stitches straight, so they are a little crooked ( I have that tool now ) but at least the holsters work and that's all I care about.

The first picture is of my Stitching Horse that the guy at the leather store gave me. It's not very pretty, but it works very well. And best of all, it was FREE. The stitching horse holds the leather for you so you have both hands free to sew your leather. You can also see my Speedy Stitching Awl on the top of the stitching horse.
The only tools I had to make these projects at the time were the Speedy Stitching Awl, a pair of sizzers, a utility knife, a snap tool kit and the stitching horse, so I was very limited in what I could do. But my wife got me a complete Leather Workers tool set for Christmas, so my projects should come out a bit better now??

DSC00006.jpg

This second picture is of the holsters I made. I didn't have a holster for my Kimber 1911 or my Ruger SP101, so I made them out of Scrap leather. ( That's the reason for all the different colors ). I got most of the leather free and the rest of the leather I only paid $3.00 a pound for.
I also made a holster for my Magazine clips for my 1911 so I can carry extra mags with me.

DSC00007.jpg

Here's a picture with the guns and mags in the holsters.

DSC00008.jpg

Here's the back sides showing the belt loops I sewed on.

DSC00009.jpg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nice work for a beginner! Very nice!

There is a tool available from the leather-working tool companies that lets you mark where the stitches are going to go--each hole--and then a punch of some sort that makes the holes so they go straight through.

Also, I'menvious of the 3" bbl Ruger SP101. Is it a .327 Mag? I see the rear sight, something lacking on the .38 and .357 Mag.

So, where did you get the leather?

JTWY

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Nice work for a beginner! Very nice!

There is a tool available from the leather-working tool companies that lets you mark where the stitches are going to go--each hole--and then a punch of some sort that makes the holes so they go straight through.

Also, I'menvious of the 3" bbl Ruger SP101. Is it a .327 Mag? I see the rear sight, something lacking on the .38 and .357 Mag.

So, where did you get the leather?

Thanks,

My wife just got me this tool set for Christmas http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?number=4899-00and I have that tool your talking about now.

The Ruger is chambered for the 32 H&R mag. ( About the same as a 38+P )

I have a friend who drives the trash truck for the city. He picks up dumpsters, and when he finds leather from the leather shops he brings it to my house. My friends tease me because they say I'm the only guy they know of that has the trash man deliver to their house. LOL

We also have a store that sells all kinds of fur and leather. You name it, they go it.

In the back of the store they have scrap bins. They sell regular scrap leather for $3.00 per pound and leather with the fur still on for $7.00 a pound. So I go there and pick through the barrels.

JT

P.S.

Taurus also makes a 32 mag ultra lite. http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus_UltraLite32.htm